Motoring Discussion > Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 79

Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Bigtee
Tonight at 8pm Watchdog looks into the shoddy work with kwik fit and might be other fast fit places, Will give comments after i have watched it.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - CGNorwich
Wish someone would look into the shoddy work by Watchdog
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Stuartli
Kwik-Fit and most similar outlets are franchises, so in the end it comes down to the quality of the employees working at each outlet.

Not that I'm against exposing any deserved criticism....
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Bellboy
Kwik-Fit is owned by French private equity group PAI Partners

>
>>>>>>>> it is NOT a franchise
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - MrTee43
I always get my oil and filter changed on my Toyota HiAce there. When It was about £20, I reckon they were doing it at a loss.

Gone up to 29 now though.
They took 10 cars in & don't check the brakes or tyres this is there bread & butter money, Very poor service.
when you consider that tyres are supposed to be their core business im gobsmacked
and i dont get gobsmacked often in fact last time it was 1981 and not even my fault
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - -
I'd like to see specific faults and details of discrepencies between the expert's and KF's opinion.

The Mitsubishi pick up apparently needing a brake overhaul was a very recent model, did anyone else wonder why the owner would go anywhere near KF with such a vehicle, and only visited the main dealer after KF, doesn't add up.
maybe customer had a voucher that said a free check?
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Zero
I trust watchdog about as far as I could throw a dog.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Old Navy
>> I trust watchdog about as far as I could throw a dog.
>>

I trust watchdog as far as I trust any of the motor trade. (Sorry Bellboy and colleagues).
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Manatee
>> I trust watchdog about as far as I could throw a dog.
>>

Ditto. But more than Kwik Fit.

Mrs Dugong used to have a Sierra. I had a "free MOT" voucher from the (now departed) Charlie Brown's , in Banbury IIRC. Hope did not triumph over expectation. They failed it and gave me a list of repairs that needed doing. I left in disgust. That car passed at least three MOTs after that, at the village Ford dealer and another local garage, without any of the 'necessary' work.
It's the same old chestnut as it's always been they pay them a low wage like £15k and are expected to make the rest up in bonus, Each month has different targets higher than the years before.

How do i know i worked for them back in the early 90's i moved on to a different trade but will remember you had to sell shockers, brakes, tyres, the customer came in with a puncture and left with a new tyre the old casing ( the tyre) was repaired and sold to the second hand tyre shop or his mate or a taxi driver down the pub, it still happens today.!!

The £15k wage is true thats what there paying in Leeds at a local one and targets have to be met, Tom Farmer set the firm up and sold it some time in late 90's i think.
yer but wheres gibby?
yer but wheres gibby? What?
>> yer but wheres gibby? What?
>>
>>>>>> gibby was the area "manger" for tommy in the 70's
Was he called John Gibbons by any chance? There was a area manager who worked from Derby but lived in Leeds.
i just know him as gibby
nice man by all accounts
good at his job
get the lads cars on the ramps if its quiet makes the place look busy see he would say
i still remember that because if im sat down at work customers always say are you quiet then?
so always look busy even if you have no a*** in your pants i was always taught
is he well?
If he's the same man he must have retired some time back, i went back in with a works van in approx 2001 he was still there but looked ready for retirement then so id say he must have done so, Next time i pop in with this works van i'll ask the old hands i worked with.

He was a nice man a bit plump but arn't we all now.! lol.............

ok thanks.
Bellboy...........................John Gibbons (gibby) retired some 12 years back i popped in to see some of the old relics who still work there, & it seems a few more went around the same time as the company changed ownership they took the cash and left.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - RattleandSmoke
My experience with Kwikfit has been ok but the odd tyre and an exhaust on the Fiesta is as far as my experience goes. The exhaust was about £65 fitted and is nearly three years old now. 25,000 miles later its still working.

I wouldn't trust them with anything more though simply because there is too much variation in the employees. I would much rather trust a local indie with a sensor diagnostics than some bloke in a large store.

