Motoring Discussion > Hospital Car Parking Legal Questions
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 36

Hospital Car Parking - Perky Penguin
Are any penalties imposed for not paying, or for overstaying, in a hospital car park enforceable by law or do they fall into the "Breach of Contract" area which applies in supermarket car parks?
 Hospital Car Parking - Zero
It entirely depends on the nature of the car park. You need to check the car park signage to see if its a private company to whom the trust has subcontracted parking services.

Most hospital trusts fall under the breach of contract type
Thank you Zero, I thought that there might not be a consolidated common policy!
 Hospital Car Parking - movilogo
I never understood why patients visiting hospital need to pay parking charge! It should have been free as long as you have a valid appointment in the hospitals.
 Hospital Car Parking - R.P.
It's free parking at most hospitals in Wales - I can't decide whether I agree or not an believe that the "valid appointment" was the correct way to go. The local hospital (Bangor) is free and the local council have adopted the roads on the site for DYLs to be enforced..
 Hospital Car Parking - hobby
Reading the Scotsman recently it seems that the Scots are now thinking of charging people for seeing the Doctor or staing overnight in hospitals... wonder what they'll do to parking charges if that comes in!
wow, they might even have to pay for prescriptions, instead of us soft southerners paying for it.
 Hospital Car Parking - ....
You need to stop reading the Daily Mail Z :)
They have a budget and this is what they have chosen to do with it. England chose to pump that cash into other places.
Last edited by: gmac on Mon 13 Sep 10 at 11:00
 Hospital Car Parking - R.P.
Oh don't start him off gmac - he'll be moaning how the poor oppressed southern pensioner subsides entire nation states in a minute...!
He does! he does! you are so right.

>> England chose to pump that cash into other places.
>>

yes, Scotland.
 Hospital Car Parking - Old Navy
I moved up here, it is great, and I can choose when, and for how long to visit the South Eastern hell hole. Where you live is your choice Z, stop whinging. Oh, I also have a hospital and rail station within five minutes walk, both with ample free parking, I just walk though. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 13 Sep 10 at 13:27
I'll move up there then, that'll give you something to whinge about.
>> yes, Scotland.
>>
Don't forget how you are proping up the rest of Europe, the influx of new EU residence, how things have not been the same since Diane died, Gawd Bless 'er oh! paper creep getting the Daily Mail and Daily Express mixed up.
And dont get me on the new "pollock" war with Iceland. Stealing our money and now our fish,....
How many Ramipril are you on a day ? :)
Drugs? I can't afford drugs I dont live in Scotland.......
I thought you could, just not for yourself...
 Hospital Car Parking - Dwight Van Driver
Will depend if an Off Street Parking Order has been made ( doubful) but if there is Stautory Authority then any ticket will come as

FIXED PENALTY NOTICE, or

PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE or

PARKING CHARGE NOTICE or similar wording.

The first two should not be ignored.

The third civil contract file wpb

dvd
 Hospital Car Parking - Armel Coussine
Hospital car parking in provincial France, like parking in most small towns except in the historic centre ville: free, and usually more than adequate.

Trains in France: half the price or less than in Britain, always on time to the second or a couple of minutes early, in my experience.

If only we had had de Gaulle and Pompidou and Mitterrand to get us on our feet after the second world war. But no one did, and we are still faffing about accusing each other of breaking piddling regulations (actually the French do a bit of that too sometimes).
 Hospital Car Parking - Bromptonaut
>> Trains in France: half the price or less than in Britain, always on time to
>> the second or a couple of minutes early, in my experience.

But I wish they'd get their heads round a regular interval timetable. I also have the impression that, services to Paris apart, they're not that quick.
 Hospital Car Parking - Armel Coussine
A bit quicker than trains cancelled for no reason or that stop half way and shovel you into a bus because Railtrack won't pay overtime to get the job done at night, the way BR used to do it.

Mrs Thatcher demolished BR and with it any pretence of a properly functioning rail system. Deliberately in my opinion.

No French politician would have been crazy enough to do something like that. They know if they did the voters would have their guts for garters and their family jewels on a plate with garlic as a starter.

Unfortunately despite our noble and heroic selfimage we are a nation of bleating, moaning ninnies.
 Hospital Car Parking - Quizman
>>>Mrs Thatcher demolished BR

BR was denationalised when John Major was Prime Minister.
Why Mrs. Thatcher gets the blame for everything is a mystery to me.
I wish she was in charge now, she would sort these union dinosaurs out good and proper.
I find the UK train service fine, as regards price, if one books ahead. I have just booked mid-November, Peterborough to Birmingham (day in Birmingham) Birmingham to Reading then Wokingham. 3 Day break in Wokingham, train to Waterloo, X London on the tube and KX to Peterborough all for £28, with a senior Railcard I will admit.
I use trains every day (Northampton to Euston) and am very rarely delayed. Daughter has been from Banbury to Southampton twice in last week, once returning by same route and the other changing at Basingstoke for Waterloo - all within minutes of time. Her boyfriend was however an hour late back from London on Saturday; because he boarded the wrong train changing at Milton Keynes!!

