Motoring Discussion > Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 16

Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - legacylad
A pal has a 4 yo Disco Sport. He bought it from my local main dealer and I remember going out with him for a drive immediately after collection and the screen packing up after 15 miles. It’s been a catalogue of woes, and the most recent expensive, out of warranty failure was the straw that broke the camels back.
He needs a bit of wading depth as the minor road passing his hamlet floods in both directions. Needs room for 4 passengers and gear...must be able to carry two sets of golf clubs in the rear.
His previous X5 was super reliable for 10 years, up to almost 240k miles.
His mileage is now circa 12/15k pa so on the cusp of changing to petrol.
Suggestions please.....he’s mentioned Honda but don’t know what model. His wife is on her second Kia Sportage...just part exd her previous shabby 130k miler which she’d run from new.
 Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - sooty123
What sort of wading depth, something a mpv could get through a some that would need a proper 4x4?

What sort of budget?
They don’t need a proper Defender type wading depth....if the road floods badly you’d need a boat but they’ve coped for the past 15 years with X5, Sportage and Disco Sport.

Budget....I did propose the new AM DBX. He could but wouldn’t ! ( or wouldn’t be allowed)
 Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - Zero
>> They don’t need a proper Defender type wading depth....if the road floods badly you’d need
>> a boat but they’ve coped for the past 15 years with X5, Sportage and Disco
>> Sport.
>>
>> Budget....I did propose the new AM DBX. He could but wouldn’t ! ( or wouldn’t
>> be allowed)

I do know of a barely used porkie barbie mobile, that would do the job.
I did mention it ! Apparently the golfing wife of a friend has one, but the 500l boot won’t accommodate two sets of golf clubs.
Says it all really......
Hangs head in shame and shuffles off to look at a Focus ST estate.
Or maybe a Micra because I had a big birthday last month
 Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - sooty123
If he doesn't want loads of trips to the garage, land cruiser. Top spec, by the sounds of the budget petrol or diesel makes no real difference.
 Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - Duncan
>> His previous X5 was super reliable for 10 years, up to almost 240k miles.
>> His mileage is now circa 12/15k pa so on the cusp of changing to petrol.
>>
>> Suggestions please.....

tinyurl.com/y34plf2a
His ‘05 X5 served a purpose. Carried his very sporty offspring all over the country to competitions, packed to the gunwhales with kit. Probably too large now there is only him & wifey.
I’ve checked out Honda and that CRV Hybrid certainly fits the bill given his current circumstances
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 3 Aug 20 at 10:35
 Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - Bobby
X3 then?
 Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - Avant
Next size up from the Kia Sportage is the Sorento, or there's the Hyundai Santa Fe. The longer warranties might appeal, comoared with the Honda which I think is still 3 years.

If he needs a more upmarket image, then it's something from the BMW X, Audi Q and Mercedes GL ranges - depending on size and budget.
 Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - Dave_
Shoguns will be going cheap soon. Not the best to drive on-road over any distance, but solid and very well-equipped.
 Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - Lygonos
www.new-car-discount.com/car/volvo/v90/estate/all/all

Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - Bill Payer
>> www.new-car-discount.com/car/volvo/v90/estate/all/all
>>
Bonkers pricing as the list pricing still attracts the significant extra road tax.
 Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - No FM2R
How much is the Road tax on this car? And how much would it be for a similar car £10,000 cheaper?

Doesn't seem like a sufficient amount on which to base a choice between differing lumps of depreciating metal.
 Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - Bill Payer
>> How much is the Road tax on this car? And how much would it be
>> for a similar car £10,000 cheaper?
>>
>> Doesn't seem like a sufficient amount on which to base a choice between differing lumps
>> of depreciating metal.
>>
It's an additional £325 per year for 5 yrs.

Sure - it's not the end of the world, but it's a bit of a nonsense to set a list price that triggers the extra tax, then sell the car at a massive discount. Why not just drop the list price a little?
 Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - No FM2R
Ah, I see. Sorry I missed your original point.

The list price is used by the manufacturer to manipulate the dealer and but the dealer to manipulate the customer. And varies by region according to regulation and taxation driving discounts, bonuses, thresholds and various other behaviours..

I guess changing it for one threshold in one country which could be altered at any moment is not an effort they wish to put in.

Personally I pay no attention to anything other than the amount I must pay and what I will get for that payment. They can cut it, discount it, tax it, load it or add extras to their hearts content. All I care about is my final price/product deal. How that price is divvied up between the supplier, manufacturer and Government is not something I have any interest in.
 Land Rover Discovery 4 - More LR reliability woes - Lygonos
My understanding was the "£40k list price" didn't include the 1st year's tax, so the luxury kicked in if the total price was more like £40.5-42k.

As Mark suggests, £1500 over 5 years is a fairly modest amount to rule out something that otherwise may be 'value for money'.
Latest Forum Posts