My friend took her Clio to Kwikfit who adviced her brakes were getting worn and should be replaced. The MOT a few weeks later at the Renault dealers said they were fine, some wear but don't need replacing and wasn't an advisory. Now a year later and about 20k they did fail the MOT on worn discs and pads. I think Kwkift were very careful in their language as they did not say they need replacing now etc but advised they should be replaced. This is where the matter of opinion comes into it. Some people think its ok to leave pads till they are almost down to metal other people would replaced them when they still have a few thousand in the.

In short I don't trust any of the large fast fits as much as I don't trust large computer stores or big building companies.

While I am sure most the horror stories are probably true people don't tend to right about the good experiences.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Zero
Kwikfit is for tyres and exhausts,

Anything else is for me, a mechanic or a sparks.
Yep thats about my experience of it :). That said I am not sure my local (well 8 miles away) FIAT dealer will be much better but time will tell.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - smokie
Better? Dunno. Reassuringly expensive? Yes!
The first service will be about £140 which seems a lot for what a car which will have less than 4k on the clock and has a 1.1 8V engine. However its well worth it for peice of mind and it will be easier to sell on with a full FIAT service history.

Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - bathtub tom
Two stories:

A work colleague took a car to them, they advised its shocks were worn and advised replacement. He agreed and when given the bill, produced the receipt from less than a year ago when they were replaced by them.

Sister-in-law took a punctured tyre to them. They removed the tyre, hammered out the buckled rim and replaced the tyre at no charge.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Tigger
They used to vary so much

I had great service from the KF in CHesterfield (but probably 7 years ago, when I was working there), and lousy service from another who I don't think I can name - where I saw them charging for wheel balancing which they weren't doing (also about 7 years ago).

Now that I don't have a company car, I go elsewhere.
When we was in a rush like on weekends which was busy the rear wheels did not get balanced if you could get away with the customers not seeing you, the weight was just knocked on the wheel. same for caravans and trailers.

Tracking/ wheel alignment the gauges went on but because you had to sell at least 5 a day it was most of the time out, if in tolorance the nuts were cracked off the steering rack and mole grip marks made on the rack so it looks like it's been adjusted & copperslip on.

I was a young lad back then & did as i was told i beleive it still happens today & there is many more i can tell.!
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Dog
>> i was told i beleive it still happens today & there is many more i can tell.!<<

Do tell :)
When I was in the mobile car tuning game for 14 years I always binned the cars plugs, points, condenser, and often the air filter as well, even if the geezer said "but I only fitted them at the weekend", usually they were Champion plugs and Intermotor ignition parts, so the bin was the best place for them (IMO) I always used NGK plugs and Lucas or Bosch ignition parts and I would guarantee my work, which I couldn't do with likes of Champion or Intermotor.
How many times was I called a crook I wonder :-)
Wheel cylinders do weep but to make them "leak" old brake fluid was squirted into the seal/piston area and you was shown a leaking cylinder.

Tyres if your car had the popular choice of tyre back in those days was the 195 60 14 fitted to almost everything, i would have a buyer for them like the local taxi driver or my mate, So while on the ramp and you can't see a old screw that we pulled out of a puctured tyre with wear marks on was inserted into your tyre on the ramp near the wall were it can't be repaired legally.

You was sold a new one i would repair that and the manager would arrange for that to be sold to "his customer".

Fleet cars were stiched up all the time for this type of work were the compny had deep pockets.

We did not do air con back then was just brakes tyres servicing shockers cooling etc.
Kwik fit are the ones highlited on the show but im sure the rest of the fast fits will be smilling thinking they got away with it, it's upto you how you use them to fix your cars.
I always insist in watching them at fast fits, that way I know they have not just cut a hole in a brake pipe of sprayed some oil on a shock to make it leak.

The thing about shocks if they are leaking you know about it especialy over speed bumps. Again with a leaking break cylinder if it was leaking the brake fluid level would change and that is always cause for concern.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 17 Sep 10 at 11:55
You sprayed a little in the cylinder not loads not over the shoes just enough so when you peel it back there you go sir it's started to leak, That much you would not notice on your level.

