Motoring Discussion > Date of VED changes Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 18

Date of VED changes - Crankcase
Today's post delivered my tax reminder, as it runs out on 31st March.

My little Aygo is only £35 anyway, so I can't really complain, but I knew that it ought to be £20 from April, so I was expecting the lower figure. However, the reminder (and online system) still asks for £35.

Although it's only £15 difference, I just rang DVLA to confirm, and it turns out that all the published figures say and literally mean "from April", NOT "from April 1st" which is what I had imagined.

Apparently it's not yet confirmed which actual date in April the changes will take place, unless she was spinning me a porky.

The long and short of it is that if the change happens on April 2nd or later, then I am liable for the current higher rate, not the new one.

Mouldy chizz, as Jennings would say.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 5 Mar 10 at 17:48
 Date of VED changes - Londoner
According to the AA, the new rates start on April1st 2010.
www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_roadtax.html
Last edited by: Londoner on Fri 5 Mar 10 at 18:25
Not sure it does actually. It says the "first year licence rate" for a new car changes on the 1st, but nothing about all others, unless I'm missing it.
 Date of VED changes - L'escargot
According to Parker's .............. tinyurl.com/yzlkksh Input your car's details to see how it applies to you.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 6 Mar 10 at 07:56
Thanks for that Mr L. Tells me £20 which is what I was expecting, but it's not what DVLA actually want from me.

I guess for people at the other end of the scale (ie most people) they will actually avoid the April tax increase, so it's bad news for me but good for others whose tax is due 1st April.

Date of VED changes - Bellboy
what would it be if you parked it up midnight 1st april and sorned it online
Then taxed it on the 2nd?
It's an idea certainly. But as DVLA won't tell me (or genuinely don't know) when in April it changes I might be SORNed for days and days, and the money doesn't make it worthwhile. I don't know why I'm even thinking about £15 to be honest!

I'll shut up now and pay it.
 Date of VED changes - Bellboy
£15 would buy dish of the day with free starters at my local chinese (for 2)
so if you can afford to park it up for the day we need your feedback :-)
Yes, but 2nd April is a Friday. Work day. Two of us in by bus and back is a tenner, so the savings start to look less like a meal out and more like a quarter pound of sherbert lemons these days.

I take your point though and it rankles me. I still get grumpy over a ten quid fee I paid for a late credit card payment years ago, through my own stupidity. Might be an over reaction but I vowed at that point never to use credit cards again, and cleared them as fast as possible. Never used them again. Don't think other than that I ever paid interest though.
 Date of VED changes - Hugo
I think I need to tax my Discovery TD5 before 1st april - looks like I'm going to be stung for an extra £30!

Just to close the loop on this one - the final word is this.

The tax changes are now happening from 1st April.

If you tax at any point up until midnight 31st March, you pay the OLD rate, even if it changes in April.

So I had the option of taxing actually on 1st April and paying a lower rate, but as the nice lady pointed out the car would "have to be kept off the road until the disc turned up in case of failure to display".

I paid the higher rate in the end.
 Date of VED changes - crocks
Don't forget there is a budget next week when rates could go up.

I've had to pay more in the past by not buying before the end of the month when a budget intervened.
Final salt in the wound. Just had my phone bill for last month. Not being even remotely worldly wise with telephones I of course just dialled the number on the DVLA website for queries.

£1.47 for an 11 minute call, of which about 10 minutes and 59.5 seconds were on hold.

I get my calls free in my telphone package, but this was marked as NG, with no explanation. I take it to mean "Non Geographic", or somesuch.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 26 Mar 10 at 15:58
 Date of VED changes - Ted

Got 4 discs in the post this morning.
2 @ £120.........must be Citroen C3 petrols
2 @ £35..............C3 Diesels.
Got to find the cars in town and stick the discs in before the 1st.

Taxation class of all is DC.........what's that mean ? ( dreadful cars ? )
Thought they were all PLG .

Ted
>> Taxation class of all is DC.........what's that mean ? ( dreadful cars ? )
>> Thought they were all PLG .

DC = diesel car
PC = petrol car

Look on your own tax disc(s) and you should see one or the other, as appropriate.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 26 Mar 10 at 18:18
 Date of VED changes - Ted

In that case all 4 must be diesels and the 2 more expensive ones must be Picassos with larger engines.
All new to me

Ted
 Date of VED changes - RattleandSmoke
Just checked the VED for my new Panda for when I get it. Its going to cost me £0.00 and in the second year it will cost me just £30 a year.
>> >> Taxation class of all is DC.........what's that mean ? ( dreadful cars ? )
>> >> Thought they were all PLG .
>>
>> DC = diesel car
>> PC = petrol car

These categories basically only apply to cars registered since the changes were introduced.

If you have an older car which had "PLG" in its tax disc, then that car will continue to be classified "PLG" at each tax disc renewal.

It will tell you the taxation class on your V5.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 27 Mar 10 at 09:12
 Date of VED changes - RattleandSmoke
Visit saynoto0870.com :) I always use it, it can sometimes cause a bit of confusion though if the number is not quite correct!!

Latest Forum Posts