Motoring Discussion > Porsche - Tyre longevity question Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 58

Porsche - Tyre longevity question - legacylad
Zeddo...as you have a 4WD higher powered motor with rear wheel bias, I just wondered how long the rear tyres had lasted on your 540 Touring?
I’ve noticed that my rears, Michelin Latitude Sport 3s (295/40 R20) are wearing down quite quickly ( and evenly on both tyres) after only 11k miles. Obviously I don’t thrash the car otherwise I’d have lost my licence by now. Or worse.
Previously my Michelin Alpins on the 330, which I drove a lot harder, were still going strong at 30k miles. That’s surprised me...recommendations are to stay with the same make and model on each corner.
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - Zero
Its got 34k miles up, the OEM 245/45-18 Pirelli Cinturato P7's have between 2 and 2.5mm left, front and rear appear to be wearing evenly, the fronts have the outside shoulder scrubbed off. I am currently pricing and speccing 4 new boots.

34k miles in two years, has been achieved by a high % of motorway/dual carriageway.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 14 Jan 20 at 14:36
>> Its got 34k miles up, the OEM 245/45-18 Pirelli Cinturato P7's have between 2 and
>> 2.5mm left, front and rear appear to be wearing evenly, the fronts have the outside
>> shoulder scrubbed off. I am currently pricing and speccing 4 new boots.
>>
>>
>> 34k miles in two years, has been achieved by a high % of motorway/dual carriageway.

Looking at my long term trip computer, my average speed has been 43.1 MPH, so clearly a large proportion at higher speeds.

As it I was today, at higher speeds on the M3 the TPMS went into meltdown bleating warnings at me, as I watched the right rear pressure drop from 2.3 bar to .1 bar in the space of two miles.

Nursed it 13 miles home at 55mph.

It rode and handled surprisingly well, the tyre was a bit warm to the touch upon arrival.

So kinda panic buy Got an appointment on Tuesday to fit 4 x runflat Bridgestones,
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - Runfer D'Hills
Bridgestones ?

Ok fine, whatever.

;-)))
>> Bridgestones ?
>>
>> Ok fine, whatever.
>>
>> ;-)))

The Pirelli's were only a B for wet grip, The Bridgestones are A

Wouldnt worry you of course with so little horsepower/.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 19 Jan 20 at 22:58
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - PeterS
>> So kinda panic buy Got an appointment on Tuesday to fit 4 x runflat Bridgestones,

A long time ago now, but I replaced the runflat Bridgestones fitted to my e61 535d touring with Michelins when they reached 3mm, and the ride and grip were both improved noticeably. However, there was room in that for a space saver spare under the boot floor... Mind you, the 235i had non run flats and no spare. I did get a terminal puncture in it, but fortunately only quarter of a mile from home. So I drove back and put one of the winter wheel/tyres on, which were in the shed...

Do the Gxx models have the version of TPMS that show tyre temperature as well...i enojed the challenge on the 235 or seeing just how high the temperatures would get under ‘making progress’ driving in rural(ish) Sussex ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jan 20 at 10:08
My car had Pirelli PZeros on it from new, but they appeared to have the puncture resistance of cottage cheese. Switched to Continental Sport Contacts and they are much more robust. Seem, subjectively anyway, to turn in sharper too.

Kumho Wintercrafts on it at the moment. Noisy, but very effective at doing their cold weather thing. Lateral grip feels a bit compromised at speed though. But as Z says, not really a worry on a car that can barely keep up with the traffic... ;-)
>> My car had Pirelli PZeros on it from new,

The Merc also has Pirelli P Zeros with rather unnecessary 275/30/20 rears and 245/35/20 fronts...grip is not great on damp roads or now the temperature has dropped. However it’s not used enough at the moment to warrant either changing them or getting a set of (smaller) winter wheels / tyres as I’m away so often. Maybe next winter!
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jan 20 at 10:07
PeterS
If you have the opportunity, then spend as little time as poss in the UK during the winter months. Several friends of mine now ‘emigrate’ to the Costa Blanca mid December. They are all action folks....mega miles on their bikes, rock scrambling, lots of sea swimming in wet suits etc.
I normally emigrate to the CB early February, preferring the warmer climes of the Canaries for my walking for a few weeks in both Dec & Jan.
Spend the winter tyre money on air miles. Just don’t tell Greta!
Well it’s certainly working out that way this year. Though next year I need to find somewhere drier than Kenya...and with better roads... ;)

