Motoring Discussion > Key in ignition warning chime grr! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 24

Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Auntie Lockbrakes
Do we really need an incessant beep or chime every time we open the car door with the key still in the ignition?! Drives me mad! Is it another case of the Nanny State?! Or so we don't forget it's there? There are loads of perfectly good, safe reasons why I might want to leave the car door open with the key still in the barrel. Drives me bonkers, almost as much as the new set-up whereby you can't start a manual car until you depress the clutch...

Rant over!
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Zero
no idea what your talking about. DOnt have any of that merde.
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - -
Try looking and/or posting an a make specific forum Nick, several Hilux owners have found out how to disconnect and posted the method, i imagine the same would be so for your car.
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Auntie Lockbrakes
Maybe it's a Jap/Asia market thing? My KIA has it, and so do Toyotas over here.

I wonder if one day we'll all get the speeding beep/chime that kicks in at 70-odd mph, which seems to be standard in US & Middle East markets?! Grrr!

Warning lights are helpful, but I don't need sounds nagging me!
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Bellboy
nissan bluebird used to do it
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Netsur
I had forgotten all about this until I was in the USA this summer. Lights left on - yes but key in the ignition with the door open - NO! Why do we need it? What is it saving ourselves from?
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Tigger
I find it helpful!!
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - smokie
Key? What's that? (Keyless entry/stop/start Mondeo owner...) :-)
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - DP
My mate's old Celica 190 used to do it as well. Plus it used to beep at you when reverse was selected. It drove him nuts.
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Tooslow
My Passat beeps when I select reverse. It's useful as it's a 6 speed box and it warns the wife she's missed 1st :-)

John
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Redviper
My Vectra "bongs" when you leave the keys in.

It "bongs " a bit faster and flashes the side light symbol on the dash if you leave your lights on as well.
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Berisford
I find the system in my VW Transporter the best, it's not possible to activate the locks from outside whilst the key is in the ignition.

No need for any 'warning' beeps.

Spent a good few minutes one night opening and closing doors, cleaning contacts and generally swearing before I realised the other key was in the ignition!
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Falkirk Bairn
>> My mate's old Celica 190 used to do it as well. Plus it used to
>> beep at you when reverse was selected. It drove him nuts.
>>
Safety reason on the Celica Fwd gears and reverse were very close together - a momentary lapse nd you could head of in the wrong direction.
My son had a brand new one in 2001 and apart from brakes, tyres and servicing cost nothing in 4.5 yrs in repairs.
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Ian (Cape Town)

>> Safety reason on the Celica Fwd gears and reverse were very close together - a
>> momentary lapse nd you could head of in the wrong direction.

My father's daihatsu also bongs when in reverse. BUT it is an automatic, with great big digital gear indicator on the dash.
Belt and braces, anyone?
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - DP
>> My son had a brand new one in 2001 and apart from brakes, tyres and
>> servicing cost nothing in 4.5 yrs in repairs.

This was a 2001 example, also bought new. The gearbox failed at 6000 miles (misbuilt at factory apparently), and then it just went downhill from there. Things got so bad he ended up involving the finance company, returning the car, and walking away from the deal after 18 months. Lots of stupid stuff (kept blowing up catalytic converters, suspension alignment kept going out of true, wheels going out of round, 15 mpg fuel economy over random tankfuls, then OK for months, engine management warning lights etc etc). Toyota were also less than helpful, although the dealer was excellent.
If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it either. I know this is very very unusual, but some of these were published as fairly common problems on various forums at the time (suspension, wheels and catalysts, particularly)
My Partners C4 Beeps at you when (in no particular order)

You leave the keys in, You have left the lights on, when you select reverse, if you or any of your other 3 passengers have dared to forget to put their seatbelt on, when the fuel is low, when its cold outside.

Very informative.
Last edited by: Redviper on Thu 16 Sep 10 at 09:28
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Mike Hannon
Yes, the C3 that I drive regularly has an appalling tinny beep that sounds in all those circumstances and you can switch it beep when you go over a certain speed as well. It's awful - you can drive the C3 and almost forget it's a proles' car until you get that horrible noise. The Pug 307 is the same - to me, rightly or wrongly, it speaks volumes about the quality of the car's electronics. Sounds like a Chinese alarm clock. If it was a nice gentle 'bong bong' I might feel better about it.
Completly agree, the C4 is a "beep" much prefer it, if it was a "bong" like the Vectra does.
Last edited by: Redviper on Thu 16 Sep 10 at 12:17
Im sure the C4 even "Beeps" to remind you that you have just broken wind.
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Badwolf
My Megane beeps whenever I open the driver's door to get in in order to remind me that I have turned off the automatic headlights. Why the heck would it do that? I turned them off because they are, in my opinion, downright dangerous. I don't need to be constantly admonished for doing so.

On a lighter note, it was great fun to set the 'speed limit reminder' on Mrs B's Grande Punto to 31mph. She cursed it for days until I relented and switched it off. She still has no idea it was me! :-)
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - spamcan61
SWMBO's Zafira A emits a flippin annoying constant whine if you leave the ignition key in with thy door open.
Tell her to shut up then.
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - spamcan61
>> Tell her to shut up then.
>>

Nah, WiFi coverage in the shed is still a bit dodgy
True, and winters coming.
 Key in ignition warning chime grr! - Bellboy
interesting badwolf
guy i know has amassed 9 points in his grand punkop and i explained some cars have this device to help him do tirty in a tirty,just shows peoples dont read their handybooks
Latest Forum Posts