We didn't spray shockers they did all leak a little to some extent but when you bounce them you can hear them suck air or show uneaven tyre wear, ask the customer first how long the owned the car if they say not had it long you have got them!

I say it again i was a young lad looking back not too proud but it was my job then & i needed a wage if things went boobs up and i had to go back i don't think id last very long.!
Last edited by: Bigtee on Fri 17 Sep 10 at 12:01
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - bathtub tom
>>if it was leaking the brake fluid level would change

As disc pads wear and self-adjusters do their job brake fluid level will fall.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Redviper
Two Stories and why I would never go to KF

100% True

1st the local* one to me

Ex Girlfriends dad took his Honda for a replacement tyre, they put it up on the ramps and Replaced the tyre while he was stood in the reception place.
While the tyre was going on Employee went under the car and casually sprayed oil underneath the shockers and then tried to pass it off as leaking shockers.
Ex Girlfriends dad, went mad and in the end got a apology of the manager and a heavily discounted tyre.

2nd

Current Partner
Citroen C4 has a puncture 50 yards down the street from the KF place local* to us (Surprisingly).

We take it in and they try to sell a replacement Michelin for £250! And get all uppity when my partner declines so they replace it with a Pirelli for £160.
They then come back into the reception and advise that the rear disc (the same wheel) is badly scored and will need replacing but they must do two at the same time!
This is on a 2 year old car.
I go out and have a look at the disc, much to the annoyance of the KF fitter and there is nothing wrong with it (slight scoring)
“But it’s a safety issue, and we have the parts in stock” protests the KF Fitter “ I cant let you take away the car”.
Partners says “maybe we should get it replaced if its dangerous”
“There is nothing wrong with it, and if there is Ill have Citroen replace it under warranty, do you have a stockpile of discs or something out the back?” I challenge the KF Fitter.

“Well at least I’ve told you, don’t blame us if there is problem” scoffs in disgust the KF Fitter
“Phfft” says I, Thinking “ you must think im a mug”

1 Dealer service later and the same disc, its still absolutely fine, the scoring has polished out, car has done 35K miles on that disc I know it may need replacing soon but the car had only done 20k miles when KF said it was “damaged”

* I don’t want to name names but for the people who know where I am on here they should figure it out. In the two nearest industrial towns linked by a famous railway line.
Last edited by: Redviper on Fri 17 Sep 10 at 12:22
good posts bigtee
fast fit places always work on the scenario
brakes/danger /fear
open your wallet NOW.....
read in the paper today (the sun,in my barbers i might add) that a senior mp wants mot taken away from garages and only to be done by council workshops
TARGETS=PROFIT=MUGS
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - R.P.
Is the barber's a fast fit ? - "Must say Mr BB that moustache is dangerously lopsided - could cause an accident, do you want us to fix it ?"
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - BobbyG
The best folklore story re KF is the free safety check where they tell the woman that she needed new brakes all round at £500 or whatever. She tells them to go ahead, gets it done and when presented with the bill, she promptly gives them the year's guarantee she got for the last set from them... six months ago!
Back when I was in the motor trade, my brother took his daughters little car in to a fast fit to have some tyres fitted,
They took him for some shockers while they were about it, I was actually with him at the time and advised him against their 'advice' but he said he wanted to be sure the car was OK (understandably) for his daughter,
still - he had plenty of the green folding stuff so its just a redistribution of wealth really (Social-ism?)
KF tried it on with my daughter when she was a youngster and had an exhaust problem, she phoned me saying they had taken her brakes apart and wanted almost £400 and had refused to let he have her car back. When I arrived they tried it on with me too, until I told them if they would not reassemble the car I would and I would tie up their ramp all day. They insisted the car was unsafe untill I got a big toolbox from my car. As I had serviced the car a few weeks earlier and you could still see traces of coppaslip on the brakes you would wonder why they insisted there was a problem.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Redviper
See KF's Response to Watchdog Here

www.kwik-fit.com/watchdog.asp
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - TheManWithNoName
Three things come out of all this.