>> Do the Gxx models have the version of TPMS that show tyre temperature as well...i
>> enojed the challenge on the 235 or seeing just how high the temperatures would get
>> under ‘making progress’ driving in rural(ish) Sussex ;)

I have seen the feature appear once, when I was dicking about with the idrive,and I am unable to find it again.
Prob'ly disabled on yours. Wheels will be too small to get an accurate reading you'd think...
;-)
>> Prob'ly disabled on yours. Wheels will be too small to get an accurate reading you'd
>> think...
>> ;-)

Mine is 18 inches, what's yours?
That's classified.
Is that jock for "not bigger than yours?"
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - VxFan
Stop bragging peewee ;)

>> I have seen the feature appear once, when I was dicking about with the idrive,and
>> I am unable to find it again.
>>

From memory it was Main Menu -> Vehicle Info -> Vehicle Status -> Tyre Pressure Monitor in the 235, and it then showed a schematic with pressure and temperature for each wheel. Having said that the MINI, which has basically the same iDrive layout bar the addition of a touch screen, shows pressures only...
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - Bobby
Discovered today the BMW tyre temperatures can be found under the sports dials option!
Probably made of chewing gum on your car LL. Thing is, you don't have a sugar daddy to take care of that sort of thing, which will be the default case with most owners of that model...
;-))

Yeah, I thought ken took care of the bills.
Chuckle chuckle.
I blame it on all the cow muck on the minor roads round here..it’s plastered again in slurry.
Barbie mobile will be going into hibernation soon....next week may be a Firefly Focus until early February. After that a Firefly Fiesta until end March.
As usual the rental will probably be something completely different to that on the voucher.
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - tyrednemotional

>> I blame it on all the cow muck on the minor roads round here..
>>
>>

...do be careful on all that brown ice....
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - R.P.
All four original tyres were changed on my 335 at 20k. High percentage of driving on A roads (mainly like I stole it)...when I sold it at 32k they tyres were half worn according to Volvo's assessment. V60 is covered head to toe in all kinds of muck, which it wears with pride in Lidl's car-park.
I am a sad git that likes washing and polishing my car and seeing it gleaming.

However in winter I take a perverse enjoyment out of seeing how dirty it can get. When I find myself cleaning the lights and number plate with a cloth then I know it’s getting there In dirtiness!
I agree, cleaning a car can be quite cathartic. I feel in need of such succour as much 4 times a year, some years.
;-)
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - Crankcase
Indded. I think I've felt like cleaning the car about four times as well.

Luckily on two of those occasions I went and had a lie down until it wore off and on the other two I sold the car instead.

Well, I seem to be averaging 36,000 miles a year at the moment, so it's getting cleaned pretty much every 9000 miles whether it needs it or not. One has to have standards.

Actually it gets a clean by those nice people at the Mercedes dealer too when it's serviced every 15,000 or so, so I suppose it might be getting done rather too much. Still, appearances have to be maintained and so on.
>> I agree, cleaning a car can be quite cathartic. I feel in need of such
>> succour as much 4 times a year, some years.
>> ;-)
>>

I’m slightly embarrassed to say that I never cleaned the BMW myself, and I had it for three and a half years. We, well, I now, I have had the MINI nearly 18 months and I haven’t cleaned that either. The Merc I’ve only has since September... so I don’t feel bad I haven’t personally cleaned it. It looks a right b*gger to clean though, so might continue the current arrangements ;)
I expect you have "people" for that sort of thing Peter? Or, an old family retainer it would be churlish to cast out at this late stage in his career?
;-)
>> I expect you have "people" for that sort of thing Peter? Or, an old family
>> retainer it would be churlish to cast out at this late stage...

Ah, poor old Scrotum, the wrinkled retainer?

...never happier than when he's outside fondly polishing the young master's drophead with a spot of turtle wax.
;-)
>> ...never happier than when he's outside fondly polishing the young master's drophead with a spot
>> of turtle wax.
>> ;-)

Hood up or down?
I'd see him more as a bowler hat or peaked cap man, but I may be wrong. Maybe he would favour a hood.
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - Bromptonaut
>> Ah, poor old Scrotum, the wrinkled retainer?

