Motoring Discussion > Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 100

Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - legacylad
Subject to inspection, the supplying dealer is buying back my Macan GTS. Their offer equates to 36% depreciation in 3.5 years and 13k miles...it’s due a major service in 6 months, a warranty will be applied, and re listed at approx £10k more than I’m being paid. Or so I was told. Currently only 9 GTS listed on the Porsche U.K. pre owned site, some poverty spec, others on the unnecessary 21” rims so quite a rare motor.
I’ve no intention of advertising it on AT and getting the ‘wrong kind’ of folks taking an interest. It goes away, gets checked over, and the money appears in my bank account.
Financially a big hit, as expected, but worth every single penny. An absolutely fabulous car, sensibly specced on standard wheels with no silly frippery, practical, docile around town with an amazing PDK gearbox, stupendous acceleration and handling with great build quality, the GTS is acknowledged as being the sweet spot in the range, but time to move on.

I’m sleeping on it for 48 hours. Every time I get in it, fire up the V6, listen to the exhaust gurgle for 30 seconds before it settles down, it still gives me that ear to ear grin like a lunatic.
Something different next...but I wouldn’t discount an older 911 at some point in future. No pockets in shrouds.
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - No FM2R
If you buy a car, use a car and sell a car and walk away happy with the experience, including the cost, then I don't think you can do any better.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 25 Feb 21 at 14:19
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - PeterS
And while the £10k seems like a big mark-up, the flip side is that 36% depreciation, while a lot of £ I am sure, is pretty good for a new car over 3.5 years. Barely used though ;)

But presumably means whoever buys it is looking at paying, what, 70/75% of the price of a new one for something approaching 4 years old...? Though I guess they’ve gone up in price a bit...
Last edited by: PeterS on Thu 25 Feb 21 at 15:11
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - Clk Sec
>>and re listed at about £10k more than I'm being paid.

The last used car that I bought was from a colleague about 30 years ago. His main dealer had offered him £5750 in part exchange for a new one, and my colleague offered it to me for £6750. While the main dealer was already advertising the car for £7750.

A decent deal for both seller and buyer - and it did me for a decade.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Thu 25 Feb 21 at 16:26
My car before the Porsche cost me £2k from a friend in the trade. I immediately fitted 4 Michelin X Climates, new belt, water pump and tensioner. Ran it for approx 15 months, sold for a few hundred profit. My motoring isn’t all milk n honey !
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - Duncan
>> Subject to inspection, the supplying dealer is buying back my Macan GTS. Their offer equates
>> to 36% depreciation in 3.5 years and 13k miles...it’s due a major service in 6
>> months, a warranty will be applied, and re listed at approx £10k more than I’m
>> being paid.

Did you - just out of curiosity - have a look to see what WBAC would have paid?
Yes.
Less
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - zippy
Legaclad, you clearly did the right thing getting the Porsche.

Not quite in the same league but I got a ridiculous salary sacrifice car when BIK didn't apply to them years ago and companies didn't insist their cars had CO2 outputs of 140g/m.

A 3.2 v6 Audi A4 convertible. The engine burbled and sang. I would love something similar now, but times have changed.
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - Runfer D'Hills
Go on then, just for fun, what has the depreciation cost per mile been?

Actually, maybe you'd better not calculate that...

;-)
You know what LL, and you know I enjoy winding you up about that car mostly, but being absolutely serious for once, I think you should keep it.

It clearly gives you great pleasure, you've spent the money, so enjoy it for years to come. At your current rate of use it'll be in fine condition for decades if required.
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - tyrednemotional
>> Go on then, just for fun, what has the depreciation cost per mile been?
>>
>> Actually, maybe you'd better not calculate that...
>>
>> ;-)
>>

...only needs a couple of runs to Spain and back to make that seem better......

;-)
I kind of agree with Runfer, but I'd add getting usage out of it.

Sure it might get scratched, or you might run the mileage up, etc. etc. It might even get nicked. But cars are made to be used.

I often quote my Grandmother. She had a battery transistor radio in her kitchen, in a house otherwise bereft of audio entertainment. She absolutely never used it because she didn't want to wear the batteries down, though my Grandfather insisted on changing them from time to time lest they leaked.

I expect she died with great batteries in that immaculate, unused radio.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 26 Feb 21 at 16:10
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - Clk Sec
>> I think you should keep it.

