Motoring Discussion > I wish other drivers wouldn't do that Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 124

I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Iffy
There are some things other road users do which are not bad driving as such, but can be annoying.

One of my pet hates is drivers waiting to emerge from a junction who start to roll forward just as I approach on the main road.

They intend to pull out behind me, but it just creates that 'Has he seen me?/Has he not?' uncertainty which is a little nerve-racking.

Any other examples?

I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Zhukov
Drive at 50 mph in a 60 limit and then at 40 mph in a 30 limit.

On a busy motorway some people sit with their indicator on to pull into the outside lane without actually seeing if there is a gap to move into.

I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Zero
Those who nip out smartly in front of you into a gap thats a bit tightish - thats ok, but them mimse down the road at 30 MPH.

I want to kill them.
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Armel Coussine
>> I want to kill them.

Me too Zero, and it's very commonplace. Someone overtook me in a red Golf yesterday, an old one, and then drove along below the limit most of the time... it was raining. The French are not what they once were.

The other thing the carphounds do is tailgate, about one in three does it. Drive along up someone's jaxie peering out around them through the cloud of spray, making a decent overtake impossible.

I still like it here though.
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Redviper
Using the wrong lane on a roundabout, so they can overtake and push in, in front of you that is one of my pet hates!

and/or

Going around a roundabout so fast you do not have time to complete your manouvre. - i hate that!
...Using the wrong lane on a roundabout...

Changing lanes on exiting a roundabout onto a dual carriageway.

By which I mean drivers who go round the roundabout in the outside lane - nearest the island - then dart into the inside lane of a dual carriageway on exit.

I agree

even more so is when there is only one lane on the exit, drivers who use the right hand lane nearest the island - and push in, just to get in front - dangerous and sad.
>> even more so is when there is only one lane on the exit, drivers who
>> use the right hand lane nearest the island - and push in, just to get
>> in front - dangerous and sad.

I dont know how that happens to you, If the roundabout is that tight a: I dont leave sufficient room on my "outside" or b: travel at a slow enough speed to allow them to zip in.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Sep 10 at 11:05
The Roundabouts on the darlington ringroad, i see it happen more or less everday, not just to me, i expect it sometimes i try to have enough speed to not let people in but I would rather just keep out of their way i dont want it to be the day when the driver in the other car fancies his chances and clatters into me.
My very thought (in response to Zero's post). If they can zip in they are going faster than you. Overtaking on roundabouts is perfectly all right. But you have to watch out for the resentful element. They sometimes try something dangerous to fox you.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 9 Sep 10 at 11:11
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Skoda
I think my pet hate might be iffy & redviper :-O

Are you guys turning right from the left hand lane of a roundabout?

Not me, just trying to go straight ahead.
I think my pet hate might be iffy & redviper...Are you guys turning right from the left hand lane of a roundabout?...

Ho-ho.

The problem is when I am in the nearside - left - lane of the roundabout and I leave into the nearside lane of the next exit which is a dual carriageway.

Another driver in the outside lane of the roundabout leaves straight into the nearside lane of the dual carriageway - cutting across my bows.

Some roundabout exits encourage this - the 'natural' line on leaving is to go from the outside lane of the roundabout to the nearside lane of the dual carriageway.

It's still bad driving when there are other cars about.

>> I leave into the nearside lane of the next exit

The "next exit" is on or before 12 o clock from your approach? I don't think i've ever experienced it in that case.

I frequently see folks in the left lane of a roundabout (with no markings to support this) going past the straight ahead exit.

I dunno where they get this from, it's never been in the highway code and never been taught as far as i can tell.

In lieu of markings to the contrary, left hand lane on approach = they're committed to turning off the roundabout to the left or straight ahead. Doesn't matter if there's a dual carriageway exit round the right of the roundabout, only the right hand lane on approach can rightfully access either lane on the exit. Left hand lane on approach cannot go that far round the roundabout (in lieu of markings to the contrary).

There are some roundabouts with grey areas about the 12 o clock but the greyness never extends past 1 o clock without supporting markings.
...The "next exit" is on or before 12 o clock from your approach?...

Yes it is, I'm in the same lane throughout.

I've no problem with being overtaken on the roundabout, it's the subsequent darting into the nearside lane of the exit that annoys me.

The other driver is effectively 'straightlining' the roundabout/exit, which is fine when there are no other cars about.

