Motoring Discussion > BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments Miscellaneous
Thread Author: idle_chatterer Replies: 47

BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - idle_chatterer
I had a mid life crisis and chose a car that seems to elicit strong feeling in others, not always positive and perhaps deserved judging by the way I've seen BMWs driven but hope not to have emulated.

I'm off on assignment abroad so won't have a car for a couple of years, this is a major change since I cannot recall being without one for 23 years. In a fit of self-indulgence I thought I right a eulogy to this car, not something I've ever been tempted to do before - especially on a company car.

Firstly the facts, 0-62mph in 6.2s, a claimed 47mpg average and I think I've managed about 46mpg overall so no complaints there, never had to top up the oil and it didn't request its first oil change until 22,000 miles. This engine is simply too good to be true, more refined than many petrols and effortlessly quick whilst always delivering good fuel economy (I never got less than 41mpg on a tank-full in 23K miles).

Then there are the other elements which nay-sayers suggest BMW drivers don't notice, the RWD chassis is superb, on SE spec suspension and 225 x 17 runflats the ride is firm but not harsh and the handling is in a different league to my previous A4 B7 which felt ponderous and nose heavy. It was no-worse (and possibly better) in the snow too.

I opted for manual to keep CO2 down, generally this was a good choice, with nearly 389lbft of torque you don't have to change gear much and can 'block change' 2-4-6 if you like. The gearchange does take some effort sometimes but given the power and torque its handling this isn't much of a criticism. If I'd gone for auto I'd have probably opted for the 335d but the CO2 emissions are much higher and (on paper) it wasn't much faster (having an older engine design at the time).

Nothing has gone wrong with the car, I was disappointed by the first service because literally all they did was to change the oil and give it a half-hearted wash, if I were paying the service bill directly I guess I might have been happy as this was not an expensive item (unlike my previous Audi), I suspect the service required on its second birthday might be a little more pricey.

I specced the electrically deployed tow-bar and this made a smallish car very practical. The boot is small but the opening hatch window makes it a useful hold-all. Space inside is decent enough though.

All in all, a great car, the only company car I've wanted to buy at the end of its lease, but circumstances mean I'll not be doing that now.

Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 7 Sep 10 at 17:23
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d Touring, 245PS - final comments - R.P.
Probably the best diesel engine in production, in one of the best handling chassis in its class. SOme people can't see beyond the badge though. No doubt that someone will be along in a moment to say that some dreadful 1.5 litre French oil-burner is superior in every way ! :-)
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d Touring, 245PS - final comments - Skoda
It's rare (but not impossible given recent reliability issues) to find a reasoned criticism of the BMW bread and butter models.

Nice motors. Best of breed.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - Bagpuss
Brilliant car the E91, especially with a six cylinder engine. Nothing else around to match the handling and overall agility of a rwd BMW, even though it means compromises in terms of interior space with the engine pushed so far back and the boot full of multilink suspension. Only thing I can recall driving that I thought matched it was the Lexus IS, the original one not the terminally dull present model.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - legacylad
After my initial disappointment that I could not buy an MX5, I am delighted with my '04 330ci convertible. The interior is as new, with absolutely no squeaks or rattles, mpg averaging around 32, and the ride on non run flat 225/40/18 Kumhos more than acceptable.
I shall probably change to a 330 (petrol) Touring when SWMBO eventually loses a company car and gets her own MX5.
I do my utmost to correct the balance by being extremely polite to other road users. Even more so than in my previously sign written white van, which was painted red!
My ex has a Lexus Sportcross (which I recommended she buy). Beaten in every aspect , apart from practicality, by the BM.
Highly recommended pieces of engineering.
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 7 Sep 10 at 19:11
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - Perky Penguin
How is/was it in the snow, if you have ever tried and on ordinary tyres? Not knocking BMWs btw, I had a very old 3.0si 1976ish and a 325i 1990is which was a bit tail happy on damp roundabouts! I am only asking because a colleague had to buy 4 snow tyres to move his newish Jaguar off his drive, in December 09!!!
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - Skoda
>> How is/was it in the snow

I am packing a tow rope this year & camera.

Not to tow me out, but to record all the cars, vans and 4x4s i will rescue with my RWD, appropriately shod BMW!