I'm inclined to agree. At over three years old a good lump of the depreciation is behind you, and like my motor, with your low milesge, it will likely give you another 15 years or so of reliable and enjoyable motoring. Why pass that on to someone else?

My modest low mileage Japanese limousine will celebrate its 19th birthday later this year.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 26 Feb 21 at 20:42
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - MD
Yes LL. It seems like an awful waste to step down now.
Going tomorrow
911 before I get too old. Won’t be new though.
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - Dog
Out of all the cars I tuned & roadtested - all c10,000 of 'em, the only one which really sticks in my mind, was ...

A Porsche 911.
>> 911 before I get too old. Won’t be new though.

Yeah, I get that. Bucket list thing maybe. Might ever so possibly be on mine too. Daft thing is, I suppose I could, if I chose to. Just a bit afraid of the never meet your heroes thing I guess.
But then you’ll never know.
I’ve been lucky with the female LLs in my life ...both knew I was a petrol head. The first Mrs LL met me when I had a Mk1 205 Gti, and talked me into getting a sensible Saab 9000 Turbo. Third hand from a garage in London who’d ceased trading. We flew down from Leeds after work, picked it up at Heathrow, drove home in time for last orders.
I’d coveted an UrQuattro which I’d seen parked in Keighley for quite a while. Saw one advertised, possibly in the DT, low and behold...bought it, again third hand, and she didn’t bat an eyelid as it was paid out of our joint account. Asked me if I liked it. I grinned. She grinned. Every one was happy. Best car ever. Even better than Barbie.
You can see the actual car on YouChew driven by Clarkson, G 646 JNV if memory serves me correctly. For my birthday she contacted the producer at TG, located at Pebble Mill in those days, got me a VHS copy of the road test ( Bainbridge in the snow) and a signed still photo by JC.

She still drives around in an ‘03 Lexus I recommended she buy. Shes’ not a petrol head !

I've been lucky enough to own a few fast-ish or at least sporty-ish cars in the past, a Volvo T5R, a Sierra Saphire Cosworth, a Golf Gti 16v and of course the Westfield. But I've never had anything super quick like a Porsche.

I have had the opportunity to drive a couple of 911s, and a Panamera that belonged to friends, and naturally, they were lovely.

The thought of buying one and growing old disgracefully does hold a certain appeal I suppose, but in some ways, I'm just as happy with cars that aren't suitable for Oulton Park, but that please in other ways.

Wringing the best out of my son's Aygo on the country lanes can be huge fun for example, without the sorts of speeds that would lead to danger to life, limb or licence.

I think I probably get my adrenalin rushes on my mountain bikes these days.

But, as I said, I do get where you're coming from.
Incidentally, LL, have you seen or heard of these new Yaris GR thingies? They sound like a bit of fun.
Yes. Not seen one in the metal but read the favourable reviews.
At this moment in time I would like an estate....I contacted Hyundai to see if they were introducing an estate version of the i30N, but no apparently.
A friend has the fastback version, far better looking than the 5 door hatch, and really likes it.
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - neiltoo
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtXoZ6_YNTs
Aye well, that driver is a bit nifty too eh Neil? Or, he was awfully late for work...

;-)
I get my kicks from more sedate long distance ( less so these days) walking, and hopefully more backpacking on the Wales Coast Path this summer.
I’m happy driving small cheap rentals, driving them reasonably hard on mountain roads I know well in sunny Spain. I’ve never driven Barbie hard. I’m not a good enough driver, and value both my life and licence.
Nearest I got was thrashing an identical model at the Porsche circuit, Silverstone, a freebie included with the purchase. Scared myself, even with a professional instructor telling me to go faster.
A 911 is really exciting and impressive, but kind of tedious to live with for any length of time.
No idea Runfer. Don’t care. Cheaper than divorce. Lot more fun and always brought a smile to my face. And I’m still good friends with them so think how good Barbie was.
So, just supposing one was, you know, ever so slightly interested in a used 911, hypothetically of course, what would be the sweet spot model to buy and at what sort of money? In theory naturally...
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - Bobby
A few years ago I had one of these driving-experience type days which involved a 911, Nissan GTR, Range Rover supercharged, Focus RS.

I remember thinking afterwards that the 911 just felt absolutely right and could easily be a daily driver as well as a fun weekend car. The GTR felt absolutely huge though probably isn’t. And the Focus RS was so highly tuned that it just wasn’t a pleasant car to drive.