My response to your earlier post wasn't meant to be 'knocking', but apart from being cheaper I'm not convinced SNCF (excepting the TGV and other radial routes from Paris) is as much better as we'd like to believe.
Just to put things in perspective, French trains are, on the whole slower than ours (excluding TGV)... They have little money spent on them (again with exception of the TGVs) and are also about as reliable as ours (again excluding TGVs)... If they stopped spending the money spent on newer and newer TGVs they could have quite a good service on their Regional Railways... but they don't... Trouble is that our lot want to do the same over here, spend billions on a worthless High Speed Line to Brum and Leeds/Manchester for the use of a very small minority of travellers whilst starving the rest of the system... Its one thing the Scots and Welsh have got right... they are investing for the future...

Motoring connection... if we don't improve capacity on the railways and extend the network where needed we'll end up with gridlock on the roads in many parts of the country in a few years time... One of those times where sensible investment (not HS2!!) will reap dividends in the future for both motorists and rail travellers...

But we've no chance of it happenning...
A lot of the trains I travel on are packed. We need longer trains or a more frequent service. Some the rolling stock on the East Coast line (formerly LNER and then GNER) is so old that one has to lower the window to open the door using the outside handle, the only one! They have added an electric locking device but the basic structure in pretty ancient.
>> A lot of the trains I travel on are packed.

Ditto. The east and west coast lines are both full. Not just in the peak but for much of the day. I don't welcome a new line tearing up parts of this county but, like the high speed line to the chunnel, the faster journey is a welcome by-product. The real need is for extra capacity.

The only other way is longer trains which need expensive modifications to platforms and signalling. Or much slower trains which, like the 40mph motorway, get the greatest possible number of vehicles past a given point.
>> The only other way is longer trains which need expensive modifications to platforms and signalling.
>> Or much slower trains which, like the 40mph motorway, get the greatest possible number of
>> vehicles past a given point.
>>

Not necessarily, many mainline platforms are already underused because the new trains are shorter than the old ones... even a nine coach voyager has space to spare on most platforms... The problem is that in BR days (and as seen on the Continent) the trains were too long and people were well spaced out... One point in Privatisation in this country is that the TOCs are charged for the length of their train, so their ideal is for the shortest train possible with most people in seats but a few standing for parts of the journeys... (You'll never sort out Friday afternoon or rush hour overcrowding btw, even BR didn't manage that!)...

Longer trains with more passing loops so that you can have more slow or semi fast trains to relieve the pressure on expresses who also have less stops than at present... I work on an inter city service, but for much of the time, because of the number of stops we make we act as a commuter train, which we aren't...

Which all needs money... which seems to be heading for HS2 at the moment... So no incentive for people to even consider rail over road...
Last edited by: hobby on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 09:26
 Hospital Car Parking - MD
Don't need the Froggies to burn our meat. Just give it to my Mother-Out-Law! God bless her.
 Hospital Car Parking - L'escargot
>> I never understood why patients visiting hospital need to pay parking charge!

Parking charges have to be imposed to help limit the amount of time parked by any individual, and hence to help give other users a fair crack of the whip.
 Hospital Car Parking - Old Navy
I can see the problem in heavily populated areas with draconian parking restrictions. A free hospital car park would be full of commuters, shoppers or whatever, and then the hospital users would be complaining even more than they are about charges. I do think that staff should not pay, or at least have income related charges.
 Hospital Car Parking - Cliff Pope
>> >> I never understood why patients visiting hospital need to pay parking charge!
>>
>> Parking charges have to be imposed to help limit the amount of time parked by
>> any individual, and hence to help give other users a fair crack of the whip.
>>

But nobody choses to spend time in hospital any longer than they have to. Most time is wasted because the NHS has never managed to understand how to operate a proper appointments system. They think "appointment" means telling everyone to attend the clinic at 10.00 am, and then they spend the next 3 hours working through the patients in a queue.
Out in the real world appointments are allocated in spaced time slots. But that wouldn't earn as much money from parking charges of course.

>> But nobody choses to spend time in hospital any longer than they have to. Most
>> time is wasted because the NHS has never managed to understand how to operate a
>> proper appointments system. They think "appointment" means telling everyone to attend the clinic at 10.00
>> am, and then they spend the next 3 hours working through the patients in a
>> queue.
>> Out in the real world appointments are allocated in spaced time slots. But that wouldn't
>> earn as much money from parking charges of course.

Inside the real world of the NHS they tried giving people timed appointments, but were plagued by no shows and people being late resulting in doctors and consutants having wasted time.

blame you fellow man, not the NHS.

Hospital Car Parking - Cliff Pope
>>
>> >>
>>
>> Inside the real world of the NHS they tried giving people timed appointments, but were
>> plagued by no shows and people being late resulting in doctors and consutants having wasted

>>
>>
>>

My dentist doesn't have that problem. People who don't show up are fined, people who are late find their slot filled by emergency cases and they have to go to the back of the queue.
 Hospital Car Parking - FotheringtonTomas
>> I never understood why patients visiting hospital need to pay parking charge!

I agree. Visitors are forced to pay to a) Stop the car park being used by any TDH, and b) as a revenue earner.

>> It should have been free as long as you have a valid appointment in the hospitals.

Yes, or if you're visiting, or work there.
>> or work there.

Alas the carpark has to be free to everyone if you are to avoid being lumped with a taxable benefit.
Latest Forum Posts