Motoring Discussion > Dodgy dealers and daft buyers. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 10

Dodgy dealers and daft buyers. - Fenlander
Just had an 80yr old relative call with their new to them 2004 HDi C3. I'd been told they were buying one at a local small side-of-the road dealer, that it looked OK, was HPI clear, had service history and was one owner. It had been described on the ad as a very good example of this economical small car. Sounded OK on the face of it.

The reality was a mile away. As it arrived on the drive I noticed all 4 wheel trims where gnarled round the edges and the brand new front tyres were the cheapest rubbish available.

When they opened the door the smokers stench was overpowering and immediately I saw the light coloured upholstery was shabby and all the silver door pulls scratched back to black.

A look round outside revealed the front bumper/grille was very recent and looked a pattern part, a scuff down to primer on one wheelarch, the passenger front door and sill had been resprayed and paint on the sill was peeling at the bottom.

Looking in the boot at the spare I could see a crinkle in the boot floor from a previous mild rear end shunt.

The service history turned out to be just that the seller had looked at the MOT history online to confirm mileage. There was a handbook but no folder, service book or radio/CD manual. I noted the service mileage countdown didn't come on with the ign and the trip miles function was missing.

Under the bonnet I could see the oil had been changed but the pollen and air filters were dirty... and the expensive (£50)) fuel filter hadn't been changed at a recent supposed major service.

What a typical small dealer dog of a car.... however there is nothing specific to complain about really and the buyer had every chance to inspect the car so they'll just have to live with it.

Amazingly they opted not to buy an immaculate better spec proper full history C3 a year newer with 25k less miles and a proper years warranty at the Citroen dealers because it was £500 more.

You can't help some folks.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 18 Sep 10 at 11:03
 Dodgy dealers and daft buyers. - Bill Payer
If they're anything like most 80yr olds, it'll get a fair few more dings and dents over the coming months.
 Dodgy dealers and daft buyers. - Bigtee
What did you tell them once you looked over the car and saw all this? Did you lie and say yes it looks nice or tell them it's a dog?
 Dodgy dealers and daft buyers. - RattleandSmoke
I would be more worried if that cam belt had been changed. Have you also checked the airbag lights? The bags may have been simply disconnected and the bulb taken out.
 Dodgy dealers and daft buyers. - Iffy
Sad story, but as BP says, the nice car might soon have become tatty in their hands.

The kink in the boot floor worries me slightly.

Cosmetic damage and a dodgy service history is not very clever, but neither has the potential to kill you.
>>>Did you lie and say yes it looks nice or tell them it's a dog?

A very good question and one that expands into life well beyond motoring.... *what do you think of my new girlfriend then?*

I grumbled about the cheap tyres and apparent non-function of the trip/service indicators. Beyond that there was absolutely no point in depressing them.

In the past though had another elderly relative bring a newly purchased £6k used car car on the drive that I could see had serious issues. 15mins later I'd found it was a diy repaired crashed car with the rear door pillar and parts of the sill section cut from another car and poorly welded in. Told them, typed up a report, did a video and they drove it straight back to the dealer obtaining a full refund and their old car back.

>>>Sad story, but as BP says, the nice car might soon have become tatty in their hands.

True a few scuffs perhaps but they would have the servicing kept up by the book and their interiors stay immaculate if good at the start. Boot floor crinkle was minor but just another sign of the cars careless use.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 18 Sep 10 at 11:42
 Dodgy dealers and daft buyers. - Bigtee
.... *what do you think of my new girlfriend then?* She's a little cracker in the sack id say.!!

My grandad bought a A160 cdi 54 plate he got it because it's a "Mecredes" The A class is not the same build quality as the others and this one has had a front end shunt new panels and you can see were it's been pulled on the jig.

However it drives nice i took it upto 90mph it's nice and comfy but he loves it & if id have looked over it before he bought it id have noticed the jig marks but it's there money and choice if they ask for no help nowt you can do.
 Dodgy dealers and daft buyers. - Westpig
>> Told them, typed up a report, did a video and they drove it straight back to the
>>dealer obtaining a full refund and their old car back.
>>
I've never been able to understand why people like this don't come and speak to people like you BEFOREHAND. You are obviously willing to help and share your knowledge.. and they must know that.

I'm not singling out your family by the way..we've all got them.

I'm a complete plank when it comes to IT, so a fairly recent computer upgrade involved a mate from work..who was glad to help.

I have a rant when I watch any consumer programmes, so much so i've agreed with my wife we won't watch them any more (see Kwik Fit thread)..because I think a fool and his money is easily parted with and 'er indoors thinks i'm too harsh on them. Maybe i'm just a grumpy old man...that's what she says?

It is frustrating as I live just ten mins from the dealer and the buyers had to pass my house to look at the car and then again when they collected.

I knew they'd not ask me though so my only advice was to go the main Citroen dealer where the cars are at least to a standard and the warranty better with proper parts and a workshop able to repair the cars.
 Dodgy dealers and daft buyers. - Westpig
Some people's eye for a bargain seems to blot out any common sense.
 Dodgy dealers and daft buyers. - Iffy
...Some people's eye for a bargain seems to blot out any common sense...

Very true.

Seen that at fake auctions held in upstairs rooms in pubs and clubs.

There was a company, based in Manchester, which would turn up in a town in two or three large vans, and clear off literally within minutes of the auction ending.

The scam was to show reasonable quality goods from the rostrum, say a saucepan set or a camera, but give the punter a cardboard box containing the cheapest possible example of the item.

Most buyers would plonk the box in the back of the car without opening it.

By the time they realised they'd been had, the auctioneer was 50 miles down the motorway.

Latest Forum Posts