Buyer beware

trust your instincts

and finally

don't be afraid to get a second opinion
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - madf
KF did my tracking in March. It elet strange.

I went to ATS who checked it and found it was miles out - they let me see the laser setup and the amount out. Only 1 track rod end had been adjusted - the other one had not been touched.. (I believe it was very tight)..

Needless to say, after getting a good job on aircon regassing and an MOT, I'm not going there again.

They are of course expanding into car maintenance... !
Last edited by: madf on Fri 17 Sep 10 at 14:13
After leaving Kwik fit i went to Charlie browns Autocentres before i saw the light and got out of the fast fit race.!

At cb's you was paid a bonus on shockers £3.00 per pair , tracking £1.00, wheel balance 25p per wheel, brake pads £2.00 per set, discs £3.00 per set. shoes £2.00, a full exhaust was £2.00, certain makes of tyres came with bonus up to £1.00-3.00 depending on brand.

Batteries the cheaper range you got nothing but the premium you got £3.00 so winter come the drop tester went on to flatten it and you got the premium.

So in a good day a fitter "me" could make anything upto £25-30 in bonus you worked 5 days sunday was overtime saturday was usually busy same as public holidays, So on a standard service i would recomend to you after the road test you need all 5x wheels balanced, your wheel alignment is out, and on inspection you need set of shoes, 2 wheel cylinders and front pads, You got off easy.!!

The parts removed discs went in one steel bin with drums pads in another all weighed in for the xmas party and boy there was some cash in the pot.!
You could/should write a book BigT ~ The confessions of a Quick and Fit Tyre Fitter, all you'd need is a Ghost.
Lol Dog.................

I took my vectra in the local Kwik fit for the wheels balancing all 5, i have my own tyre machine but no balancer anyhow after he had done them gunned them up then took the torque wrench to them what did they do first time " CLICK ".

Lmao..................

I carry a strong bar with a 17mm socket on so not a problem but if it's just the brace then i could be screwed.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - spamcan61
>> Lol Dog.................
>>
>> I took my vectra in the local Kwik fit for the wheels balancing all 5,
>> i have my own tyre machine but no balancer anyhow after he had done them
>> gunned them up then took the torque wrench to them what did they do first
>> time " CLICK ".

Still the same at my local fast fit type place, they tighten 'em up to about 500nm* on the airgun then put a torque wrench on and pretend to set the right torque. I bought one of those extending wheel braces years ago after I first got caught out with this old lazy practice.

* possibly a slight exaggeration
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - DP
The last time I bought tyres at Kwik Fit was in the mid 90's for my old mk2 Cavalier SRI. They made a total hash of the balancing, and to add insult to injury, I had to take the car back there a week later to get them to undo the wheelnuts because I couldn't (bent the wheelbrace trying). Had I got a puncture at the side of the road, I would have been in serious trouble.
On the same visit, I watched a fitter snap an exhaust downpipe bolt off a Micra he was working on, look around quickly to see if anyone was watching (he didn't look my way), slather it in putty/gum and lower the car to the ground.
I also object to the way they quote you quite significantly different prices depending on how you contact them (walk in, phone or web), or seemingly which way the wind is blowing on the day. The almost guaranteed upselling / "oooh, your brakes/exhaust/shocks need changing, sir" approach during or after the work is also tedious, and reminiscent of the worst main dealers I've used.

Last edited by: DP on Fri 17 Sep 10 at 15:07
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - MrTee43
So that's why they don't mind little Johnny braying the excrement out of their drinks machine, they just smile and add it to your bill while ripping you off with parts you don't need.

I always hated that stupid advert.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Cpt. Flack
Going by the programme, the reaction on here and personal experience, I suggest the message gets around that this outfit should be avoided like the plaque, so it hits them financially and hope it forces them to change their greedy practices.

