Motoring Discussion > Cycle carriers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 41

Cycle carriers - Bobby
A couple of weeks after getting my X1 last June, I bought genuine BMW roof bars and a couple of cycle carriers from a guy on ebay. The next day I went over on my ankle and busted it and was in strapping for a number of weeks.
During lockdown I have been pottering about in my storage unit and kept moving a long brown box out the way - finally twigged that this was my roof bars so have just fitted them for the first time.

Both bars are different lengths, one for front and one for back.

Now, cycle carriers. This is the type that clamps to the sloping frame of the bike and then each wheel is in a holder with the ratchet type strap over it. Anytime I have used these type before I always also add a cable tie at each wheel and round the frame support. Is this overkill? What do others on here use for bike carriers? Also any benefit of having the bike point one way or another (road bike)?

I once had a Thule 4 bike towball carrier that defied logic and gravity. It was held purely on the towball, no extra bar or stabiliser of any sort. Could also tilt it out the way to open the boot. Didnt affect the fuel consumption as bad as the roof one does, and certainly easier to fit than on the roof of an SUV wher I need to take a small set of steps in my boot to use!

Many years ago I made a bike carrier - basically a pallet with 4 of these bike carriers screwed onto it and the pallet simply lifted into a small camping trailer I had.

And then of course, cant forget my Civic with its magic seats - could just put the magic seats up and put two bikes (minus the front wheel) into the foot well.
 Cycle carriers - Runfer D'Hills
I use roof mounted Thules on my car Bobby. In fact I rarely take them off. When empty they don't seem to make any noticeable difference to mpg. When they have bikes on they do rip fuel consumption quite a lot, particularly at motorway speeds. My car isn't tall so loading and unloading is a cinch. No steps required. I get why you might add a cable tie but to be honest I don't bother, and I've never had one work loose even on a run to the south of France.

Towbar mounts are great ( much better for economy ) but expensive to buy and of course you need to store it when not in use.

I can see why putting a road bike in the car would be OK, but clarty MTBs are better outside!
 Cycle carriers - Bobby
You mean you dont have one of those portable power wash thingies to clean your bike before loading up?? :)
And its clatty :)
Depends which side of Harthill services you grew up !
 Cycle carriers - Bobby
Salt n Vinegar side!
 Cycle carriers - bathtub tom
Just remember the things are up there when going under barriers and the such. I'm sure we've all seen the youtube clips.
>> Just remember the things are up there when going under barriers and the such. I'm sure we've all seen the youtube clips.

Aye indeed, one of the reasons I like having one of those pyjamaramic roofs !

;-)
 Cycle carriers - zippy
Our god daughter is a bus driver.

There was an accident and the boys in blue ordered her to turn around in a council car park.

She refused explain the size of the bus but they insisted.

One bent bus and pole later and a summons for driving without due care and attention - cheeky cops!

Luckily passengers on the bus were good enough to be witnesses in court and the charge was dropped and the BIB admonished for bringing the case when it was their fault!
Actually, I'm with you there Bobby, salt and sauce is an aberration for which, although not my fault, I feel I should unreservedly apologise.

Those of who grew up near the boats tend not to put anything on fish, it's still fresh enough to have enough flavour of its own. I suppose by the time it's crossed the M8 it needs a bit of help? ;-)

It occurs to me that there will be some here who have no clue as to what we're on about !

Cycle carriers - Boxsterboy
This is why I have a vehicle big enough to hold bike(s) inside without even having to take the front wheels off! More secure too.
 Cycle carriers - Zero
>> This is why I have a vehicle big enough to hold bike(s) inside without even
>> having to take the front wheels off! More secure too.

Me too, but it would soil the cream leather so I bought a caravan that holds bikes

www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nationwidecaravanninguk.com%2Fcaravan-details%3Fcaravanid%3D2021&psig=AOvVaw3zLfqVnnshN0Uhvb41NlFy&ust=1594314110386000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCKD-4IWRvuoCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 8 Jul 20 at 18:02
 Cycle carriers - No FM2R
That's pretty cool.