So there :-P
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - Zero
the cars are great, pity about the majority of drivers.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - MD
>> I am only asking because a colleague had to buy 4 snow tyres to move his newish Jaguar off his drive in December 09!!!
>>
'S' Type perchance??
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - corax
>>All in all, a great car

The E91 is I think one of the best 3 series so far. It has none of the problems of the E46 which was a rehashed version of the E36, and so inherited the usual frequent trailing arm bush replacements, front wishbones, fragmented instrument displays e.t.c. It has no nicasil bore issues, and they seem to have sorted out the problems with the 2.0 diesel engines that the E46's suffered from.

A friend of mine has an E91 2.0D Touring and even the hinges for the tailgate make me laugh. They're more suited for a bank vault door, they're massive. It really is a car that's been built to last.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - DP
>> >>All in all, a great car
>>
>> The E91 is I think one of the best 3 series so far. It has
>> none of the problems of the E46 which was a rehashed version of the E36,
>> and so inherited the usual frequent trailing arm bush replacements, front wishbones, fragmented instrument displays
>> e.t.c. It has no nicasil bore issues, and they seem to have sorted out the
>> problems with the 2.0 diesel engines that the E46's suffered from.

I love BMWs, but the early E91s weren't without their issues either. My brother in law had a 2006 (pre-ED) 320d M-Sport with a six speed manual box, and it was a living nightmare. By the time it had 30k under its belt, it had racked up two DMF failures, a complete gearbox failure, and had ongoing issues with ESP and other warning lights randomly coming on and was still going in and out of limp mode periodically. This was a well cared for, considerately driven car with a full BMW history and supplied as an Approved Used car by a BMW dealer.
I wouldn't for one minute suggest that they are all like this, and this one was clearly a pup, but it got so bad he ended up negotiating a buy back price from the dealer after just 9 months. It wasn't even driving style to blame, given that his last car had a DMF and did 130k without a single issue.
I do agree that the drive of BMWs is superb, and the current engine range, particularly the diesels, post a combination of power, performance, economy and emissions figures that make everyone else's look a decade out of date. The idea of a super smooth, 240 bhp 3 litre six cylinder, 5 seater which can do 155 mph and 50 mpg (not at the same time of course) would have been laughable only a decade ago.
>> a complete gearbox failure

That's a surprise, maybe a bad batch/faulty internal component. Usually the manual gearboxes on the bigger engined BMW's are extremely strong, and you don't expect to be rebuilding them even at high mileage.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - Londoner
Lots of fair comments on this thread, and I don't want to argue against any of them. I own an E91, albeit only a 320d of course, and I freely admit that it has many good points. It's been totally reliable, and the dealer is great (much to my surprise).

And yet, and yet...I have never been taken with it. This is very strange, since I've been very fond of all of my previous cars (bar a 1980's Fiesta). It just seems to have too many flaws and irritations for such an expensive car.

I think the real point that I am trying to make is that even the highly-rated 3 series doesn't suit everyone. (And it doesn't make either me a plonker for not liking it)
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - Zero
>> just seems to have too many flaws and irritations for such an expensive car.

Like?
>> just seems to have too many flaws and irritations for such an expensive car.

>> Like?

OK, here is a few of the top of my head. (And Yes, I can name some very good points about the car as well)

- The firm ride (yes I know that some people find it OK. I think that it sucks.), and all the other issues surrounding Run-Flat tyres.
- Very poor practicality for an estate car. It has less space than its rivals and the boot is very awkwardly shaped, with the wheel arch intrusion and sloping rear roof.
- There is hardly any storage space for oddments in the cabin. The area under the front armrest is a good example. It is quite useful on Mercs. On the BM you might just get a bar of chocolate in it. :-)
- Condition Based Servicing. You spend far too many days at the dealers with this regime. For me it means taking a precious days annual leave every time.
- No spare wheel or space to store it
- The standard manual seat adjustment is fiddly beyond belief. Even when winning What Car group tests, this always gets mentioned by the reviewers.
- The Indicators are appalling. Far too sensitive and difficult to operate. (No jokes about BMW drivers not using them please)
- The sports seats are great, but my "standard" ones offer very poor lateral support so you have to try to hold yourself in place when driving through corners in a spirited manner.
- Too many essentials are still optional extras (e.g. folding rear headrests, so that you can see out of the back)
- The standard stereo is carp (seems to be a common gripe by owners)
- A purely personal opinion, but I think that the orange illumination is rubbish.
- For a few days each year you can't use the car because it is pants in the snow. Never mind the "winter tyres" solution - I never needed them with FWD, and who needs the extra expense?
- No 12v socket where the cigar lighter should be. Not very handy when I run out of charge on my portable satnav.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 8 Sep 10 at 01:35
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - Hard Cheese

Interesting, the 330d is an amazing performance/economy combo, better that the 335d which is as much as 20% less economical though very little quicker, particularly if the 330d is manual which is not an option on the 335d.

