Motoring Discussion > New LandRover Defender? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 12

New LandRover Defender? - Duncan
New Landrover Defender - anyone?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkpB8okB-xw

3 new cars in 3 weeks, I think it is. The dialogue and presentation is a master class in how not to do a youtube video, but the underlying story is incredible.
 New LandRover Defender? - sooty123
Shall I guess what the video is about and save 16 min?

Is it LRs have rubbish built quality and the dealers are equally rubbish/disinterested?
 New LandRover Defender? - No FM2R
In summary;

Engine problem on new vehicle
Offered new engine, didn't want it because they'd feel like it wasn't a new car.
Offered any new vehicle currently available, no spec they liked
Offered new vehicle, any spec, which they specced and was ordered
Wanted additional winch which was offered
Winch didn't work, so dealer ordered new winch
Wireloom cut when fitting winch.
Third vehicle offered, accepted and awaited.

All in the space of 3 or 4 weeks.

Mistakes were made which shouldn't have happened, but the dealer seems to be doing their best to correct it.

The video makers seem a bit like Princesses to me.
 New LandRover Defender? - Zero
>> New Landrover Defender - anyone?
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkpB8okB-xw
>>
>> 3 new cars in 3 weeks, I think it is.

No its not quite like that, One defective Landrover Defender delivered.

It is true however there are lots of Software issues with them, that these guys didn't uncover, there have been lots of over the air updates, some of the updates failing.

I happened to pass the new JLR megashowroom today, They have two new defenders outside. They really look the dogs danglies, its an impressive visual feat bridging the old defender into the new world. They look far better in the metal than on the page or screen.
 New LandRover Defender? - R.P.
We were hanging around the local BMW/MINI/LR emporium earlier today...the Defenders look awesomely huge (we had a visitor turn up here in one a few weeks ago) They look awesomely good - I love the TV advert. I'm unlikely to change the V60 anytime soon but stand by for further changes...
 New LandRover Defender? - Runfer D'Hills
Seem to think you had an old Landy at one time RP? Me too, it was as thirsty as a thirsty thing (V8 Petrol), it leaked weather in, and oil and water out, the handling was at best, ponderous, it was noisy and fairly uncomfortable, but I loved it.

Can't really say why, but of the 40+ cars I've owned, or had long term use of, it has to be up there in the top 3 of the ones I bonded with the most. It was at a time when the only gainful employment I could find was teaching people to ski, and it was my faithful companion at the time. Used to make a buck or occasionally, a buck and a half towing people out of snow at the resorts with it, or even just jump starting their cars with it if they couldn't get going again having parked up in winter conditions.

90" County, which I hand repainted orange, white (too big) wheels, roll cage, big fat General Grabbers, unnecessarily huge bull bar, with equally oversized Cibies. Recaro buckets, Spax adjustables. Too many stickers too. Tiny little Momo, suede covered steering wheel. Utterly embarrassing in retrospect really. But I sort of wish I still had it. I'd have calmed it all down a bit by now I expect.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 1 Dec 20 at 19:59
 New LandRover Defender? - legacylad
And of the 40+ cars which I’ve owned, one was a Defender 90 300Tdi. Ran it for 6 months after being carved up once too often in a certain West Yorkshire town where I worked 6 days a week.

The white Golfs and Audi’s didn’t like it up em. Around town it was great. On the open road it was awful. Sold for a substantial 4 figure profit, but glad to see the back of it.

Quite a few years ago...bought via a contact, N reg. Green colour. That’s all I remember.
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 1 Dec 20 at 20:07
 New LandRover Defender? - VxFan
Just won TopGear.com car of the year

youtu.be/HRN4jKyMBco?t=2606
 New LandRover Defender? - Lygonos
Top Gear's COTY since '97:

1997: Ford Puma
1998: Ford Focus
1999: Toyota Picnic
2000: Fiat Multipla
2001: Ford Mondeo
2002: Range Rover
2003: Jaguar XJ8
2004: Nissan 350Z
2005: Toyota Aygo & Bugatti Veyron
2006: Jaguar XK
2007: Subaru Legacy Outback and the Ford Mondeo
2008: Volkswagen Scirocco
2009: Ferrari 458 Italia
2010: Citroën DS3
2011: Range Rover Evoque
2012: Toyota GT86
2013: Ford Fiesta ST
2014: BMW i8
2015: Ford Focus RS
2016: Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
2017: Honda Civic Type R
2018: Ford Fiesta ST
2019: Porsche Taycan

Some real crocks of crap in there.
 New LandRover Defender? - Zero
Actually fewer CoC than you would suggest.
 New LandRover Defender? - R.P.
Ford Puma.....

Yes. Check. 2000 1.7. Awesome car by any measure. I'd have another tomorrow, well worthy of the COTY.
 New LandRover Defender? - legacylad
Plenty of new model Puma’s on the Costa Blanca. It’s a girlie thing so looks nice to me.

Before our footwear attire salesperson comments....Cougars seem few & far between.
 New LandRover Defender? - Runfer D'Hills
There has to be a Mrs Slocombe joke in there somewhere, but I'll let that particular cat find its own way out I think...
;-)
Latest Forum Posts