Maybe if they paid their staff properly, as mentioned, there wouldn't be a need for these fitters to top up their money on the sly.
Trouble is if they can get away with it or if we let them, it will get forgotten in the long run and continue.

And I've always found KF to be rather on the dear side for tyres etc. anyway. Independant garages are the way to go.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Iffy
...And I've always found KF to be rather on the dear side for tyres etc. anyway...

Agreed.

They were convenient for the last set of tyres I bought for the Focus.

I was happy enough with the job, and no attempt at upselling.

A few months later, I called in to 'buy' a couple of exhaust U clamps for a job I was doing at the caravan.

The fitter gave me three or four without asking for payment.

Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - R.P.
They quoted a good price for the CRV's boots - easily the cheapest - National tyres undercut them by a fiver when they were shown the quote so I stuck to a tried and tested outlet.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Bill Payer
>> And I've always found KF to be rather on the dear side for tyres etc. anyway.
>>
Their online prices are there or thereabouts (in fact they look very cheap, until you realise you have to add £10 for fitting etc).
>> At cb's you was paid a bonus on shockers £3.00 per pair , tracking £1.00,
>> wheel balance 25p per wheel, brake pads £2.00 per set, discs £3.00 per set. shoes
>> £2.00, a full exhaust was £2.00, certain makes of tyres came with bonus up to
>> £1.00-3.00 depending on brand.

Most dealership mechanics work in a similar way - perhaps not so clearly defined, but it's in their, and especially the service managers, interests to find as much extra work as possible.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - swiss tony
>> >> At cb's you was paid a bonus on shockers £3.00 per pair , tracking
>> £1.00, wheel balance 25p per wheel, brake pads £2.00 per set, discs £3.00 per set.
>> shoes £2.00, a full exhaust was £2.00, certain makes of tyres came with bonus up
>> to £1.00-3.00 depending on brand.
>>
>> Most dealership mechanics work in a similar way - perhaps not so clearly defined, but
>> it's in their, and especially the service managers, interests to find as much extra work
>> as possible.
>>
Not In any dealership I've worked in they haven't! (and that's a fair few!)

The Technicians (mechanics work in backstreet garages) are often paid a bonus, based on their efficiency.
ie, the manufactures give a 'book time' to do a job, lets say 20 minutes to do pads, and if they can change them in 15 mins then they will make bonus, because they will be 125% efficient.

I will admit though, that finding additional work can vary on how busy the workshop is, a quiet day often brings with it more minor faults.......
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Number_Cruncher
>> Not In any dealership I've worked in they haven't! (and that's a fair few!)
>>
>> The Technicians (mechanics work in backstreet garages) are often paid a bonus, based on their
>> efficiency.
>> ie, the manufactures give a 'book time' to do a job, lets say 20 minutes
>> to do pads, and if they can change them in 15 mins then they will
>> make bonus, because they will be 125% efficient.
>>
>> I will admit though, that finding additional work can vary on how busy the workshop
>> is, a quiet day often brings with it more minor faults.......

The bonus scheme is just the same as the KF scheme, except a little better disguised, and dressed up with a term like "efficiency" which sounds much less underhand than a simple commission, but is actually much more sneaky.

The book time for certain jobs is much more generous than for other jobs. It is most generous for brake pads, and as an ex dealer mechanic*, I am absolutely sure that none of us ever missed a legitimate opportunity to suggest that the car on our ramp needed pads.

By making the book time for lucrative jobs generous, it incentivises the mechanics in exactly the same way as the simple per part payments offered by KF.

As an example, we were given 0.7 hours for front pads on Vauxhalls. With the car already on the ramp as part of its service, I could do them in 0.1, earning 0.6 bonus. Pads were where I made my wage up to something decent.