>>
>> Interesting, the 330d is an amazing performance/economy combo, better that the 335d which is as
>> much as 20% less economical though very little quicker, particularly if the 330d is manual
>> which is not an option on the 335d.
>>

That's precisely why I got this combination, possibly unpopular in the used market (unfairly imho) but I had to consider BIK tax, the 335d was actually exactly the same price to lease and cheaper than an auto 330d at the time but was significantly more expensive in terms of BIK for no (on paper) performance gain.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - commerdriver
Just to respond to this as well as the OP's post.
I now have just over 7500 miles on my 318dSE in 6 months.
As far as the OP goes, I couldn't justify the extra expense either in tax or private use charge that the 330 would have been. But having been in (and driven) a couple i have to agree with most of his comments.

Can't agree with most of Londoner's negative ones however, accept that many are a matter of personal opinion.
I like the ride on my 17inch runflats, didn't like the ride in the 330D I was in with optional 19 inch runflats.
I have a saloon which has a pretty good boot especially with the extra space under the floor where the spare isn't.
Agree on the oddment spacxe inside but most of that is solveable by being tidy. I find the front armrest ideal for an MP3 player in the USB slot and a blackberry connected to an in car charger.
Condition based servicing - for me that's looking like once a year, in my case that will mean either a courtesy car or work from home and have the car collected / returned.
Indicators no problem when you get used to them and better than the ones on my son's astra.
I have the sports seats which are very good but agreeing with Londoner, incredibly fiddly to adjust.
No spare wheel - knew it would not have one and accepted that - why moan?
Stereo is OK I IMHO. similarly the illumination.
Haven't driven it in snow yet but snow and RWD never frightened me years ago, don't see why it should do now.
12v socket in car could be handy but I have no use for it, I have built in satnav as part of a package deal.
I have in general been very pleased with the whole driving thing I find the car comfortable, adequately quick, especially for one that was not chosen for performance.
So far it has averaged 49 mpg overall with a best on a run of 59. I confidently expect to average way over 50 and regularly get over 60 once it is properly run in.

Mine is also a company car, so far don't regret the choice at all

Glad that you like the car. It does have some very good points, doesn't it?

>> I now have just over 7500 miles on my 318dSE in 6 months.
>> Condition based servicing - for me that's looking like once a year, in my case
>> that will mean either a courtesy car or work from home and have the car
>> collected / returned.
Once you get past 20k miles and your first major service, the CBS requests come thick and fast! 3 times in four months at one point! You are lucky to have the option of courtesy car etc (it eases the pain for you). I don't have that option so you will understand my frustration.

>> I have a saloon which has a pretty good boot especially with the extra space
>> under the floor where the spare isn't.
Good point. If you can live with the limitations of a saloon, then I guess that space won't be a problem.

>> Indicators no problem when you get used to them and better than the ones on
>> my son's astra.
Thats just it. Had the car four years and cannot get used to them! Never had this problem with anything on a car before in 30 years of driving.

>> Haven't driven it in snow yet but snow and RWD never frightened me years ago,
>> don't see why it should do now.
RWD never frightened me neither, till I got this car. Wait till you have had to cope with it in snow, THEN come back and comment on this subject.

>> 12v socket in car could be handy but I have no use for it, I
>> have built in satnav as part of a package deal.
Lucky you. It would be nice to have one though, for us lesser mortals, you will agree. :-)

>> I have in general been very pleased with the whole driving thing I find the
>> car comfortable, adequately quick, especially for one that was not chosen for performance.
Yes - class leading engines and handling, IMHO. We'll have to agree to differ on the "comfort" though.

>> Mine is also a company car, so far don't regret the choice at all
My compliments on another good point. I suppose that I would be a lot happier if mine were a company car as well.
>> >> Mine is also a company car, so far don't regret the choice at all
>> My compliments on another good point. I suppose that I would be a lot happier
>> if mine were a company car as well.

Oh well Londoner, look on the bright side, at least you'll have a raft of buyers out there waiting for it when the time comes to trade in or sell. 2.0d Touring- very desirable model.

>> I like the ride on my 17inch runflats

Absolutely agree, I don't understand the market's apparent desire for M-Sport bling (usually on de-badged low-powered variants I'd observe)..

>> Indicators no problem when you get used to them and better than the ones on
>> my son's astra.