Gotcha, i have seen that, that's positively dangerous of them.
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - BiggerBadderDave
Drive 10 mph below the limit past cameras - Do they believe it earns them goodwill points for future transgressions.

Slow down and speed up when I'm driving on cruise – Makes me want to ram them.

Position themselves in the middle of the lane when turning right at T-junctions – Keep right you selfish jerks and let the turn-left traffic pass you. Idiots.

Overtake me and then slow down - They feel uncomfortable driving as fast as me but can't resist the urge to pass anyway.

Play their crappy thump thump god-awful music so that I can hear the bass above my own music at traffic lights - Why would anyone want to advertise their pitiful tastes?

Drive the wrong way into petrol stations - How do these dribbling morons reach 60 or 70 years old without figuring it out? Or having their noses broken?

When you're stuck in a traffic jam that's going nowhere so you decide to turn round. You pull out on full right lock and the idiot behind immediately drives forward into the space you had occupied before you can use it to reverse and complete your maneouvre - Brainless monkeys.
Another few.....

People that when turning right feel the need to jink to the left a little bit.

Ignore lane markings in empty supermarket car parks and just shoot accross 4 rows of spaces diagonally, whilst at 40 mph.

People who think that whilst driving in heavy rain amongst the spray of HGV's, driving with sidelights is acceptable.

>> Ignore lane markings in empty supermarket car parks and just shoot accross 4 rows of
>> spaces diagonally, whilst at 40 mph.

Nothing wrong with that.
"Nothing wrong with that."

That's missing the point of the thread - "There are some things other road users do which are not bad driving as such, but can be annoying".
Then prepared to be annoyed by me for that one, and frankly - tough.
"Nothing wrong with that"

Why the rush ?

There is a limit to how much time you will save given the average size of a supermarket car park, you will still have to park miles away from the shop due to parent and child spaces etc.

The only way to get out of my bad books Zero would be if you were maintaining velocity for a ram raid attempt. :o)
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Old Navy
Those who think an indicator gives them absolute priority.
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Stuu
Those who are clearly making progress at illegal speeds who come flying up behind you expecting you to make way like the red sea - get lost mate, I dont care for your intimidating road positioning, ive been driving long enough to be unaffected by your posturing so just pass safely and stop being a child.
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - WillDeBeest
1. Pull into a gap in front of me that's closing but manageably, then brake hard forcing me to do the same. Happens more days than not in the 40mph section of the A404(M). Crude ignorance and discourtesy; probably not much to be done.

2. Follow so closely in a car park that when I stop to reverse into a space, I find the other car's nose between my rear end and where it needs to go. (Similar to what BBD describes in a queue.) Anyone got an effective way of indicating to this type that this is what I intend to do? A flashing indicator might be misleading, since I go left first to reverse into a space on the right. Hand signal??
>> Follow so closely in a car park

Haha! This is a pain when it happens. Stop before the space is my tactic (indicating intention before braking obviously). The numpty perched on the bootlid normally then understands what you're about to do (pass the space to reverse in) and doesn't follow you over (or even better, just overtakes).
I stop short of the parking spot and faf about making a great display of inspecting the area of the manoeuvre before moving. It occasionally activates the brain dead.

>> 2. Follow so closely in a car park that when I stop to reverse into
>> a space, I find the other car's nose between my rear end and where it
>> needs to go. (Similar to what BBD describes in a queue.) Anyone got an effective
>> way of indicating to this type that this is what I intend to do?

Easy that one, you just reverse ever so slowly into them untill they get out of the way.
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Cliff Pope
>> Anyone got an effective
>> way of indicating to this type that this is what I intend to do? A
>> flashing indicator might be misleading, since I go left first to reverse into a space
>> on the right. Hand signal??
>>

A manually-operated reversing light, so that you can indicate an intention to reverse, in exactly the same way as an indicator shows a future intention.
>> A manually-operated reversing light, so that you can indicate an intention to reverse, in exactly
>> the same way as an indicator shows a future intention.
>>

And you expect that to register with the brain dead?
>> >> A manually-operated reversing light, so that you can indicate an intention to reverse, in
>> exactly
>> >> the same way as an indicator shows a future intention.
>> >>
>>
>> And you expect that to register with the brain dead?
>>

It might. If the car ahead of me suddenly puts on its reversing lights I usually start getting worried.
>> It might. If the car ahead of me suddenly puts on its reversing lights I
>> usually start getting worried.
>>

Congratulations, you are not brain dead! :)
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - CGNorwich
"Slow down and speed up when I'm driving on cruise – Makes me want to ram them."

