Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen - Strange happpenings.
Thread Author: Oldgit Replies: 15

Volkswagen - Strange happpenings. - Oldgit
For the last two weeks we have driven into a deserted Glades Shopping centre to get food from Marks and Spencer.
After an hour or less we go back to the car via the pay station and pay for our time. When we approach the exit barriers it should lift automatically (ANPR) the barriers but doesn't so have to offer up our ticket to the scanner.
Right having set the scene. After we left, the first week an Amber warning Triangle appeared on my instruments and this was due apparently to a front parking sensor not working. This cleared upon re-starting the car after stopping a traffic light.
This week doing exactly the same thing, upon leaving the car park another Amber warning came up saying that Front Assist was disabled. Again this was cleared after re-starting the engine.
This has never happened with our journeys I make during the day in between our visits to that car park and has never ever happened before using that car park in The Glades.
Do you think there is a fault with the car or is there some interference in that car park now?
 Volkswagen - Strange happpenings. - Zero

>> Do you think there is a fault with the car or is there some interference
>> in that car park now?

Try cleaning out the sensors, but yes it could be something to do with the barriers.
 Volkswagen - Strange happpenings. - Rudedog
OG we live in the same area, that barrier is often temperamental and the last time I visited in my previous MK5 I had to manually scan my ticket as the auto recognition wasn't working (I always make a point of keeping my ticket now rather than discarding it like many do at the pay stations).

I haven't visited The Glades since I bought my Mk7.5 so I can't tell you if something is affecting the car, although I'm pretty sure it's just an optical camera looking at the number plate.

Remind me which mark Golf you have, obviously the front assist uses the radar sensor located either below the bumper on the Mk7 or behind the big VW badge on the later cars.

I've re-read the online manual and front assist usually only throws up faults if there is something wrong with this radar, either obstructed (dirty, leaves) or faulty, occasionally I heard they need recalibrating.

Maybe the radar was picking up reflective interference from the closeness of the barriers at the exit?

Once I make a visit myself I'll see what happens.

>>
>> Remind me which mark Golf you have, obviously the front assist uses the radar sensor
>> located either below the bumper on the Mk7 or behind the big VW badge on
>> the later cars.

I have a 2016 MK7 and everything in and around the front apron and radar sensor is clean and free from debris and dirt etc.
Normally when I leave that car park prior to the new year nothing ever happened though at times the barrier didn't lift upon approaching and one has to use the bar coded ticket. I did think that ii might be the auto headlights interfering with the recognition camera so often used to turn those lights off when approaching the barrier however since Christmas the auto gates don't lift upon approaching them thus necessitating the scanning of the ticket.
 Volkswagen - Strange happpenings. - henry k
>>I have a 2016 MK7 and everything in and around the front apron....is good.
Your MK7 might have been nudged and the radar slightly moved
Is the cruise control still working ( not in the car park) ?
Last time in investigated a realignmentfor sons Q5 is was circa £400 for non Audi job.
When you see what is required I am not surprised at the quote.

For many months Kingston Sainsbury's number plate reader failed reading my X Type.
It was a legal format but i think a fixing screw confused it.
Eventually the reader got fixed.
All other such systems could read my number plate.
>> >>I have a 2016 MK7 and everything in and around the front apron....is good.
>> Your MK7 might have been nudged and the radar slightly moved
>> Is the cruise control still working ( not in the car park) ?

Everything was checked and re-aligned and has been working perfectly since that accident in July 2017 exactly 12 months after purchasing the car new. Don't forget both temporary faults weren't the radar sensor as one was an parking sensor i.e one of those circular apron inserts.
Only two Amber triangles in two weeks for different things upon leaving the Glades car park.
 Volkswagen - Strange happpenings. - Zero
cold be low voltage issues after a start?
>> cold be low voltage issues after a start?
>>

Possibly but I thought that would happen first thing after standing overnight etc. Anyway the conditions are such that the Start/Stop hasn't worked for some weeks as the correct parameters for functioning can't be met with ambient temperature, low charge and a host of other things.
When it does work I turn the damn thing off straightaway.
A longish drive is called for on a dry afternoon in the next few days as have only done 30 miies this week.
 Volkswagen - Strange happpenings. - bathtub tom
>> as have only done 30 miies this week.

I've only done 1K since March! Filled up with super unleaded before Christmas, so I didn't have as much ethanol mouldering away in the tank.
>> >> as have only done 30 miies this week.
>>
>> I've only done 1K since March! Filled up with super unleaded before Christmas, so I
>> didn't have as much ethanol mouldering away in the tank.
>>

May I respectfully ask why you have done such ow mileage. Are you not allowed to go out or shielding because of a compromised immune system?
My annual mileage is also down because of lack of facilities after, say, an hour's drive, to use toilets etc and at times there have been no pubs open.
Last edited by: Oldgit on Sat 9 Jan 21 at 09:02
 Volkswagen - Strange happpenings. - Bromptonaut
>> May I respectfully ask why you have done such ow mileage.

I'm not far adrift from the same position. My Fabia would normally cop a 12 mile return commute plus various trips around UK other than those with the caravan. It might have got as far as the Isle of Lewis were it not for lockdown.

Used for occasional trips to the shops but Mrs B does most of those as her mental health requires her to get out of the house. It's not moved this week.

Volkswagen - Strange happpenings. - bathtub tom
SWMBO is immuno suppressed and I'm not going out as I'd be no use to her if I caught it. I do voluntary work for a charity that involves mixing with the public, so that's gone out the window since March. The car does a 'click-n-collect' once a week. We reasoned having deliveries would involve mixing with one person the same as click-n-collect, so we decided to save ourselves three quid.
That reminds me it sounded sluggish when starting this week, I'll put the battery on charge.
 Volkswagen - Strange happpenings. - Duncan
Why has my mileage dropped?

Apart from - no rugby, no bridge, no tour guiding at Twickenham, no Probus, no Arts Society, no Masons, no U3A, my pub is shut, my sports and social club is shut.

Well, apart from that - nothing.
 Volkswagen - Strange happpenings. - Lygonos
My Kizashi's front parking sensor used to bleep while waiting at a certain set of traffic lights (at a canal bridge - presumably some buried sensor to see if a car was waiting)

My 2000 Forester would sometimes not unlock/start in very specific spots near a mobile phone mask (roll the car 10 feet and it was fine).

RF interference or a low 12V (my FRV's electric windows malfunction on low battery) are the likeliest culprits I suspect.
 Volkswagen - Strange happpenings. - tyrednemotional
>>.... near a mobile phone mask
>>

...was that one of those 5G ones (allegedly) responsible for spreading Covid....?
Went back to The Glades again this morning but this time parked in our usual place we normally park in next to the open atrium where the escalators are in addition to the lifts and upon leaving no abnormalities at all with amber warnings upon leaving the exit barriers which are still refusing to lift automatically on exiting.
Next week we'll therefore park back in our recent spot where that appeared to result in amber warnings upon leaving.
Latest Forum Posts