They are programmable via the trip computer

>> I have the sports seats which are very good but agreeing with Londoner, incredibly fiddly
>> to adjust.

I have (had) standard seats but paid extra for electric lumbar adjustment, they were very comfortable but agree were fiddly to adjust

>> No spare wheel - knew it would not have one and accepted that - why
>> moan?

Agree it would be nice to have the option

>> Stereo is OK I IMHO. similarly the illumination.

I found the stereo on my face-lift model to be absolutely fine, on a par with the upgraded Bose system in my previous Audi in fact

>> Haven't driven it in snow yet but snow and RWD never frightened me years ago,
>> don't see why it should do now.

On SE spec tyres with a manual transmission mine was fine

>> 12v socket in car could be handy but I have no use for it, I
>> have built in satnav as part of a package deal.

I paid £45 extra for the storage pack, this came with 4x 12V sockets, should have been standard of course.

>> That's a surprise, maybe a bad batch/faulty internal component. Usually the manual gearboxes on the
>> bigger engined BMW's are extremely strong, and you don't expect to be rebuilding them even
>> at high mileage.

In fairness, I don't think this one was right when he bought the car. It was horribly stiff and notchy, particularly going between first and second, and had nothing like the "knife through butter" feel I remember from other BMWs I'd driven. On cold oil, it was downright obstinate. The dealer reckoned "they were all like that", and in fairness, googling suggests it is a pretty common complaint. However it got worse, then a clutch judder started creeping in. Eventually, he was unable to select any gears at all, and the car was towed in. The 'box was replaced, along with the DMF which was shot (all under warranty). The clutch was OK, but they suggested replacing it, and wanted him to pay. He managed to negotiate this FOC, but it took some doing. When he got the car back, the transmission was perfect.

The clutch judder returned six months later, which the dealer put down to the DMF failing again. This was on top of the other issues listed above. He didn't want to own it out of warranty, so arranged a favourable buy back price from the dealer.

This was a beautiful car, but this particular example was not representative of the kind of engineering quality BMW are (normally, deservedly) known for. The dealer was excellent however.
>>
>> A friend of mine has an E91 2.0D Touring and even the hinges for the
>> tailgate make me laugh. They're more suited for a bank vault door, they're massive. It
>> really is a car that's been built to last.
>>

That sort of engineering pervades the car, the trim isn't as nice as an Audi and I always chuckled at the washer fluid filler pipe which looked like a scaled down tumble dryer vent pipe. But if you look at (say) the suspension castings or the strut brace under the bonnet (on 330i/d and up) you can see where the money has been spent.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - J Bonington Jagworth
"never had to top up the oil and it didn't request its first oil change until 22,000 miles"

I hope that means you checked it! I wouldn't want to rely on an indicator on a new car, or on the minimal consumption necessary to ensure that there was enough left after 22k...
I think there are various things with BMWs that you either like or you don't, the styling being one thing.

The excellent handling is achieved at the cost of interior space, firm ride and (allegedly) traction. I have winter tyres for the cold time of year which allows me to sale smugly past the summer tyre equipped X5s and Range Rovers floundering in the snow. Oddly I find the runflat summer tyres result in better ride quality and less road noise than the non-runflat winter tyres.

I like the way the indicator stalk works, don't know why, it just appeals. It's certainly better than the similar setup in the Vectra and Astra.

The lack of 12V output at the front if you don't specify the smoking option is very annoying, but on mine there is a USB socket in the glovebox and another one (for the iPod) in the centre console. For some reason there are 2 x 12V sockets for the rear seat passengers and 1 in the boot.

I have the comfort seats which I think are brilliant but which some of my colleagues absolutely hate.

I think the i-Drive is easily the best Infotainment system at the moment, though as Pugugly here pointed out, it's awkward in a RHD car unless you're left handed.

My 5 Series requests services every 25,000km or so. That equates to every 6 months or so. My last 5 Series was the same. The dealer reckons between 20,000 and 30,000km is normal, anything less would appear to indicate that something is amiss. Most of our employees have 3 or 5 Series as company cars and I can't think of any faults experienced in the last couple of years despite the hammering some of them get. We lease them on a 3 year/150,000km basis and they are amazingly robust (unlike the E46).

Overall with the leasing rates on offer (in Germany), and assuming your priority is driving enjoyment rather than interior space, it's very difficult to find better cars than the 3 and 5 Series.
I wasn't going to comment on this thread again, but Bugpuss, yours is such a good post that I had to complement you on it. All your points are entirely reasonable, and well made.