Which is why CC is completely pointless and potentially dangerous in anything other than a near empty motorway
"Which is why CC is completely pointless and potentially dangerous"

I've never been in any danger and I use it as often as possible, from villages, to dual carriageways to motorways.
Agree about Cruise

Im travelling down to Cadwell Park on Sunday morning leaving Darlington at about 5am - there is noone about and I have/will use my Cruise controll all the way down, only switching it off on the junction between the A1, and the M62 (IIRC).

Traveling back at about 6pm its usually too busy to use it, becasue inevtibly as soon as I put it on, I have to switch it back off again. but like BBD I have use it succesfully on other types of road and still do with no problems
>> "Slow down and speed up when I'm driving on cruise – Makes me want to
>> ram them."
>>
>> Which is why CC is completely pointless and potentially dangerous in anything other than a
>> near empty motorway
>>

Rubbish CC does not remove your resposibility to maintain a safe distance, easily done with the CC switches and a bit of anticipation. I'm with BBD.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 9 Sep 10 at 11:43
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Fursty Ferret
People who make lane changes on motorways without signalling. It's a small sign of courtesy before you swing out in front of me.

Drivers who come charging up behind me at clearly illegal speeds (if I've got an indicated 85 / GPS 77, they're doing in excess of 100) and then sit inches off my bumper while I finish the overtake. No, I damn well won't speed up so you can get past. Then, as you do pull in, they accelerate hard and shoot past while you're still partly in the lane.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 10 Sep 10 at 01:18
People who only let you out of a supermarket car park space because they want the space themselves.

(I'm psychic by the way, so I know they wouldn't give way otherwise.)

I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Ted

Creative driving...all of your complaints.

When I've just got back to the car in a supermarket space or similar, someone sees you get in the car and gives a toot of 'I want to be in there ' , before you've got ready to move out.

I ignore them, but I switch the ignition on an select R so the reverse light come on.
Then I'll sit and relax until they move past in frustration. If he comes and bangs on the window...red rag, etc.....I say I'm waiting for someone. Then I'll move out when he's gone past and can't get back !
Don't like being tooted at.

Childish, undoubtably...........entertaining......hugely ! I commend it to the house.

Had another earlier today. I'm the only car in my direction. He's the only car in his directioo, towards me. He's sat on the line waiting to turn right.........he waits 'til I'm about 20ft away and goes, causing me to slap 'em on !
Saves himself a good three seconds of waiting at the risk of being T Boned.

Ted
>> Had another earlier today. I'm the only car in my direction. He's the only car
>> in his directioo, towards me. He's sat on the line waiting to turn right.........he waits
>> 'til I'm about 20ft away and goes, causing me to slap 'em on !

That was me, becuase you wouldnt let me in the space int he car park.

I thought there was something familiar about his rude, inconsederate action, Z.

Ted
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - movilogo
I hate those drivers who can't (or don't want to) park properly!

I hate those drivers who never bother to indicate at roundabouts (or forgotten indicators exist).

>> Slow down and speed up when I'm driving on cruise

In some cars, you can increase/decrease CC speed while driving - just via steering controller, without pressing any of the pedals
"In some cars, you can increase/decrease CC speed while driving - just via steering controller, without pressing any of the pedals"

Yeah, I do that, but it does require some effort.
Dave I agree its annoying, and it annoys me, but at the end of the day, you dont have a god given right to proceed at exactly the speed you want all the time. You have to adjust.
"you dont have a god given right to proceed at exactly the speed you want all the time."

I never argued that point but if there was a god, (which there isn't) he clearly doesn't use cruise control or he'd damned well do something about it.
>> but if there was a god, (which there isn't) he
>> clearly doesn't use cruise control or he'd damned well do something about it.
>>

I think he created the world once while bored, and then left it running on cruise control. It's since run into all sorts of trouble.
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - idle_chatterer
I remember when I first got a car with cruise control (in 1997) it was a novelty and most cars didn't have it, I think it's a far more common fitment now but still find that many drivers are incapable of keeping a constant speed on motorways and suspect that many don't use their CC - perhaps because they find it too hard to adjust their speed when using it ?
>> Yeah, I do that, but it does require some effort.

