Motoring Discussion > CVT and manual control Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 11

CVT and manual control - movilogo
I noticed that in Nissan Qashqai CVT, there is a slot for manually upshift/downshift in gear selector.

IIRC, CVTs have stepless variation (i.e. no gears).

So, which gear is selected durning manual up/downshift?
 CVT and manual control - Bagpuss
If the Nissan system is anything like the Audi system, the CVT has 7 preprogrammed steps rather than working steplessly. In automatic mode it shifts up and down from step to step and in manual mode you can select the steps yourself in the same way you select the ratios manually in a "normal" automatic gearbox.
 CVT and manual control - Londoner
Apologies for being a pedant, but hasn't the Audi Multitronic gearbox actually got 8 pre-set gear ratios?
You might be right. I was using an A6 with Multitronic for 9 months or so and I think it had 7 ratios but I don't have access to it any more to check, so might be wrong. The CVT box is the work of Satan anyway and so massively inferior to DSG (S-Tronic in Audispeak) I don't know why Audi still use it.
>> The CVT box is the work of Satan anyway and so massively inferior to DSG (S-Tronic in Audispeak)
>> I don't know why Audi still use it.
>>
I agree with your description of the Audi CVT gearbox. I have two theories as to why they still use it:

a) To encourage people to find the extra money and upgrade to a higher-spec car in the same range that has S-Tronic.

b) To try to recoup the investment that they made in the development of the Multitronic by peddling as many units as they can to people who don't know any better, instead of giving them a decent auto box.
Last edited by: Londoner on Fri 10 Sep 10 at 14:20
Oddly the S-Tronic doesn't seem to be available at all in the present A6, or the A4 for that matter if the catalogues are to be believed. Only the A3 and the TT. Odd since it's available in the VW Passat.
>> Oddly the S-Tronic doesn't seem to be available at all in the present A6, or
>> the A4 for that matter if the catalogues are to be believed. Only the A3
>> and the TT. Odd since it's available in the VW Passat.
>>
VAG are full of oddities like that, aren't they?
Another example is that you can get the TSI 170 Engine with DSG gearbox on the Passat CC, but not on the Audi A5 Sportback (The only four cylinder diesel + Auto offering is the lower 143 PS Engine + Multitronic combo)
I'm guessing (and this is only a guess), that the DSG gearbox is presently only engineered for transverse engine installations.
 CVT and manual control - nice but dim
>> Oddly the S-Tronic doesn't seem to be available at all in the present A6, or
>> the A4 for that matter if the catalogues are to be believed. Only the A3
>> and the TT. Odd since it's available in the VW Passat.
>>

Maybe it to do with engine layout and fitment (longtudinal and transverse)??
Absolutely - that was the case for long time. However, from 2009, Audi started to use a new 7 speed wet-clutch S-Tronic box specially developed so that longitudinal engines could use it.

(See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox , yes I know it's wikipedia, but I have seen it cited elsewhere, just can't remember the place at the minute)
 CVT and manual control - Bellboy
if its the same as a primera you shift the stick once you have pulled it across the gate to put it in the gear you require
i used mine mainly to keep it in 6th gear for maximum economy on the motorway
and low ratio for snow conditions
i find this setup works quite well
obviously the squashkey might be different
 CVT and manual control - Mike Hannon
Why not just renounce the devil's works and buy an old Honda Jazz? CVT, 7 presets, works fine, end of story.
Latest Forum Posts