I'd never heard that until thirty or so years ago when Mrs B's Uncle introduced the character into some yarn he was telling over breakfast at his rather grand house in remote mid Wales.

Vary much a coffee down nose moment....
I first heard Viv Stanshall use it in Sir Henry at Rawlinson End (which I guess was late seventies, without googling.)
>> I expect you have "people" for that sort of thing Peter? Or, an old family
>> retainer it would be churlish to cast out at this late stage in his career?
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Chance would be a fine thing! Though, I’m now back in Kenya post Christmas and it is interesting to ponder the cultural differences with these things. Here, if you can afford it, it’s seen as your moral duty to employ people. So if you have a few quid (or bob as they refer to it...) it’s expected you’ll employ a maid, a driver, a garden boy, a security guy, then a housekeeper/nanny/whatever if needed to do things. Bearing in mind that the annual cost of each of them is roughly a 12th of someone in the the U.K. on minimum wage. So, what £1,500 a year. Yet at home, where I technically have a cleaner, a gardener and and a personal trainer doing, combined, around 10 hours a week, plus outsourced car cleaning and ironing it’s seen a slightly profligate. Or lazy ;)
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - No FM2R
>> it's seen a slightly profligate. Or lazy ;)

Strange , isn't it.

I have two maids, a gardener and an odd job man; all full time. I pay them well, by local standards. And treat them VERY well by local standards.

Good for me, good for them, yet seen as not quite the done thing by some, Gringos in particular.
My brother was very (very) junior in the UK diplomatic staff in Singapore. He had a firms detached house (ex army officers house) a maid and a gardener. His next posting was Nicaragua - all he got there was an earthquake proof bunker
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - Kevin
Very common for ex-pats in Africa. Particularly mining communities.

We had a fully furnished company house with a large garden full of orange, peach, fig and lemon trees. All maintained and paid for by the company. If I needed so much as a light bulb changed all I had to do was pick up the phone and someone would be there within an hour or two. Company CJ7 Jeep with free fuel and servicing. Free leccy, free gas and water.

Housing was based on seniority within the company and we had to have a huge 3 bedroom bungalow even though there was only the two of us rattling around in the place. There was no discussion. That's what my status demanded so that's what we had to have. Even the avenue you lived on was decreed by status. When I got a promotion we had to move to an even bigger house.

We also had to have a 'houseboy' to do the cleaning, cooking and whatever else we could find for him to do. Poor guy was bored to tears so we eventually managed to convince personnel that he wasn't needed. The only way they could get around the "rules" was to give me a payrise in compensation.
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - Duncan
>> We also had to have a 'houseboy' to do the cleaning, cooking and whatever else
>> we could find for him to do. Poor guy was bored to tears so we
>> eventually managed to convince personnel that he wasn't needed. The only way they could get
>> around the "rules" was to give me a payrise in compensation.

May I be the first to say - that must have been absolutely awful for you.
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - Boxsterboy
Going back to tyre wear on Porsches, I remember when I had my Boxster S the tyres were completely shot after 8,000 miles. But that did include a few track days where there was a fantastic collection of marbles on the tread at the end of the day. Excellent fun!

Although those track days made me realise that a car like that was completely wasted on public roads, unless one drove like an idiot, so I sold it.
Track days, I hear reports that insurance companies and car manufacturers routinely film or review on-line track day footage in the event of warranty or insurance claims.
You seriously believe that?

Sounds like the ones back in the day who were saying don't write on here that you were speeding as the police might read it and come knocking!
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - Kevin
Track days?

My 944 Turbo S absolutely chewed front tyres. Before I bought it, it was used as a company car by some management bod at AFN Reading but also as a track day demonstrator so the suspension and steering setup wasn't exactly tyre friendly.
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - MD
On the subject of tyre wear not Scrotums.

On my 2016 Renault Master van I have gone through (about to change) 2 new fronts (2mm ish) left and 2 new rears (3mm ish) left in 10k miles. The previous model would get 20k easily.

The one thing though that is apparent is that although almost bald they still stick like you know what, whereas the previous could be like skating on ice at this stage. Hardness?, if you'll pardon the expression.
So we have done the first long run* with the new tyres, they feel in all respects the same as the P7's when they were new. Felt a bit like they were coregated at high speeds, out of round maybe, it went after about 40 miles. Wet grip is back to where it was, if not better. The long curve from M25 East to M1 North was taken at 75 mph with no input from the stability control, even tho it was wet.