=:-o

Looks like you need a chauffeur :o)
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - smokie
Agree with BBD on this one - Overtake me and then slow down.
People who brake for average speed cameras. (Thats just amusing).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 9 Sep 10 at 12:10
>> People who brake for average speed cameras.
>>

and make me have to adjust my cruise control in the proccess. ;-)
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Pat
I think you all need to chill out a bit:)

And what are all you blokes doing in supermarket car parks?

Haven't you heard of the excellent home delivery service?

Pat
>> Haven't you heard of the excellent home delivery service?

Have to be at home during delivery time slot.
Will miss out reduced priced items in stores.
More expensive unless you do whole weekly shopping in just one go.

I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - tyro
>> Haven't you heard of the excellent home delivery service?

To my postcode? Hah!
>> And what are all you blokes doing in supermarket car parks?
>>

Most of the time I spend in supermarket carparks is spent trying to avoid women attempting to reverse park 4x4's. :)

And then wondering why they can't get their shopping trolley to the back of their car.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 9 Sep 10 at 13:19
I personally wish that other drivers wouldn't:-

1) drive so as to make it difficult for drivers behind to overtake. (I.e. if the road isn't quite straight, so that following drivers cannot see far enough to overtake, drive at 40 mph. When an empty straight stretch appears, accelerate rapidly to 65 mph.)

(Dunno how many times I posted that moan in the Back Room over the years!)

2) indicate by use of hand, finger or head movements that they don't care for other people's driving style. This is a favourite activity of mimsers who are inclined to think that everybody else is driving too quickly. Another variant is the practice of flashing one's headlights at someone who overtakes when there is an oncoming vehicle less than a mile away.
People who are never overtaken.

i.e. they spend all their time in the outside lane even though forward progress is blocked and the left is clear to return to.
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - borasport
Waiting to enter a roundabout and there is a stream of traffic approaching from your right..... all of which inevitably turns down the road you are coming out of, but without signalling
"Waiting to enter a roundabout and there is a stream of traffic approaching from your right..... all of which inevitably turns down the road you are coming out of, but without signalling"

Personally, I think that failure to signal in such circumstances is bad driving, and as such, not what this thread is really about. And the same could be said for many of the posts here. But I realise that there is a fine line between what is bad, and what is merely irritating.
Last edited by: tyro on Thu 9 Sep 10 at 12:26
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Old Sock
Drivers who seem incapable of holding a conversation without looking at their passenger(s).

Those fractions of a second 'lost' can make all the difference in reacting to danger.

TV presenters seem quite prone to it, I notice.
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - TheManWithNoName
People who return to their car having paid for fuel only to sit there and
1) Open their sandwich/drink/bag of crisps
2) light a fag and glance at the sports pages of the daily red top rag they just bought
3) rummage in their cavernous handbag for the lippy (mostly women, that one!)
4) check all their incoming texts and missed calls for the past 2 hours

GET A FLIPPIN' MOVE ON, I WANT TO FILL UP AND CONTINUE MY JOURNEY!!!
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Snakey
People who tailgate me when I'm in the outside lane, doing at least the legal limit but in a long queue of cars overtaking a slow moving vehicle.

Why tailgate when you can see the line of cars off into the horizon (in both lanes!)!
Given that the HC urges us to drive with patience and courtesy, and that even the most minor of these peeves demonstrates the lack of at least one of those, it's hard to argue that any of them doesn't constitute bad driving.

Incidentally, there's a certain word beginning with T that Mrs Beest doesn't like me to use, but how do you drive any distance in traffic without it?
};---)
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - crocks
Is that similar to the W word I use?
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Jacks
What a grumpy lot we are!

This happens to me a lot

Driving up the hill out of our village there is a right turn that leads to the M5.

There is usually a long queue of vehicles that have come from the M5 wanting to exit this road and turn right (away from the direction of our village)

If I'm approaching this turn and wanting to turn right myself I try to let out a few vehicles to ease the traffic flow

I drive up the hill (it's a single carriageway) - indicating right and if there is no oncoming traffic I flash in good time to indicate to the driver at the head of the queue that I'm giving way. HGV's, White Van Men, Taxis, and sales reps "get it" and pull out smartly.

But - too late I realise it's a Mummy in the 4x4, she hasn't seen me flash (or has she?)
so flash again, try to make eye contact and give a "after you" hand gesture.

Still nothing

I'm almost level with her bonnet - do I stop or keep going?

Safety first - I stop (annoying everybody behind me now)

I toot and hand signal again Ah Eureka! she realises I'm letting her out and out she pulls - no she doesn't - she stops halfway accross theroad as she has seen someone coming from the opposite direction 500 yards away in the distance.

