Motoring Discussion > Are XL Rated Tyres Worthwhile? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P} Replies: 7

Are XL Rated Tyres Worthwhile? - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
Looking for new tyres on line. I notice that extra load tyres (XL) 94 rating, are about the same price as the 91 rating OE tyres. Is there any benefit or otherwise going for the XL versions? Tyres are 225/45/17/W
 Are XL Rated Tyres Worthwhile? - Zero
they might have a harder ride.
 Are XL Rated Tyres Worthwhile? - Kithmo
I found the stiffer sidewalls very useful when I ran over a deep rut and took a chunk out of the sidewall of the tyre, it was still very controllable and safe when deflated, a bit like a soggy run-flat tyre.
IMO they are worth having if the price is not much more.
 Are XL Rated Tyres Worthwhile? - Marc
"they might have a harder ride"

I've read that elsewhere and for that reason I wouldn't bother unless the car specifically requires XL/re-inforced tyres.

Our Galaxy requires XL tyres due to the vehicle weight no doubt. I've had Michelins, Avons and Pirellis on it and can't say the ride has been "hard" on any of them but then I have no way of comparing what standard tyres would be like on that vehicle.
 Are XL Rated Tyres Worthwhile? - Statistical Outlier
They made my Accord tramline, and may have been slightly more noisy (didn't really notice until I replaced them with 91s again).
 Are XL Rated Tyres Worthwhile? - -
I prefer them, the extra strength can't do any harm with the state of our third world roads.

Oddly enough the C2 has XL's on it's original tyres, i nearly dropped a clanger when i ordered a pair last week (for the front), almost clicked the wrong rating.
 Are XL Rated Tyres Worthwhile? - Lygonos
Made a very noticeable improvement on the cornering of our old CR-V. Little impact on ride quality but that may be more to do with the relatively long travel suspension.

Michelin Latitude were also very good in the snow during January.
 Are XL Rated Tyres Worthwhile? - NeilS
Changed from 99 to 103XL on my Subaru Outback and I can feel they are noticeably firmer. They thump a little bit more over bumps and seem a bit sharper on turn in but it's very marginal. Definitely a little bit noisier on harsher surfaces but on the majority of motorway surfaces where I spend most of my time, no different to the 99s.
Latest Forum Posts