Motoring Discussion > Securing a trailer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 17

Securing a trailer - legacylad
My trailer needs to be left on the drive of a friends home between 8am & 7pm for a few days whilst I am working several miles away. The garage is full and I cannot get it around the rear of the house. I have a universal hitchlock, but this would not prevent passing scroats from pushing it away.
Ideally, I would like to tether it to a wall, which is a visual deterent.
Any suggestions please, although I realize that anyone equipped with a decent pair of bolt cutters could probably cut the chain or wire...or could they?
Thanks
 Securing a trailer - FotheringtonTomas
>> I have a universal hitchlock, but this would not prevent .. scroats from pushing it

Use that and put the trailer in the "drive" with the towing bit facing away from the road. No-one's likely to push it away. You could always put a "wheely bin" behind it.

>> anyone equipped with a decent pair of bolt cutters could probably cut the chain
>> or wire...or could they?

Yup.

I would not worry about it. It's insured if you have house contents insurance anyway.
 Securing a trailer - crocks
Take a wheel off it to provide further deterrent to opportunist thieves.
 Securing a trailer - ....
Trouble with that Crocks is someone will come along and help themselves to the other wheel.
 Securing a trailer - crocks
Well how about putting a clip-on bike carrier on it.
No one wants one of those. ;-)
 Securing a trailer - ....
Where would you find such a thing. It's not like anyone ever sells one :)
OP back on track do you anyone with a motorbike. Those Abus chains take some cutting.
 Securing a trailer - FotheringtonTomas
Oh ar. That's what I do too (? not thinking today).
 Securing a trailer - Mapmaker
Wheelclamp?
 Securing a trailer - Fullchat
Take the hitch off? 4 bolts? + wheelclamps etc.
 Securing a trailer - Bigtee
If they want to steal it they will 2x men will pick it up and put on back of a van there its gone.

Other than preventing it there's nothing you can do unless you sit a hungry big dog in it all day.!!
 Securing a trailer - Manatee
Wheelclamp and hitchlock if you think it's vulnerable, and you don't feel like taking the wheels on and off.

If it's a decent trailer it is likely to be a target. Hitchlocks alone are no good - a rope round the hitch and the towball and they'll tow it away anyway, and cut the hitchlock off later. Wheelclamps they will normally cut off quickly with an angle grinder, but if it's outside an occupied house in a residential area at night that might be deterrent enough to prevent a noisy operation.

All provided it's not a little camping trailer they can just throw in the back of the Transit, as Bigtee says.
 Securing a trailer - idle_chatterer
I used to secure my beloved Brenderup (sold last week as I become a car-less expat - or should that be care-less) with a bulldog hitch look, bulldog wheel clamp and locking wheel nuts. Trailer insurance was UKP 31 a year IIRC. As others have commented, if somebody really wants the thing they'll have it anyhow but you can hope that the noise / hassle of stealing a secured trailer will be deterrent enough....
 Securing a trailer - MD
The trouble with twin axle trailers when unfettered is that just a rope around the 'A' bar and linked to the thieving vehicle is enough. Like a faithful Dog it will just follow so a ball lock etc. is useless.

M
 Securing a trailer - legacylad
Thanks for all your advice. A wheelclamp it shall be.
It is not an expensive trailer, but worth stealing nonetheless. I just wanted sufficient deterent for any passing scroat, whiling away the time between his giro arriving and his mates getting out of bed to come and while away their hours on his playstation.
Cynical. Me?
 Securing a trailer - MD
240v will do where 440 unavailable.
 Securing a trailer - Runfer D'Hills
Just slap a "Caution Toxic Waste" sticker on it......

:-)
 Securing a trailer - Old Navy
A guy who lives near me stores his caravan on his drive, he replaces the wheels with square steel plates.

www.waudbys.co.uk/products/details/16111.html
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 10 Sep 10 at 21:31
 Securing a trailer - bathtub tom
Didn't I see a trailer for some telly programme that suggested square wheels were as good as round?
Latest Forum Posts