How come she sees a car 500 yards away but didn't see me flashing and waving 4 car lengths away?

Jacks
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - TheManWithNoName
I hate the driver who sits on my bumper and I signal in plenty of time to turn left or right but when the following car drives past the driver turns their head and looks at you as if to say 'What do you think you're doing, turning in front of me and making me slow down!'
I shall have to post in a minute..........

I'm sitting on my hands so I can't type through all this thread.......

I've tried to chill out.........

All the other lorry drivers are at work and I owe it to them to post about what irritates us...........don't I?

Please tell me I can.......

Pat
We're all ears, Pat.
>> Please tell me I can.......
>>
>> Pat
>>

Go for it Pat, us car drivers haven't been told off for ages.
>> Please tell me I can.......
>>
>> Pat

Of course you can, as long as you can cope wih stuff coming back.
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Bromptonaut
>> I hate the driver who sits on my bumper and I signal in plenty of
>> time to turn left or right but when the following car drives past the driver
>> turns their head and looks at you as if to say 'What do you think
>> you're doing, turning in front of me and making me slow down!'

Yep that's the one!! Regularly have to leave the A5 just south of Weedon onto a very narrow country lane. Amazing how often the well signalled turn into the well signed road seems to be an afront.
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Badwolf
>> But - too late I realise it's a Mummy in the 4x4, she hasn't seen
>> me flash (or has she?)

>> How come she sees a car 500 yards away but didn't see me flashing and
>> waving 4 car lengths away?

If I'm in a position to let a car out of a junction and I realise in time that it's being driven by the type of driver you describe, I just don't bother. Sometimes I think that they're waiting for a written invitation...
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - FotheringtonTomas
>> Any other examples?

People who think that they're a much better driver than average, when they're probably just about average.

People who retaliate to minor errors.
"People who retaliate to minor errors."

Residents of new towns seem particularly fond of this behaviour.

They know where they are going in their 40/50mph limit dual carriageway and roundabout inflicted little town but God help you if you don't. (The residents of Peterborough and Cumbernauld spring to mind)

I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - BobbyG
People who use filter lanes to go straight on when they perfectly well know that they are left or right turn.

Women drivers in soft top cars with roof down showing some cleavage, just enough to distract you, but not enough to have made it worthwhile!!! :)

No thought for others, Zhukki. I remember being mercilessly tailgated along a winding, unlit single carriageway A road between Euxton and somewhere.
Pitch black, I was looking for an address and he was trying to push me with full beam on.

Went past on the first straight bit giving me 10 seconds of horn. Something fast and sporty.
Probably does the journey every day in both directions.
He'll be in the same position one day.

Ted
Ted I remember a few years ago my sister's friend was a Paramedic and used to driving in the back roads of West Lothian at some speed.

One day he was in his own car making good progress when there was a boy racer came racing up behind in a souped up Nova. Lights flashing etc trying to get him to pull over to let him pass.

Paramedic boy maintained his decent speed and knew exactly how fast he could take the right bend ahead. Boy racer didn't.

Justice, Robert.
I've been tempted to slow down as though I'm about to cut out...at a point they can't get past.
No brakes, just let it glide to a halt with hazards on.
Never tried it, could be a good jape. then set off when they get out to shout at you !

Ted
Making a return journey, having passed in the opposite direction a few minutes earlier and seeing a camera van, a boy racer tried it on with me. I moved over promptly and let him accelerate to way beyond the speed limit on the approach to the camera van. I do hope it was not donut break time in the van. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 9 Sep 10 at 16:16
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - FotheringtonTomas
>> I've been tempted to slow down as though I'm about to cut out...at a point
>> they can't get past (snip) then set off when they get out
>> to shout at you !

Pah. I know a place with two mini-roundabouts (but with chevrons on poles in them - so just small normal roundabouts, I suppose). 3 lanes approach one of these - RH for right turn at 1st., LH for left turn at 1st. *and* straight ahead at 1st., middle for straight ahead at 1st. Two lanes between the roundabouts. People come in on the RH lane, and go right around, to queue-jump. What happens if you "stall" in front of someone who's done just this? Heh!
And another thing...

People who don't say thanks when I stop in a residential street to let them pass a few parked cars.

Older drivers - who should know better - are just as rude and ignorant as younger ones in this respect.