* Dealers calling their mechanics "technicians", or, even worse "factory trained technicians" is another tedious example of job title creep seen in technical industries, enabling higher hourly charge out rates to be charged to the guillible. There are very few true technicians working in garages - by which I mean staff who have passed the technical courses required to join an engineering institution at technician level - for example, an HNC would usually be needed to become EngTech. Most dealer mechanics have City & Guilds qualifications (the best have level 3, while most have only level 2), and perhaps have attended a couple of one day product specific courses run by the manufacturer.
>> I'd like to see specific faults and details of discrepencies between the expert's and KF's
>> opinion.
>>
I was bemused by the WatchDog "expert" working off his drive - where do they find these poople, they had an electronics "expert" working from his spare bedroom once and he was talking absolute garbage.

Their car expert complained about the wheels not being removed. Dealers don't do that on most cars - even Mercedes have recently stopped doing it even on major services, and they never did it on the minor service.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Sat 18 Sep 10 at 11:21
...He complained about the wheels not being removed...dealers don't do that on most cars...

We always used to put the car on the wheel-free ramp, take the wheels and drums off, blow out the brakes, and have a look around.

Cars began arriving with front discs, but we still took the wheels off to check the pad wear.

Then cars began arriving with alloys, and we realised pad wear could be checked without removing the wheels, either from the outside or inside of the wheel.

Times change, what was good practise 40 years ago may not be so now.
Last edited by: Iffy on Sat 18 Sep 10 at 11:30
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Westpig
I've stopped watching Watchdog, I can't stop myself moaning out loud about the mind numbingly stupid things some people do with their hard earnt money....and the pious over egging of the pudding done by the programme. That's not to say some fraudsters don't need exposing or locking up, I just wish they'd concentrate on the 'real' ones.

I got my car MOT'd yesterday at a tyre chain outfit (not KF)...i've got to know the manager there and he looks after me. After discussing the Watchdog programme (which I hadn't seen) he slipped out that they are owned by KF anyway. What's the betting KF start dropping the KF name after this bad publicity and just trade under one of the other ones.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - spamcan61
>> I've stopped watching Watchdog, I can't stop myself moaning out loud about the mind numbingly
>> stupid things some people do with their hard earnt money....and the pious over egging of
>> the pudding done by the programme. That's not to say some fraudsters don't need exposing
>> or locking up, I just wish they'd concentrate on the 'real' ones.
>>
That sums it up really well in my opinion, I suppose the greedy and the stupid are easier programme fodder though.
>> he slipped out that they are owned by KF anyway.

I often used what I thought was, and had all the slightly ramshackle hallmarks of, a local indie (Harveys Tyres) but was there a while ago and noticed a fitter wearing KF overalls. Made a comment about it to the guy at the desk and he told me they've been owned by KF for years.
I got a right stuffing when i was caught greasing up the brake pipes on a 4yrs old car back in the day probably a cavalier, The gaffer said we want them to rust it's money in the bank!

Which it is and today i don't think anybody does this but i have to my own cars and not replaced one yet.
Still you need to remove the rear wheels and drums covers to access the state of the rear drums though. Even on a steel wheel you can probably shine a torch in a hole to to see how bad the the pads and discs are.

I found at times the Watchdog article contradicted itself. On the one hand they were charging for uneeded work, on the other they were missing things.

Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - DP
I don't like the programme much either. I think I mentioned here before (or it may have been The Other Place) about a company SWMBO used to work for who were featured on there after a child was very seriously injured by one of their products because of a failure of a safety interlock.
The company, as far as I am concerned, did everything that could be expected of them, and more. They ceased production of the affected model immediately while it was checked, sent recorded delivery letters to every owner to advise them not to use the product until an engineer had checked it, then went about arranging free of charge engineer visits to every single customer to check and replace the offending part free of charge. They cancelled all employee holiday within the business, and had the call centres fully staffed 24 hours a day to arrange this visit with customers, and for concerned customers to call in to a 24 hr freephone number which had been placed in a national newspaper advertising campaign. They also recruited extra engineers to facilitate the fixes. Apart from the fault occurring in the first place, they did absolutely nothing wrong. Although it was never publicised, the family of the injured boy were also well looked after, as of course they should have been.
Then Watchdog got hold of it.
The MD of the company was "interviewed", by which I mean was ranted at and barely allowed to get a word in edgeways. He was even shouted over when he tried to quote the free number, which by the way had already been in place, together with all the measures above for several days at the time.
Watchdog is sensationalist claptrap of the highest order.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Bromptonaut
Interesting history on Charlie Browns. We had one in Northampton in the nineties where I got the tyres on the old BX replaced. Fitter tried to tell me the front pads were badly worn and when pushed suggested their remaining life could be counted in days.