For those who know the area, these were on the roads up Lochearnhead towards Oban and back.
Runfer. Now that is a coincidence.
I’ve just had a long chat with the lovely folks who turned up in a Taycan and drove away with Barbie. About that very subject. The sweet spot in that range between 7 & 10 years old.

The good news is that if you are of a certain age, buy one from a reputable source with a solid history, then running costs and depreciation are within the reach of mortals.

The bad news is that I’m in front of you on the waiting list. As of 60 minutes ago.

Don’t know if I’ve mentioned it but mine was in for a recall last year. Fuel flange under a rear seat...if it needed replacing it was a 2 hour job. They gave me the keys to an older 911 they had just taken in part ex, a sensible model, un prepped, and told me to return it in 2 hours.
I sat in it for 10 minutes, shuffled about, played with settings, and gave them the keys back. I just knew, deep down, that after two hours driving up the A6 over Shap, across to Keswick and a circuitous route through the Lakes and back to Kendal, what would happen.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 27 Feb 21 at 15:03
There are a huge amount of 911 varieties and GTs and RWD etc etc
Too confusing for me to consider ( lack of any money is irrelevant of course)
Well, the car could maybe be quite doable, but it's the additional on costs that would be the killer. And no, I don't mean the fuel, the insurance, the servicing etc.

I'm far more worried about the new kitchen, the new extension, the garden remodelling, the block paving and so on it would almost certainly cause to be urgent.

A friend of mine, who had always had large German estate cars, but, like me, with smaller Diesel engines, recently bought an E63 estate and had it debadged in the hope that his indulgence would pass unnoticed.

Which it did, for a week or two, until his brother in law dobbed him in.

The builders are already on site.

;-)
Shirley not.
Never had any repercussions this end with my spontaneous car buying indulgences...albeit normally third hand tasty motors.
I’m happy. She’s happy. End of.
Barbie now awaiting a new home from the Porsche Centre in Kendal. £10k more than they paid me, which is what they told me. They’ll do the major 4 year service due September.
It never looked that clean externally when I had it...mud and cow poo normally applied quite liberally down either flank.

I’m still looking for a cheap ( fun) practical runabout to keep me going...when the ‘proper’ replacement turns up I’ll get rid via WBAC so looking to buy something privately.
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - Netsur
>> A friend of mine, who had always had large German estate cars, but, like me,
>> with smaller Diesel engines, recently bought an E63 estate and had it debadged in the
>> hope that his indulgence would pass unnoticed.
>>
>> Which it did, for a week or two, until his brother in law dobbed him
>> in.

A friend only has Ranger Rovers. He changes every two or three years but keeps the reg from his first one about 12 years ago. I usually ring him within a day of the new one arriving, complimenting him (again) on buying another example of the least reliable vehicle known to man... "..I forget you know so much about cars..." he says.

Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - Zero
>> Which it did, for a week or two, until his brother in law dobbed him
>> in.

Not required, one look at those fake (bad ones at that) exhausts in the rear diffuser is sufficient

And you just know those debadged 5 series tourers are 520d's (its a no cost option for the sales manager drivers)
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 4 Mar 21 at 16:54
>>And you just know those debadged 5 series tourers are 520d's

Dunno about now, but back in the day when I was driving company cars, one of our managers worked out if he had absolutely no options he could squeeze a 518 onto his allowance. Debadged, of course.

It wasn't very good to be a passenger in, but it looked nice from 50 yards away or when it drove past.
I’ve just had a look at the Porsche Centre Kendal website.
Barbie was listed on Tuesday 2/03. It’s no longer listed, so presumably sold in double quick time.

I don’t miss it much. Walked everywhere for the past week...no rush for a replacement and still undecided as to whether to get a fun runabout for 6 months or try to source a ‘full time’ replacement.
The field is narrowing...a few lengthy conversations with a friend in the trade who has served his apprenticeship and headed up a few large automobile workshops.
Fortunately he’s a petrol head and some of his stories of oily bits letting go just out of warranty, the lack of manufacturer goodwill, and the cost to repair are eye watering. I won’t name marques, transmissions etc as someone will pop up and say that theirs has been 100% reliable, but he has strongly advised against a few potential purchases.
He still thinks I should buy a Focus ST estate and be done with it. He rates the 2.3 engine, but I have no desire to be the oldest boy racer in town. And it will be no good on rough mountain tracks in Spain.
I may well go for one of his recommendations, a very left field choice, subject to negotiating downwards on forecourt prices, and see how we get on. A few irons in the fire, and if we don’t get on I won’t lose a whole bunch on depreciation short term.
Not sure I can stand the suspense much longer.