PS: Come on Pat, let's hear a few of the truckers' gripes, not that I would knowingly annoy a lorry driver 'cos his vehicle's a bit bigger than mine.

Just serving dinner but it will be tomorrow mornings project, before you all get up:)

Pat
 Mimsers on Dual Carriageways and M Ways - Perky Penguin
There are some people driving around who I can't see why they bother to go on the above roads. I was on a dualled section of the A1 and overtook a car transporter with 8 BMWs on it and then an old(ish) Focus. As I pulled in and looked in my mirrors I saw the car transporter pulling out to overtake it as well! People really should try to make good progress within the law IMO
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Dulwich Estate
The place: A3 entering Greater London around Claygate.

The scene: Three lanes reducing to two lanes in 750 yards. I and most sensible drivers gently pull in to lanes one and two before the hatched markings in lane 3.

Then you get the smart r says who scream down the right hand side and think they have some God given right to force their way into lane two.

I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Dulwich Estate
Those who are forever lane hopping on the Northbound Blackwall Tunnel approach as 3 lanes become 2.

You've noticed a trend here!
the residents of claygate would not be pleased to hear of themselves as "entering greater london" worse, being mixed up for chessington.....
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - Dave_
Drivers visiting Leicestershire who fail to take account of the eccentric lane markings on roundabouts.

A lot of approaches to roundabouts around here are marked up in an unconventional manner - left lane to turn left, right lane to go straight ahead, which spirals out around the roundabout as you go along. I'm prepared for drivers to straight-line them now, but it still creates a hair-raising moment as you're not sure where they're going. And frequently on exiting the roundabout there will be two motorists stopped in lane 1 exchanging details following a side-swipe...
Here goes then:)

When I'm on a 7 mile stretch of dual carriageway, I hate the cars who try and overtake me on the ONLY roundabout in the middle of it getting under the trailer wheels because there isn't room.

When I'm reversing off a road into a yard and am across both lanes watching the trailer on the gatepost, I hate the cars who decide they can squeeze past my front bumper because they don't realise that gap will get narrower when I take my lock off ( while still having to watch the gatepost).

I get angry at cars who approach a roundabout in the outside lane but then go straight across it straddling both lanes.

Those who sit in a side road waiting to get out, while I sit flashing then to come out because I need them to move before I can turn in.........they look at me as though I'm stupid!

But most of all, those who approach a roundabout from my right a Mach 10 speed just as I get rolling, and make a big deal of doing an emergency stop at the side of my trailer with horn blasting and gestures waving.

Lack of indicators.......If cars don't use them, then I apologise if my crystal ball is less than accurate.

But all of the above complaints from both car and lorry drivers could be avoided, and are caused by just three things.

1) Lack of attention
2) Lack of consideration
3) Lack of patience.

And remember, we're ALL guilty of them because every lorry driver is a car driver too.

Think I may have to go out for the day now!

Pat
Pat, damn you !
Can't disagree with any of that

>>But all of the above complaints from both car and lorry drivers could be avoided, and are caused by just three things.

1) Lack of attention
2) Lack of consideration
3) Lack of patience.

Hit the nail on the head!

A lot of what pat says is caused by car drivers who really dont appreciate the dynamics and space that lorries use. Like the "inside on roundabouts" I frequently hold up traffic behind me to allow the lorry trailer to straighten the bend - not just to aid the lorry driver but to prevent some stupid eejit ending up as another set of axles under the trailer. Its me that holds back traffic 20 yards from the tight t junction to allow the lorry driver to use both side of the road to get the trailer round the corner without taking off the post box on the corner.

However - its also me that gets held up by elephant racing lorries. I am sorry the "you dont know how hard it is to keep up momentum" does not wash with me. I dont care that it takes another 5 miles to build up the extra 2MPH again . Its not my fault that drivers working hours and transport managers schedules are so tight. I really get annoyed when I am bowling down the A14 at 80 mph only for a lorry to decide to hault out into the outside lane to overtake causing me to loose 30mph of progress in the space of about 15 yards, and suffer it for the next 5 miles.

Yes I throw my abuse and ire at the trucker as I pass. I shouldnt, the root cause is not his, the root cause is roads. Did you know (Pat probably does) 40% of the UK's import and exports comes through the port of Felixstowe? All of that has to travel down that shocking travesty of a major link called the A14. Over half of it ends up at the Catforth interchange.

That place really winds me up. If I could find the designer of that interchange I would cut his testicals off with a chisel and feed them to his cat. And I hope his cat dies of food poisoning.