However, I assume that when the bed is down at night the bikes would need to stay outside? Not so very theft proof I shouldn't think.
 Cycle carriers - Zero
>> That's pretty cool.
>>
>> However, I assume that when the bed is down at night the bikes would need
>> to stay outside? Not so very theft proof I shouldn't think.

No its not, but you can chain them to the tow hitch, no-one is going to nick them without you hearing.
 Cycle carriers - tyrednemotional
...and if you believe that....

;-)
 Cycle carriers - Falkirk Bairn
Rav4 owner neighbour - he is into bikes, big style - 3/4 roughly £6-10K each.

Lots of thefts so he has bought an old VW van with a side door. £1,000 for the 12 year old 110K van. He has spent the last 3 months, on & off, cleaning up the van, 2 new seats, new ice, re-wiring some of the lighting, T-cut & polish, new set of alloys from a Golf, overhaul brakes, brake pads etc etc - from an old builders van he has polished the turd.

Looks a perfectly acceptable bike cave - pushed he can fold down a mattress & sleep in the van, beside his beloved bikes.

Cycle carriers - Mr Moo
‘New ice’

...is that an internal combustion engine or in car entertainment?!
 Cycle carriers - Rudedog
Is there a width limit for cycles mounted on the rear of cars?

Saw two cars at the weekend that came millimetres from hitting each other as they passed, both had rear cycles that were slightly wider than the cars, I’ve also seen where the cycles overhung onto the pavement of a narrow picturesque village which made a few people jump.

Cycle carriers - Fullchat
From memory 305mm overhang either side before you need to take any further action.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Thu 9 Jul 20 at 11:26
 Cycle carriers - Bobby
>>It occurs to me that there will be some here who have no clue as to what we're on about !

think there are a few Scottish based posters on here?
 Cycle carriers - commerdriver
>> >>It occurs to me that there will be some here who have no clue as
>> to what we're on about !
>>
>> think there are a few Scottish based posters on here?
>>
And a good few missionaries who left Scotland and came south to spread the culture 43 years ago.
 Cycle carriers - Bobby
>>In fact I rarely take them off.

I have been driving about with the roof bars on and two empty cycle carriers. Not much in the way of noise below around 55mph but after that they get very noisy and at 95mph they whistle so loudly that the dog has his ears fully pinned up trying to work out where noise is coming from!
Ah, I hadn't realised you lived in Germany now Bobby?
;-)
 Cycle carriers - legacylad
Little Germany. A part of inner city Bradford. Must be one of those Lambos the locals hire for wedding celebrations and pass around the guests.
 Cycle carriers - Bobby
Since they redid the M8 and widened it a few years ago there are certain stretches that lends itself to Italian tune-ups ...
 Cycle carriers - Falkirk Bairn
VW Golfs need Italian tune-ups in the Inverness area apparently ( no motorways this far north.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/scottish-highlands-driver-charged-143mph-a-road-speeding-a9616426.html
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Tue 14 Jul 20 at 07:31
 Cycle carriers - Bobby
Now that’s a crazy speed! Especially on the A9. Though if it’s a stretch the driver knows well then it might not be as crazy.
>> I have been driving about with the roof bars on and two empty cycle carriers. Not much in the way of noise below around 55mph but after that they get very noisy...

Funny thing, but if I have just two racks "upstairs" then they can get a bit noisy at higher speeds, but with three ( or more ) they're much quieter.

Must be to do with the airflow.
 Cycle carriers - Bromptonaut
>> I have been driving about with the roof bars on and two empty cycle carriers.
>> Not much in the way of noise below around 55mph but after that they get
>> very noisy and at 95mph they whistle so loudly that the dog has his ears
>> fully pinned up trying to work out where noise is coming from!

It's possible the noise is resonance and can be trimmed/tuned by adjusting the tension on the mountings.