Clues please !

;-)
Ok lets start the sweep.

Audi allroad.
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - cosec
Dacia Duster!
I still reckon a Qashqai would do the job. But not exactly left field. So a Suzuki Ignis it is ;)
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - zippy
Jimny?
Octavia Scout thingy
Or maybe this: www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102159101861

Or even this... www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1956-Citroen-2CV6-Van-Petrol-Manual-/164742475014

:p

Last edited by: PeterS on Thu 11 Mar 21 at 20:34
I didn’t mean to turn it into a guessing game.

Definitely not an Audi Allroad. He knows far too much about their complex innards going expensively wrong. As does the wife of a friend who bought a new one and got rid within 18 months after one too many return visits to the dealer.

He actually suggested a previous model Mazda 3. I didn’t see that coming. Naturally aspirated 2.0 petrol, the 165 engine. I’m told they’re reliable, handle well, decent build quality and the 2018 run out Sport Nav has lots of toys. Deals to be done and we both like Soul Red. Tonight he advised a long test drive, which is impossible at the moment, because he thinks I’ll find the lack of power quite challenging after the 330 and Barbie. And it’s a bit on the small side. But he reckons it’s ok on rough tracks should I take it to Spain the long way round.

OTOH I wouldn’t be unduly bothered about dings and scrapes on a cheaper Mazda 3 and it takes up less room on mountain roads.

Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 11 Mar 21 at 22:43
I spoke again last night with my pal in the trade. Various things count against the Mazda 3..no spare wheel, no Apple Car Play although it could be fitted retrospectively and not sufficient grunt when fully loaded with people and kit.
He said bite the bullet, get a decent hot hatch and if venturing on rough mountain roads go in someone else’s car !
He has a point.
Ok, may as well get this over with, no doubt it'd come out sometime...

We've just bought a new car for my wife. She'd had the Qashqai for 11 years and while it was causing no concerns, she just fancied a change

Reason I'm posting it here is that the replacement might be the sort of thing that could work for you LL. Well, it might anyway, if the plan of taking your car to Spain still stands.

It's a Jeep Renegade.

Yes, I know it's a Fiat
No, I haven't priced door mirrors
Yes, I know it's even more Barbie than your old car
No, I'm not going to grow a woodcutter beard.

Test drove one a couple of weeks ago and we both really liked it. It's like a big Panda. Getting it later today. She can't stop doing random little dances.

2018 Longitude spec, black/black 1.4 manual.

Ok, bring it on...

;-)
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - Crankcase
What kind of dances?
Little happy ones.
That’s all good then.
I’m still on foot....haven’t needed a car but a old runabout would be good interim measure until September, or whenever a proper replacement comes along.
My pal in the trade is phoning me tonight. ..see if he’s found me short term cheapie
>> That’s all good then.
>> I’m still on foot....haven’t needed a car but a old runabout would be good interim
>> measure until September, or whenever a proper replacement comes along.
>> My pal in the trade is phoning me tonight. ..see if he’s found me short
>> term cheapie

I know of a Qashqaaui thingy going, Its only 11 years old, and in good nick, just a little short of rear view vision.
Unnecessary.
The rear view vision that is
>> Little happy ones.

My first company car did that to me. It's nice to be happy and excited.
>>Jeep Renegade

We've briefly had two.

One was a replacement car about 10 years ago and the Renegade was more s*** than a s*** thing having a very s*** day. Coarse, cheap and horrible. We only had it 10 days and I detested the thing.

A year or two ago we had a second, also as a replacement car, and I raised hell when it showed up on the drive. I was forced to live with it for a day and surprisingly really rather liked it to the point that I rang up the garage, ate a considerable amount of humble pie and agreed to keep it for a week.

It was well equipped, much smoother to drive than the older one, and I swear the visibility was loads better, because I remember bitching about that on the older one.

So, 2010, oh dear. 2018, well done.

I liked it, I'd have one. It wasn't bad off road either, though it's clearance wasn't great.

Not so sure about a 1.4 engine though. That sounds a little, well, inadequate?

>> Not so sure about a 1.4 engine though. That sounds a little, well, inadequate?

