Motoring Discussion > Ford - first ten months with brand new focus LPG
Thread Author: via roma Replies: 2

Ford - first ten months with brand new focus LPG - via roma
This short review may be of interest.
I live in italy and Nov 2009 bought new Ford Focus 2 Ltr estate with factory fit BRC LPG system.
Have done 14000 kms only to date. 80% of trips are short 10km round trips in hilly country. 20 % driving on motorway at 140 km / hr. One Italy / England / Italy round trip trip loaded with kids and large roof box. Climate control always on all year round at 20C.

So far brim to brim LPG consumption works out at rounded down 27 MPG on LPG at just under half the price of petrol over here.

Petrol 1.33 Euros / ltr
Diesel 1.22 euros / ltr
LPG 0. 66 euros / ltr

Over here with Gov incentives for LPG I do not have to pay road tax saving 240 Euros / year. No congestion charges to pay in main cities.

The LPG system runs fine and I can not tell when it changes over from petrol ( apart from looking at info system ) and performance in daily driving is the same.
very neat installation of LPG system .
Lack of spare wheel is a worry.

Can do 400 kms on a tank full of LPG( 45 ltr tank takes 41 ltrs ), obviously there is standard tank of petrol in reserve.

We also run a skoda octavia 1.9 diesel 4*4 estate as wife's company car. Can't compare fuel consumption as co. paid for and driven most of time on motorway at 150 km/h plus.
the skoda does seem to stand up to estate car use and children wear and tear better, internal plastics and fittings seem to mark less. the skoda feels a much heavier slower car and the Focus a sports car in comparison, remember we live in hills with much braking and sharp bends.
A word of warning. The Skoda was on long life mileage dependant servicing and at just under 3 years old and 90000 miles turbo broke. thank god company paid for repair as the cost was something like 2000 plus euros here. there have been other numerous sensors that have given up over three years and left the car stranded or limping home. My view is never buy a car that has been on long life servicing.
Having said the above ( BIG ) IF a skoda octavia estate was similar price to focus over here would buy a skoda as (seems) better built and 5 years ago in uk wife also had Octavia diesel estate and no probs at all in 1.5 years. In Italy the skoda octavia is way more expensive than the focus.

Thoughts on LPG.
Here in Italy supply is good. There are many thousands of new and old cars big and small ( matiz 800cc LPG is still sold new and very popular here) running LPG and because mechanics have the experience there seem to be very few problems.
Probably the cleanest greenest viable fuel available at the moment and my reports suggest there is far more gas in reserves than oil.

I would like a bit of input to compare servicing costs here and in UK.
Have just had 1st service costs at Ford Italy main dealer as follows all including 20 % vat
Petrol service costs
oil 5lts 67 euros
oil filter 13.62 euros
air filter 21.66 euros
pollen filter 19.77 euros
air con conditioner 17.80 euros did not know about this and will avoid next time
1 hour 20 mins labour at 48 euros / hr = 62 euros labour
.*********

For info.
LPG 1st service costs
main filter 31.25 euros
checks 1 hr labour 48 euros

Having always done my own servicing previously on older cars was a bit shocked at the cost of a basic service and the price of the filters so would like to know the costs at UK based dealers and prices for the DIYer after warranty finishes. LPG will still be checked over by the experts for leaks.

Thanks for any input.

Ford - first ten months with brand new focus LPG - Iffy
Looks to me like you are benefiting from a properly engineered factory LPG installation.

As regards service costs, my diesel Focus convertible works on an alternating small service/large service schedule every 12,500m

Small services are about £150 and large ones about £250, assuming it's nothing other than routine maintenance.

I had a couple of bigger bills on my old Focus as the mileage racked up.
 Ford - first ten months with brand new focus LPG - Roger.
You are being overcharged for your engine oil.
My local VW/Skoda dealer here in Spain uses some fancy stuff from BP at around 55 to 60 euros: I can buy the correct VW 505.01 oil for around 35 € for 5 litres euros in Norauto (a sort of HalforDs), so I always provided my own oil.
I also specifically tell them NOT to top up the windscreen washer bottle at their silly prices and make sure that it is full to overflowing first!
I would say that your filter prices are about average - my car is a Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi: the oil filter is a little less and the pollen filter a little more, than your examples.
I mentioned aircon "conditioner" to our VW/Skoda receptionist and he told me not to bother - it's a waste of money!
Your labour rate is pretty reasonable, I think and is comparable to mine. As the dealer is dual franchise it is pleasing to note that the labour rate for Skoda servicing is two or three euros an hour less than for the VWs - same workshop, same mechanics!
VAT here is now 18%.
Last edited by: landsker on Wed 15 Sep 10 at 15:44
Latest Forum Posts