Motoring Discussion > BMW - BMW media files from usb? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 14

BMW - BMW media files from usb? - Bobby
Thinking of copying all my music onto a USB stick to leave in the car if it would work with the BMW F48 media system.
Anyone know if it would and if so, what would the file structure need to be?

I normally have
Music>Artist>Album>Songs

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 BMW - BMW media files from usb? - tyrednemotional
Bobby,

as you know, I have an F48.

I have a 64GB USB drive, formatted Fat32 with over 400 albums on in MP3 320 (and still some spare space). So, it will cope with at least a 64GB drive. I suspect yours might be an Apple compressed format.

I tend to organise mine as Artist - Album>Track (for reasons of compatibility elsewhere) but I can't see why your structure wouldn't work. (though I wouldn't bother with the "Music" level).

I'm pretty sure there is a write-up somewhere on limitations and recommended structure, but it's not in my downloaded copy of the printed manual (it may be in the Drivers Guide App I have on my Tablet - I'll check later).

You can search by folder, but the media system uses the tags in the files for other searches.

As a tip, I use a "small form factor" USB drive, like the Sandisk Ultra Fit, since these leave very little body sticking out of the socket, making it much less likely you will inadvertently catch it and break it (since the USB socket position is rather exposed).
Cheers for the feedback.
Most of the time, especially on long journeys, I just have my music on shuffle. I like the randomness of going from Les Mis to Christy Moore to ELO to Springsteen. Do you know if it allows this (I normally select this from the iphone rather than from the BMW system)
>>.......I just have my music on shuffle.
>> Do you know if it allows this......

ISTR you have the "Pro" version of the media/Nav system, which will be slightly different to mine, but yes, one of the "Opt" values is "Random" and if the initial play selection is one of the tag values, or the full number of tracks, then this will randomise playback.
OK just tried with four albums.

System picked the USB up and the artists, albums, songs. I could select any, scroll through etc but nowhere could I find an option to shuffle the music.

Incidentally, the artwork (which shows when I play the same files from my iphone) doesnt show when playing from the USB. Dont know if this is supplied by itunes rather than on the actual file if that makes sense?
The files are probably not tagged with album art (or are in an incompatible format)

Album art works for me.

When you go to music selection (magnifying glass I think) and you get the various search options up, jog right with the I-drive to get options. On mine there is a tick box for "Random".

I think the effect of it is to randomize whatever you've selected on the previous screen. If you select tracks, and leave the selection at all tracks, it will then shuffle play within all tracks.
Cheers, just tried that and yip, found the "random" after pressing the OPT button on the idrive.
So that works fine.
I would like the album art though, think I better start a new post under computing as I had planned to copy all my CDs again at a better rate after discovering that mine were all transferred years ago at a low rate.
 BMW - BMW media files from usb? - Zero
>> Cheers, just tried that and yip, found the "random" after pressing the OPT button on
>> the idrive.

I press the mic button, the idrive goes "plink plonk" and I say "shuffle tracks". And it does.
 BMW - BMW media files from usb? - Rudedog
Ok I know I don't use the same system but when I had trouble with some of my album art it simply turned out that each picture had to be 600 x 600 pixels before they would save, and I added them via iTunes using pictures copied from Amazon or Google images.

I have genuinely never used the voice controls on my car!
 BMW - BMW media files from usb? - Zero
If all your mp3 tags are complete per file Song, artist, album, genre, you just dump them all willy nilly onto your usb, or load them onto the cars internal hard drive. You then search/play as you wish.
Don’t think it has an internal hard drive does it?

I will have a play about and be back with more questions shortly!!
I also still have an old 80GB ipod classic sitting about doing nothing. Wonder if that would be better to use than the USB?

Still playing about!
>> Don’t think it has an internal hard drive does it?
>>
>> I will have a play about and be back with more questions shortly!!

The internal hard drive was an option reserved for ex-IBM employees, just to make them feel more at home....... ;-)
 BMW - BMW media files from usb? - smokie
I find it of some concern that people are driving around, listening to music without their album art. What do they think they are doing FFS?
Latest Forum Posts