We used the type of bars you mention for years on the BX and Xantia but found Berlingos too tall to safely load/unload. Could carry up to four bikes with directions alternating to minimise handlebar conflicts. Still some saddle/bar issues but minimised by order of loading and selective lowering of one saddle.
 Cycle carriers - Duncan
I have been looking at various way of carrying my electric bike. A rear tow bar type of thing would be most convenient, but THE COST!!

Around £600 for towbar supplied and fitted, plus the cost of the carrier. I think I will stick to carrying the bike inside the car.
I guess an electric bike might be a bit heavy to lift on and off a roof mounted rack? Unless you can detach the battery pack maybe? I tend to resist putting my bikes in the car as they are often really dirty. People do swear by those towbar mounted racks but as you say, they are a price.
 Cycle carriers - R.P.
Bobby, do you need a dog guard for the X1...I have one BMW accessory - I;ll send it you for the cost of carriage.
>>...do you need a dog guard for the X1...I have one BMW accessory...

Dog guards are standard on Mercedes Benz estates, integral part of the load cover assembly. Do BMWs not have that?

Gosh, fair enough, who would have thought? Just goes to show eh? Blimey...

;-)
 Cycle carriers - Bobby
Cheers RP but I already have one.
Much appreciate your offer though.
 Cycle carriers - tyrednemotional
I have a "system" from these people to carry the e-bikes in the motorhome, the garage of which is just not high enough to take a bike anyway without the front wheel off.

www.radfazz.de/

On the motorhome they bolt into factory mounted securing rails on either side, and provide a lightweight and secure method of transportation.

Taking the front wheel off is a bit of a faff, but in reality, given the ease of securing the bikes, it's really not much more so than most other carry systems.

They also provide systems for many cars, secured in different ways specific to a given car, but often to the ISO seat mounts on the back of folding seats. The clearance on the X1 is not enough to allow a bike in upright (even sans front wheel), which is a pity, as I really like the system and would have made a further investment.

I suspect your car wouldn't be tall enough either, Duncan, but it might be a useful bit of info for anyone drawn to read this by the title.
Probably a bit influenced by years of practice, but I reckon I can securely load or unload and lock or unlock, two bikes onto or off the roof of my car easily in under 30 seconds. I see people faffing with those towbar mounted thingies for what seems ages to achieve the same result.

Harder with an SUV because the bikes are by default higher up. On a "normal" height car, roof mounted racks are a doddle.

Oh, and while it probably goes without saying, never be tempted to use one of those clip/strap on tailgate/boot mounted racks. They damage your car, scratch your bikes and regularly fail in use dumping bikes onto the road, which is bad for your bike, but potentially a lot worse for anyone following behind.
 Cycle carriers - PeterS
I had one of those strap on ones for my Uno when I was a student...never lost a bike. In fact, I had it on the new Uno I bought in ‘92 (which had a plastic tailgate...). The car and rack have long gone. But the Marin Bear Valley I bought the same year as the car is still going :)

I now need a roof rack for the MINI though - bikes fit in it (and the Merc) easily enough, but a 10’6” paddle board is a challenge...
Last edited by: PeterS on Tue 14 Jul 20 at 18:24
This might help you to decide Duncan...

www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/best-bike-racks/
 Cycle carriers - Bobby
Out of curiosity, got a quote for a towbar for the X1.
£450.!

I’ll give that a miss!!
 Cycle carriers - No FM2R
That's certainly a lot of money, but how good /much better are they?

Stuff on the roof of a tall car is an a***, never mind mounting/ dismounting. The clip on the back door on s don't seem safe.
 Cycle carriers - Bobby
I am struggling to work or what type of carrier this twitter.com/polscotrpu/status/1283747104276520962?s=21
Not sure either, but it's not a good one ! Daft thing is, that car has roof rails, it would have easy to put a proper rig on it.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 16 Jul 20 at 14:17
...and, is that some kind of dodgy magazine on the carrier of one of the bikes?

:-0
Latest Forum Posts