There, Its not drivers or truckers that wind me up. Its the A14 and the catforth interchange.

Morning rant over.

A Zero, the beloved Catthorpe interchange. The interface with the A14 was not designed at all, just dumped there using minimal infrastructre.

The scandal now is that they've started work on replacing the M1/M6 viaduct as the old one's falling to bits. But this is an entirely seperate programme to the junction's being enhanced.
>>But most of all, those who approach a roundabout from my right a Mach 10 speed just as I get rolling, and >>make a big deal of doing an emergency stop at the side of my trailer with horn blasting and gestures waving.

I can see where you're coming from Pat. But there is another version where the driver sees a car coming round from 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock but pulls out anyway. Sandy Lane roundabout on the A4500 between M1/J16 and Northampton is a regular site for this.

The master practitioners are a national logisitics company, currently being absorbed into an even bigger French outfit!!!
Aah yes, Nobby Dressingtable:)

Pat
They'll be gunning for willie next.
>> They'll be gunning for willie next.

Taking Betz on that??
>> Went past on the first straight bit giving me 10 seconds of horn. Something fast
>> and sporty.
>> Probably does the journey every day in both directions.

Sorry about that Ted. I'd had a bad day... ;-)
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - L'escargot
Why do some drivers sound their horn, usually after the event, purely to demonstrate their disapproval? All it does is increase sound pollution, and, to a small extent, increase greenhouse gas pollution by ultimately using more fuel.
Cos it makes them feel better and helps get rid of some tension and road rage?
And it gets the message across that one is displeased with the other!!
L'es: "Why do some drivers sound their horn, usually after the event, purely to demonstrate their disapproval? ..."

BobbyG: "Cos it makes them feel better and helps get rid of some tension and road rage?
And it gets the message across that one is displeased with the other!!"

And that is one thing that really irritates me: drivers who feel obliged to show that they are displeased. This country needs more stoicism. What ever happened to the stiff upper lip?
>> L'es: "Why do some drivers sound their horn, usually after the event, purely to demonstrate
>> their disapproval? ..."

>> And that is one thing that really irritates me: drivers who feel obliged to show
>> that they are displeased. This country needs more stoicism. What ever happened to the stiff
>> upper lip?

In the old days when on my huge black charger, I would have whipped you to within an inch of your life with my riding crop.

Be thankful I only have a car horn.
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - commerdriver
>> In the old days when on my huge black charger....

Back to laptop batteries & accessories then?
"In the old days ... I would have whipped you to within an inch of your life with my riding crop."

Road rage just ain't what it used to be.
"In the old days ... I would have whipped you to within an inch of your life with my riding crop."

p.s. For some reason, my mental picture of RF now looks somewhat like John Cleese.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc
Yeah, thats fair.
>> All it does is increase sound pollution, and, to a small extent, increase greenhouse
>> gas pollution by ultimately using more fuel.
>>

Oh come on, you will be telling us that aircon costs more to run than your cars depreciation next. :)
"Why do some drivers sound their horn, usually after the event, purely to demonstrate their
disapproval? "

You suffer this a lot do you? hmmmm, I'll give it some thought.
>>That place really winds me up. If I could find the designer of that interchange I would cut his testicals off with a chisel and feed them to his cat. And I hope his cat dies of food poisoning. <<

There can't be many of us on here who haven't sat in the queue for Catthorpe and not had similar thoughts:)

Pat
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - crocks
>> If I could find the designer of that interchange I would cut his testicals off with a chisel and feed them to his cat.

Maybe it was designed by a woman. :-)
Bus drivers who signal right to come out from bus stop when it is patently obvious that they have no intentions of doing so at that stage. Thats why I never let a bus out unless I see a wheel turned or some forward movement.
Can't say I've ever noticed that behaviour, Bobby - and I generally do let buses out. Perhaps that's why the drivers seem almost pathetically grateful when I do.
Nor me, If you've ever sat on a bus behind the driver you will no how many inconsiderate motorists there are out there. I visited Vancouver this summer and there it now an offense not to let a buses out. As as a result they l simply swing into the traffic and not sit there indicating and waiting for someone to let them out.
One or two bus drivers around here stop on roundabouts to let fellow bus drivers join from the next exit

I wish they wouldn't do that, it risks a rear end shunt.

Or if you are in the other lane, you find yourself overtaking a now stopped bus and on a collision course with the bus joining the roundabout.