I then asked him the purpose of the groove down the middle of the pad!!

They did another 20k miles!!
...I then asked him the purpose of the groove down the middle of the pad!!...

Most of the examples given are probably a genuine attempt to rip-off the motorist.

But ignorance and stupidity play a part.

When I was in the trade, the fast-fit fitters were not known to be the sharpest tools in the box.

Same as AA and RAC patrolmen.

>>Watchdog is sensationalist claptrap of the highest order.<<

Be that as it may comrade DP, but there is no smoke without fire, and reading through this thread there are many tales of woe relating to Kwik Fit, some of which could be deemed robbery by any other name.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Stuartli
>> Kwik-Fit is owned by French private equity group PAI Partners
> it is NOT a franchise>>

Well it certainly is elsewhere and seems to have been so in the UK in the past..:-)

For instance: www.kwikfit.co.za/about.php

www.tyrepress.com/News/51/Russia/18759.html

plus a Belgian one.

Also see:

www.tyrepress.com/News/business_area/Retail/19673.html
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Tooslow
tinyurl.com/3aya4r7

You'd think there's be employee discount!

John
Ramsgate ... say n'more squire ;-}
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 18 Sep 10 at 21:19
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Robin O'Reliant
I posted a seperate thread on this a few weeks ago, but it isn't only the fast fit multiples who are at it. This is an update about a local garage who got done for an MoT scam -

www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/8399918.Compensation_call_for_MOT_scam_customers/
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - BiggerBadderDave
"This is an update about a local garage who got done for an MoT scam"

I see this happened at Pope's Garage. Another Catholic scandal...
...I see this happened at Pope's Garage. Another Catholic scandal...

I wouldn't want to be the apprentice there.

Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Tooslow
Well you're safe going there for a while...

John
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Pat
I could have sworn I posted on this thread at 5.30am this morning but must have hit the wrong button.
I asked Mr pda to look at this knowing he'd started his working life in the trade.
He replied that he could relate to all of it, and far worse going on, at the prestigious BMW dealer he worked for in the South East.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sun 19 Sep 10 at 12:36
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - Runfer D'Hills
Some may remember that I posted a couple of weeks ago that I'd been told after a service by a certain main dealer that I needed £333 worth of front brake discs and pads replacing as a matter of urgency. Had my trusted indy quote and subsequently check them over. Quote from him was under £200 but more to the point he tells me they don't even slightly need replacing yet.......
>> Some may remember that I posted a couple of weeks ago that I'd been told
>> after a service by a certain main dealer that I needed £333 worth of front
>> brake discs and pads replacing as a matter of urgency. Had my trusted indy quote
>> and subsequently check them over. Quote from him was under £200 but more to the
>> point he tells me they don't even slightly need replacing yet.......
>>

Is it surprising that no one in their right mind trusts the motor trade? It won't change until they put their house in order or hell freezes over.
>> Is it surprising that no one in their right mind trusts the motor trade? It
>> won't change until they put their house in order or hell freezes over.
>>

"Sealed for life" cars are the answer - the sooner the better!

It's astonishing that so much effort is put into brand image by manufacturers and then they apparently happily let their franchisees mess it up.
 Watchdog tonight at 8pm........Kwik-fit........... - hobby
>> "Sealed for life" cars are the answer - the sooner the better!
>>

Looking at the state of some cars (especially minicabs) I think there's plenty of drivers around who already think they have one of those...
Latest Forum Posts