Motoring Discussion > US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 12

US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home - smokie
I wonder if this will catch on over here?

www.bbc.com/news/business-52194521

"Allstate will be paying customers back in two ways. Drivers in quarantine will receive refunds, while most customers will be given a 15% discount on monthly premiums for April and May. The discounts will apply to 18 million customers.

"This is fair because less driving means fewer accidents," said Tom Wilson, chief executive at Allstate. Its data showed driving mileage was down between 35% and 40%.

"American Family Mutual said it would be making a one-time payment to all customers. "They are driving less and experiencing fewer claims. Because of these results, they deserve premium relief," said chief operating officer Telisa Yancy."

I guess your cover would remain intact for fire & theft and other non-driving related liabilities.
 US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home - Fullchat
Oooh that cheered me up :)

Don't hold your breath.
 US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home - Haywain
Yes - and with everyone at home, there will be fewer daytime burglaries - so next year, we can expect massive reductions in household premiums as well ....... can't we?
 US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home - No FM2R
Presumably with a corresponding rise in business premiums since they're getting burgled a lot. Or at least they are here, even a military curfew from 22:00 - 05:00 doesn't seem to be stopping them.
 US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home - Haywain
"Or at least they are here, even a military curfew from 22:00 - 05:00 doesn't seem to be stopping them."

Hence the earlier observation ............. www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52189349

US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home - Fullchat
The may be transferring the excess money into the cancelled travel arrangements pot.
 US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home - No FM2R
Nobody to hold the gun. You have to be in your primary residence which isn't, usually, the business.
Admiral told my daughter earlier today they would refund her £25 and it's now in the news.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52367030

Seems fair. Good for them. I hope others follow suit.
...well, not the refund to my daughter, that's not made the news LOL
 US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home - Falkirk Bairn
£25 might be welcome but to young drivers paying £150 / mth it is a small win.

I pay £180 annual premium so £25 would be almost 2 months worth!
 US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home - martin aston
I seem to be the only one who doesn’t agree with this. What if the boot was on the other foot and insurers’ risk/costs had markedly gone up due to some unforeseen event. Would we all willingly pay the insurers an extra premium before normal renewal? Not me.

For me insurance is a commercial agreement I enter into. There is no loyalty on either side and if I can get a lower premium next year from a company who has retained the windfall then I will. Meanwhile, for this year, I struck a deal and expect both parties to abide by it
 US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home - Duncan

>> For me insurance is a commercial agreement I enter into. There is no loyalty on
>> either side and if I can get a lower premium next year from a company
>> who has retained the windfall then I will. Meanwhile, for this year, I struck a
>> deal and expect both parties to abide by it

Quite so. Got it in one. Completely agree.
 US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home - Boxsterboy
We have 5 cars insured on an Admiral multi-car, so looking forward to that!!
Latest Forum Posts