Motoring Discussion > Kent under concrete? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 10

Kent under concrete? - sherlock47
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54260470

7000 lorries? my mental arithmetic makes that a 100 mile queue of stationary lorries - and I thought it was a long queue last week of about 3miles! It could stretch back to half way round the M25 S.

Or have I slipped a zero?

The impact on air quality from start stop driving, and water course pollution from drivers needs, is going to give the 'garden of england' a new place in history.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Wed 23 Sep 20 at 09:47
 Kent under concrete? - tyrednemotional
...They'll all be directed to the newly concreted "Farage Garage" areas.....
 Kent under concrete? - sooty123
Aren't they supposed to be using Manston as a wagon park?
 Kent under concrete? - Terry
Literally nose to tail the queue would be ~70 miles long. But a few further thoughts about the chaos about to hit Kent and possibly impact the rest of us:

(a) 7000 trucks is not even 2 days of traffic - average per day is 5000 in each direction.

(b) if trucks are delayed a few days they will need infrastructure around them - toilets, food, etc

(c) if trucks are delayed inflation will increase (slightly) to cover costs

(d) fruit, veg, meat etc may go past use by dates - or may need fuel to keep systems running

(e) at what point will it be apparent that they need to queue - chaos awaits inside the port

(f) perhaps they should check paperwork before they join the M2 or M20
 Kent under concrete? - Duncan
>> (d) fruit, veg, meat etc may go past use by dates
>>

We should grow our own veg. Importing tomatoes from Spain is madness. Eat our own fruit in season.

We import far too much stuff.
 Kent under concrete? - Runfer D'Hills
Its all going very well isn't it? Don't know what all the fuss is about... ;-)))
 Kent under concrete? - CGNorwich

>> We should grow our own veg. Importing tomatoes from Spain is madness. Eat our own
>> fruit in season.

Great idea.

Let’s eat nothing but turnips potatoes and cabbage from November to June.

And of course you still need some pickers like this people who used to come over from Eastern Europe.

Kent under concrete? - sooty123
Reading the article it says in the case of 70% non compliance of haulage firms.
 Kent under concrete? - BiggerBadderDave
I remember driving a few times into Germany from Poland before they joined the EU. Miles and miles and miles and miles of trucks parked on the slow lane. Miles of them. Miles. The day they joined, they all disappeared.

So if it happens in Kent, congratulations. I'm looking forward to seeing that on the comical 'remember when we were being the times' article at the end of a Polish news bulletin.
 Kent under concrete? - Terry
It may be that the chaos won't last very long - after a few months some sort of normality will gradually return.

The French won't want 100km queues on their side of the channel any more than the UK want 70m queues in Dover. So a sensible compromise could be on the cards to limit the damage caused by the wrong paperwork from both sides.

This does of course rely upon the UK having a constructive dialogue with the French - not something we are used to!

And reassurance may be given to Kent residents that Dover may not suffer alone - if over congested, traffic may divert to Poole, Portsmouth, Plymouth, Folkestone, Ramsgate, Harwich etc!
 Kent under concrete? - Bromptonaut
>> And reassurance may be given to Kent residents that Dover may not suffer alone -
>> if over congested, traffic may divert to Poole, Portsmouth, Plymouth, Folkestone, Ramsgate, Harwich etc!

IIRC neither Folkestone or Ramsgate are any longer ferry ports. I think Folkestone's infrastructure (linkspans etc) were removed some years ago. Ramsgate although still functional has no current service and is limited to smaller vessels.
Latest Forum Posts