No problem, I mean its not like he is not used to inadequacies in the engine compartment
Faire poin. But on the bright side it should bump up kerbs rather than dig into them.
Ok lovely, well done...

Finished now are we?

;-)
>>Finished now are we?

On balance I'd have to say probably not. It's been how many years so far? The odds are not in your favour.
According to AT, Black is the most prevalent colour of the Renegade.

Stands to reason that ultimately there will be more available in scrappers to cannibalise.
Picked it up tonight. Have to admit, I love it. Cross between, or love child of a Panda and a Landy.
Thats will be a Andy Panzy then. Most appropriate given the red or yellow desert boots on the pedals.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 18 Mar 21 at 08:45
Tee hee, didn't take you long, I'll give you that!

If you're really bored, Google "Jeep Renegade Easter Eggs", trivial but fun...haven't found them all yet.

;-)
Update on replacing Barbie.

After renting several Focus estates these past few years it was top of my short list. The 1.5 Active, 140 bhp, slightly raised ride height. Met all my criteria for internal space and occasional rough mountain roads. My experienced friend in the trade thinks I’ll struggle with the power drop...he is a big believer in the reliability of Fords 2.3 engine in the ST variant and 100% thinks I should get one. I’m more concerned about it’s lower ground clearance. And don’t need that performance.

Second on the short list was the XC40. T4, FWD ( don’t need AWD) with 190. Sufficient internal space for me, just about adequate performance, good ground clearance, sky high residuals at the moment so no deals to be had. Amazed that some specs of the T4 are in the higher VED bracket...didn’t mind paying it on the GTS but not an old blokes Volvo.

As my next car will be a long term keeper I’m being very spec specific..colour, options etc. Which rules out Motorpoint. So far.

In the meantime I’ll try to source a cheap practical runaround and reassess later in the year when extended test drives hopefully become reality. And the possibility of actually driving over to Spain becomes clearer.
First world problems.
Extrapolating your Focus with a bit of ground clearance thinking, how about a Kuga?

Supposed to be a nice drive, no idea what engine/gearbox options they have though.
Frankly I think your "friend in the trade" is being a dick.

Of course 140HP is sufficient, and there are far more (hundreds of thousands for 6 years) of non 2.3 ford engines all running perfectly happily that he hasnt seen.

Good call with the Kuga I would fancy one them, even tho it has an unreliable engine - NOT! give him a slap from me.
I never even considered the Kuga. ...thanks Runfer & Z I’ll have a look but still looking for a Focus Active Estate. Very high spec as standard. Pano roof etc etc. I’m sure 140 is sufficient to haul 4 adults and gear around. Ruby Red is my preferred colour...I’m on the case !
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 26 Mar 21 at 13:06
My ( sorry, "her" ) little Jeep has 140bhp. Goes very well. Babe magnet too y'know...

;-)))
>> My ( sorry, "her" ) little Jeep has 140bhp. Goes very well. Babe magnet too
>> y'know...

No no no no A magnet for babes, its not the same.
Well, I find that women point, nudge each other and giggle coquettishly when I drive past them in it...

What else could that possibly mean?

;-)

Edit - Men however, just sort of shake and hang their heads, clearly in sorrow and despondency that they don't have one...
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 26 Mar 21 at 14:05
Runfer...still enjoying the Renegade ?
I still don’t need a car, using irregular buses, trains but predominantly legwork, although a Focus Estate in the perfect spec for me has just arrived on my radar, so I’m tempted to jump toward the blue oval.
And if I find it’s not for me after short term ownership, I know someone who’ll buy it from me.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 8 Apr 21 at 09:09
It's tough to go far wrong with a modern Ford LL. I'm sure if you went for it you'd be very pleased with it.

Yes, the Renegade continues to please. In fact I've been using it quite a lot for shorter runs that wouldn't be the best for a diesel.

Just makes us both smile, which is a rare thing at the moment.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 8 Apr 21 at 09:31
That was easy.
A few questions asked...no photos of the Ford Direct vehicle but don’t need them. Confirmed a spare wheel, no rim damage, agreed price, considered for 5 seconds, deposit paid. Collect Monday.
My last Ford, if you exclude the Focus Tdci which my trade pal bought on my behalf as a cheapo runaround, was a silver Sierra XR 4x4. Jeez I feel old now.....
Good stuff! I'm sure it'll be a great car for you.

C'mon then, colour, spec etc required urgently!

( it'd look nice with some bike racks on the roof...)