That sounds like a report to the Traffic Commisioner required
Sounds like a fussy citizen faffing to me. Everyone who drives is on a collision course with something more or less all the time.

That's what the controls of the vehicle are for. It isn't a train.
...Sounds like a fussy citizen faffing to me...

If you are trundling around the outside lane of a roundabout, minding your own business, you don't expect a bus to come at you from the nearside.

But hey, I'll just put 'fussy citizen faffing' on the insurance claim form, and I'm sure all will be well.

>> If you are trundling around the outside lane of a roundabout, minding your own business, you don't expect a bus to come at you from the nearside.

You shouldn't be trundling. You certainly shouldn't be 'minding your own business'. And when you pass out of the shelter of a bus that has (I agree, annoyingly and arrogantly but that's life) stopped in the carriageway, you are completely incompetent if you don't cast a lazy eye sideways to see what's coming at you across its bows.
...you are completely incompetent if you don't cast a lazy eye sideways to see what's coming at you across its bows...

Well, one does cast a lazy eye as you describe, but it's still not much help if the damn thing clouts you, is it?

I say that, at other times I probably am incompetent - find it harder and harder to maintain concentration these days.

I think the one thing that *REALLY* annoys me about other drivers is when they refuse to take responsibility for something stupid that they have done.

The other day I was driving along at slightly below the 30mph speed limit, approaching a crossroads. There was nothing behind me and as I got very close to the crossroads, the vehicle waiting on the right hand side just pulled out in front of me to go the same way as me. I had to jab on the brakes to avoid a collision and sounded the horn as this was a genuine 'warn another road user of my presence' situation. The other driver had looked down the road in my direction but still chosen to pull out directly in front of me. He then took exception to me sounding the horn and slammed on his brakes in front of me forcing me to do likewise to avoid a rear-end collision which would have been my fault. He then drove off at well below the speed limit, obviously to hack me off. As I turned off a little further up the road, I flashed my lights at him (yes, yes, I know, but I did get quite annoyed by his behaviour) and he slammed on his brakes again - no idea what that was supposed to achieve. Why on earth do people behave like this? He was clearly in the wrong so why not just accept this and give a wave of apology, and move on?

I can easily see how people like this can provoke other drivers into serious cases of road rage.
>> I can easily see how people like this can provoke other drivers into serious cases
>> of road rage.
>>

And one day you will bite and be confronted by someone with a knife or baseball bat. I don't care how bad a wolf you are there are worse out there.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 13 Sep 10 at 16:36
>> confronted by someone with a knife or baseball bat. I don't care how bad a wolf you are there are worse out there.

Surely you have retained your standard-issue cutlass for just such eventualities ON?

I am surprised by the timidity of your tone after a life of boarding over the poop and hanging pirates from the yardarm.
When you have many years of experience in the armed forces the last thing you need is more hassle in retirement. Anyway the MOD take a dim view of you retaining cutlasses and cannons on retirement, they are a bit skint at the moment and need the funding for their staff expenses.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 13 Sep 10 at 17:04
>> And one day you will bite and be confronted by someone with a knife or
>> baseball bat. I don't care how bad a wolf you are there are worse out
>> there.

There certainly are. I do try my very hardest not to bite and so far have been successful. And I'm not a bad wolf at all, I'm a pussy cat but I didn't think that that was a very becoming forum name... :-)

>>You can understand why they do it but you can't help wishing they wouldn't

Well put, AC. I genuinely think that this goon I encountered the other day wanted me to get out of my car and 'have it out' with him. Not something that I'd be willing to do at the best of times, but on the mornng of the church service to bless our recent civil marriage ceremony would perhaps be classed as 'foolish'... Not sure that Mrs B would have appreciated me having black eyes on the photos!
 I wish other drivers wouldn't do that - R.P.
me having black eyes

One off the driver and the other off the Mrs for having one in the first place !

How did it go in the end ??
Very well thanks PU. It was worth every last bit of my own discomfort to see how happy it made Mrs B. You can't buy that...
>> I can easily see how people like this can provoke other drivers into serious cases of road rage.

They do, Badwolf, they do. I remember a case from the sixties or seventies in which some chav, or whatever they called them then, stabbed an elderly, aggressively mimsing black cab driver - there used to be more of them in those days - with a screwdriver and did him serious, perhaps fatal, damage.

You can understand why they do it but you can't help wishing they wouldn't.
Latest Forum Posts