Motoring Discussion > Refuelling stations. The future Green Issues
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 14

Refuelling stations. The future - VxFan
This forecourt can charge 36 cars simultaneously with a variety of rapid chargers, while drivers and passengers utilise the retail and food facilities at their leisure.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoN4WCpuxHY
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 5 Dec 20 at 21:27
 Refueling stations. The future - No FM2R
Fascinating.
 Refueling stations. The future - Falkirk Bairn
www.falkirkherald.co.uk/news/transport/scotlands-largest-electric-vehicle-charging-station-officially-opened-falkirk-2938118

26 cars, solar powered and "free" despite costing £1.4 million
 Refueling stations. The future - Lygonos
Local authorities are slowly rolling out charging across Scotland though Edinburgh/Borders/Central Scotland are still free for now.
 Refueling stations. The future - bathtub tom
I saw lanes for 'up to 350KW' and up to '90KW'. There's no way solar panels can support that for 36 cars.
I wonder what the diameter of the electrical, mains supply cables are?
The site has 6000 kWh of battery storage I think - enough for a decent charge for 200 cars.

They will take up cheap/free electricity when the grid is overproducing, and will top up from the solar cells as it is produced. Presumably they can also sell stored leccy back to the grid when it is expensive.

Blurb also suggests it is connected to a 60 acre solar farm (0.1 sq mile!)

Roll this out hundreds of times and realistic grid storage starts to appear.

350kW chargers have liquid cooled cables.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 4 Dec 20 at 14:51
 Refueling stations. The future - Duncan
Where is it?

Pedant Corner

Can we have two 'l's in refuelling, please?
 Refueling stations. The future - Zero
I can see the attraction of these places, all those motorists being forced into a 40 minute break every 250 miles makes them ideal for retail entrapment. at high prices, they aint going anywhere.
 Refueling stations. The future - No FM2R
Agreed, but I'd take something like a 40 minute break every 250 miles anyway. And one assumes that many motorists would not fill up but rather top up or just add enough.

All they have to do is make it clean and empty of chavs and they'll have my custom, even if I don't need the charge.
 Refueling stations. The future - sooty123
>> Where is it?
>>

GRIDSERVE Electric Forecourt, Edison Way, Great Notley, Essex, CM77 7AP
 Refueling stations. The future - Terry
How long until the major supermarkets start replacing pumps with chargers. They have plenty of space for cars to park and many have existing fuel services with up to a dozen pumps!

They just about killed off the independent fuel stop, having worked out that they can price low on the back of volume and grocery shopping.

I expect the same will happen with EVs - park the car, buy the groceries, come back to a fully charged vehicle.

They may be able to service 10-30 vehicles per day per charger, possibly with extra discounts for store card customers. It's a competitive world - if you have an EV, Sainsburys have cheap charging and Tescos have none, where are you going to shop?
I do about half of my charging at Tesco now. I think there has been a collaboration between Tesco, Podpoint and VW to have them put in with most large Tescos also having them now.

3 hours free parking plus 7kW of charging power in the middle of Edinburgh gives me about 60 miles of driving range per shopping trip.

The Tesco I use has 4 x 7kW chargers and frequently have 2-3 in use (occasionally all 4) at any one time.

>> if you have an EV, Sainsburys have cheap charging and Tescos have none, where are you going to shop?

I used to go to Sainsbury's - now I got to Tesco for supermarket shopping.
 Refueling stations. The future - CGNorwich
" if you have an EV, Sainsburys have cheap charging and Tescos have none, where are you going to shop?"

At Waitrose and have it delivered free!
At the prices they charge they can afford to give it away!
Just watched some of videos on the fullycharged show, really enjoyed some of the videos. I'll keep an eye on their new stuff.
Latest Forum Posts