;-)
Bike racks. Cheek.
No room with the sea kayak and paddle board

Active X. 1.5 150 engine. Magnetic Grey ( so the stupid black plastic wheel arch trims don’t stand out).
Should be ok up rough mountain roads in sunny Espana.
Train from Settle to Coalville Ford on Monday.
And Tuesday.
Gets great reviews. Hope you enjoy it. Sounds perfect for the uses you have previously described.
It doesn’t look a very large estate, but quite commodious
>> It doesn’t look a very large estate, but quite commodious

Well I guess its big enough for toner cartridges, ink and lots of springs and rollers. A thousand photocopier engineers cant be all wrong.
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - tyrednemotional
>> >> It doesn’t look a very large estate, but quite commodious
>>
>> Well I guess its big enough for toner cartridges, ink and lots of springs and
>> rollers. A thousand photocopier engineers cant be all wrong.
>>

...yeah, but it looks like he's only concerned about getting his commode in.....
>> It doesn’t look a very large estate, but quite commodious

Your news prompted me to watch a couple of reviews of that model. One of them made reference to it having some kind of revised rear suspension set up that made the loadspace bigger or or something. Which I nerdily enough thought was a good thing.
I looked it up. It's a good looking car and looks nice inside, but are you sure about the size?

I thought 5 adults and luggage was a requirement? It doesn't look big enough for the 5 adults never mind the luggage.
That Focus would take a big old roof box if required, I usually put a 600 litre one on top of the Merc for my Milan trips. Hardly notice it's there with the cruise control on at 130kph. Just have make sure it's fastened on properly.
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - BiggerBadderDave
"Just have make sure it's fastened on properly."

We don't want to lose the wife, do we?
Heh heh !

As a by the way, my wife has an IAM ( institute of advanced motorists or something ) qualification.

I haven't. Can you begin to imagine what that can be like on a long journey when I'm driving?

:-(
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 8 Apr 21 at 19:04
>>As a by the way, my wife has an IAM ( institute of advanced motorists or something ) qualification

I would just remind her its Mirror Signal Manoeuvre

Not the other way round.

Oh yes, of course, I do, not often, but often enough to keep the moral high ground.

;-)

>> As a by the way, my wife has an IAM ( institute of advanced motorists
>> or something ) qualification.

Snap. Although in my case it’s an ex Mrs LL. Imagine the high ground when she passed her IAM test. I never thought for one moment....so naturally I had to follow suit.

And I still think she’s a carp driver, lacking in confidence, dents and scrapes on every corner of her car, and for some unimaginable reason refuses to drive an automatic. Not that she’s ever tried. Go figure.

Whilst on the subject a friends wife has never driven on a motorway, hasn’t driven in the dark for 20 odd years, avoids dual carriageways wherever possible, crawls along at 40 in a NSL, has never driven her husbands car and actually hasn’t driven her own car for 15 months. I suggested confidence boosting refresher lessons in a dual control instructors car to her husband. Eyes rolled. More than his life’s worth to even mention it.
Is the new Focus an auto or a manual?

I tend to prefer autos, but have to say, I'm enjoying driving the Renegade manual. Slick little gearbox actually. 6 speed.
Manual. I did not want an auto..spoilt after the PDK on Barbie, and I’m sure both you and Z agree that BMW and Benz autos take some beating.

I seriously considered a T4 FWD XC40, subject to a long test drive. Far better build quality, cabin ambience, but not very favourable reviews with regard to the auto box, and being a Luddite I prefer the simpler controls of Henry...prodding away at a touch screen for heater controls gets my goat as I have found with long term hire cars.

And who needs a sitty up girly car anyway which can carry fewer spare copier parts than a Focus Estate. And costs a whole load more money, although older T5s AWD models are dropping in price.
I loved Barbies heater controls. Simple toggle switches, and two very tactile push buttons fell to hand to adjust the heating without taking eyes off the road.
I quite like the ford synch 3 control system, it has all you need, is very simple to set up and does andoid auto/apple car play very well
Yes, I think I'd probably have gone with a manual on that car. Instinctively feel it would suit it better. Ford manual gearboxes are usually delightful.

I'm sure you're going to love this car, it's an old cliche, but it does seem to be one of those "all the car you could ever need" choices.

Could easily see me in one at some point. I'll be very interested to hear how it works out for you.