*In fact it's my first long run since the bowel retraining started, although I don't have an EV I certainly have Range Anxiety
>> The long curve
>> from M25 East to M1 North was taken at 75 mph with no input from
>> the stability control, even tho it was wet.

Going anywhere nice?
Moulton again
>> Moulton again

Didn't there used to be a brand of small wheeled ( possibly folding? ) bikes called "Moulton"?
Wonder if they were made there? Or maybe it was just a bloke with that name.

I shall have to google that now.
Well now y'see, you can always learn eh?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moulton_Bicycle
>> Well now y'see, you can always learn eh?
>>
>> en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moulton_Bicycle

As that article no doubt says Alex Moulton, inventor of the aforesaid small wheel bike, gave his family name. He also devised the rubber cone suspension on the Mini which pre-dated and eventually replaced Hydrolastic.

There's quite a complex genealogy for the bikes/models but the early ones are now eminently collectable. They turn up on the Folding Society's Origami Rides from time to time and there's an annual Moulton shindig every September in, I think, Bradford on Avon.
Here's a thing, it's the 15th of September today, but I expect you knew that. Anyway, thing is, I hadn't got around to getting the winter tyres taken off my car when everything went pear shaped back in March. What with one thing or another, the winters have been on all summer, if you see what I mean. Not that the car has been very far, less than 3000 miles in truth since lockdown.

So, today, it becomes the second half of September, and I feel ever so slightly more relaxed and less self conscious about having the winter tyres on now ( even though it was 27C in my back garden today )

And, I suppose, I just wanted to be the first to mention the subject.

Take cover !

;-)
Winter tyres eh. Not thought about them much until last night when a friend mentioned he was heading off to the Grampian region later this week. Do you need them on motor homes or just stay stranded until Spring arrives?
Spain beckons. Imminently. Hope the BBQ works.
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - hawkeye
'Scuse me for piggy-backing this thread but I don't think I can ignore the widening crevasses between the tread blocks on the Jaguar tyres any more. The car has been doing its fair share of wafting around but I have started pushing on a bit when I go out 'for a drive', sometimes being so bold as to switch the gearbox into sport mode! Other considerations aside, the tyres look like MoT fails to me. I don't suppose the generous coatings of Cherry Blossom they had for the wedding have helped much either.

I'm not interested in having a set of winter wheels like I had for the C8, and still have for Mrs H's C3; I would like to get some all-season tyres. Having said that, the thought of nabbing a set of nice XF-fitting alloys off Ebay distracted me last week.

Goodyear Vector 4 seasons seem to be well written up; anyone any input, suggestions for alternatives or experiences to share?

As usual, TIA.
My wife's car has had Michelin Crossclimates on it for the past couple of years. Seem to be wearing well, quiet in use, grippy enough, and on the two days it snowed while she's had them, she didn't crash, so all good really.
 Porsche - Tyre longevity question - Slightlyfatdirector
CrossClimates are our default.

I put them on the Merc just after it was delivered (the Pirelli's it was on will go back on before I hand back the lease car as the tires will need changing by then) and the difference then (as it was with the V70 before) were marked.

Less noise at all levels and much better grip. The wear rate with these is exceptional too. I have not needed to use them in the kind of snow and ice they can cope with, but it's nice to know they are there if needed.

Have put them on my daughter's Clio as a 'risk reduction' too as she is a new driver. Well recommended.
I rotated my tires front to back a few weeks ago but think I might have done this a bit too late. Front tyres were very worn down but still legal.
Plan is to get all 4 level wears and then switch to Crossclimates.

Though here’s a thing. WFH means that I’ll no longer have the possibility of icy or snowy commutes, jeez I won’t even need to put a windscreen cover on!

Yeah when the tyres need replaced anyway I’ll fit the cross climates but can’t really justify an early swap to be ready for the winter...
Another vote for CrossClimates. On my old 330 which I sold several years ago I had Michelin Alpins. They were v good. The cheap runabout I bought to replace it had 3 different brands of barely legal Chinese ditch finders fitted.
I fitted a full set of CCs almost immediately. Good longevity and worked well in the rare snow I experienced here in the Dales.
Latest Forum Posts