Should be relatively inexpensive to fuel, insure and maintain you'd think. Reviews suggest sprightly performance and neat handling. It'll probably not go wrong, but if it ever did, repair costs should be sensible too.

Great choice in my opinion, hope it does you very well.

>> Great choice in my opinion, hope it does you very well.
>>
Sadly it isn’t love at first sight. 135 mile drive home yesterday evening, J22 of M1 uphill slip, into third, foot to floor and not a lot happened. Closer to home the lack of power became very apparent on the country roads I know, and it’s both ridiculous and unfair to compare my previous 330 & Barbie to Henry.
Handles well enough, lots & lots of toys, very practical, but I was honestly expecting a bit more get up and go from the 1.5 as opposed to the 1.0 engines I’ve had in previous Focus rentals.
Let’s hope I grow into it, otherwise it may well be a very short relationship.
And I really don’t miss the sitty up driving position whatsoever.
Oh that's a shame LL !

Is there a 7 day money back deal or anything with this car? There was with our little Jeep because we'd bought it online. Fortunately, she likes it very much so it wasn't an issue, but if you're really not happy, maybe there is an escape route?

>> I was honestly expectinga bit more get up and go from the 1.5 as opposed to the 1.0

YOu need to find the sweet spot in the rev range, too high and its breathless, two low and its gutless. In all honestly the 1.5 is not a great advance on the (i think) nice flexible little 1.0
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 13 Apr 21 at 11:05
After several weeks rentals with the 1.0 in Spain, both Fiesta & Focus, that 3cyl seemed fine. When driving it like you stole it....within reason...
To be fair I really like the compact external dimensions of the estate vs internal space. Handles brilliantly. Reasonably quiet on the move, frugal, comes with all the option boxes ticked, just doesn’t have that je ne sais quoi. I’ll give it a few months, and I know two friends, with the necessary funds, owners of ageing estate cars who would buy it from me in a worst case scenario.

But I did have a sneaky look for 330/340 Tourings this AM ( keep shtum Z)

>> But I did have a sneaky look for 330/340 Tourings this AM ( keep shtum
>> Z)

Which is where you should have been snuffling your snout in the first place.
 Porsche - Auf Wiedersehen Barbie - Mr Moo
How does the performance compare to your short term Focus TDCI from a few years back? I seem to recall you being quite impressed by the fairly torquey engine and economy of that flavour of Henry.
So did you genuinely buy a car without ever having test drove it? Or a similar model with the same engine?
>> So did you genuinely buy a car without ever having test drove it? Or a
>> similar model with the same engine?

I’ve had recent Focus estates as rentals overseas for at least 6 weeks in total, and been in friends similar rentals.

I can think of at least ten, probably more in reality, cars I’ve bought without test drives. Several without even seeing...Mk 1 Polo ( RWX 566R) 205 Gti ( B211 UCP) Mk1 GTi (AUM 880 X) Saab 9000S (H something) Quattro (G646 JNV) Audi 80 Sport ( B626***) RS2000, Defender 90, Morgan 4/4 ( bought new, advertised and sold the day after I took delivery)
Four of those I bought without even seeing...three being brand new.
Two further cars at auction. Four off friends...I never drove them ( 3 Subaru’s, 1 Volvo).
Make that at least 20 I’ve bought without driving.

Arthur Daley eat your heart out !
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 13 Apr 21 at 23:21

>> I thought 5 adults and luggage was a requirement? It doesn't look big enough for
>> the 5 adults never mind the luggage.
>>
Only when driving from base camp Espana into the mountains...day sacks, not much kit.

For the journey out to Spain through France/Pyrenees/Picos de Europa max of 3 adults and their toys.

My 90/180 day routine will have to change commencing 2022..the 90 days will be used up mid September-mid December 2021. The Southern Hemisphere beckons. He says optimistically.
I’m warming to Henry. More internal room than Barbie, filled to the brim with logs earlier this week, and gardening stuff yesterday.
The HUD which I mistakenly thought was just a gimmick is quite a useful feature, the B & O sound system is excellent, and the full length pano roof floods the cabin with light. Nice ( manual) gear change as expected, decent handling even when fully loaded, and cruises acceptably at 80 with subdued wind and tyre noise on a long dual carriageway trip Thursday.

Let’s see how it behaves 4 up in Scotland end of April, fully loaded with kit and muddy walkers.
Not a distant trip...Melrose, Lauder and the Berwickshire Coast for 7/8 days.
Latest Forum Posts