It may surprise everyone, but I entirely agree with your conclusion:
"...assuming your priority is driving enjoyment rather than interior space, it's very difficult to find better cars than the 3 and 5 Series."

I don't actually like driving at all. My fascination with cars is because of all the engineering in them. My own priorities are reliability, style, comfort and practicality. A car can handle like a blancmange for all I care, so long as it is strong in these attributes.

I'd better go now before I get tarred and feathered for these remarks.

Last edited by: Londoner on Wed 8 Sep 10 at 21:55
Thanks for the compliment. You should buy a Lexus!
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - ....
>> Overall with the leasing rates on offer (in Germany), and assuming your priority is driving
>> enjoyment rather than interior space, it's very difficult to find better cars than the 3
>> and 5 Series.
>>
For a better car the phrase a horse is only as good as the jockey has never been more appropriate. Driven an '05 touring and '07 saloon 3 series and there is one junction in the UK I frequent often which shows up the shortfalls of this chassis. For anyone who knows the area, the junction from Kelso towards Coldstream. Off camber RWD really does not like this.
>> I hope that means you checked it! I wouldn't want to rely on an indicator
>> on a new car, or on the minimal consumption necessary to ensure that there was
>> enough left after 22k...
>>

Yes, I checked it regularly - mainly because I couldn't believe it wasn't using any, my previous A4 170PD drank oil at an alarming rate.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - Avant
Interesting thread, particularly to me as I'm not anti-BMW in the least, and love my Y-registered Z3. I so wanted to like the 320d Touring and had several good test runs from different dealers.

It was great to drive in terms of performance and handling, but I couldn't ever get comfortable and the gearchange was notchy and unpleasant ( Fans would call it 'meaty'.). And then I tried an Octavia vRS estate, £7,000 cheaper. Not in the same class you say. But hang on. Look at Londoner's points and compare.

Performance - similar.
Steering and handling - yes the BMW has the edge, but not by all that much.
No aches and pains from the seats.
The Octavia doesn't have run-flats - a point in its favour.
Mine has a spare wheel - now an extra but not an expensive one.
The Octavia has far more space for people and gubbins.
It has lots of cubby holes - more than I ever need, and the front door pockets were designed by a good drinking man and can fit a bottle of wine each side.
Servicing every 10,000 miles - simple.
White instrument lighting.
FWD - most Skodas are fine in the snow but the vRS needs winter tyres.
VAG seat adjustment and action of the indicators are both models of how it should be done - BMW's are quirky, unnecessarily so.
12V sockets at the front and in the boot.
Interior finish - not quite in the Audi class but very nearly so, and as good as a BMW.
So far (touching wood) totally reliable over 16,000 miles: I imagine a BMW would have been so as well.

BMWs suit lots of people, especially get-up-and-go drivers who strive to get the maximnum out of their cars at all times. Other makes suit more relaxed drivers, and paying £7,000 less for a car that is nearly as good in some areas, better in others, and (purely personally) I find better to drive....well, pretty conclusive for me, but I agree not necessarily for others.

I think a similar comparison could be made between a Superb Combi and a Mercedes C-class estate.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - rtj70
I'm not anti BMW (my wife refers to Merc drivers often as the Berk in the Merc though... I digress)... I quite fancy my next car to now be a 5 series BMW because it is fairly cheap for me. Admittedly I get to pay less if I opt for an efficient low CO2 emitting car.

I thought I'd like a 3-series in 1999 when I opted for a VW... I really didn't like the 3-series back then from an ergonomics perspective.

Sat in the new 5-series a couple of weeks ago and quite liked it, i-Drive and all. Then looked in a brand new 3-series and it looked cheap. I suppose it is in comparison.

But I am not sure I want rear-wheel drive. If an Audi A5 Sportback was as cheap as the BMW 5-series it would be a no brainer. I have a while to decide though... my car get replaced next October!
>>
>> But I am not sure I want rear-wheel drive. If an Audi A5 Sportback was
>> as cheap as the BMW 5-series it would be a no brainer. I have a
>> while to decide though... my car get replaced next October!
>>

If you want something with plenty of torque then you will notice the difference with RWD.
>> FWD - most Skodas are fine in the snow but the VRS needs winter tyres.

I presume you're talking about the diesel, which dishes up too much torque on snowy roads. With the petrol model you just need to be light footed.

Has the Skoda got independent temp for footwells and face level vents? I find this very useful on a long journey as my feet tend to get cold, so I can dial in some heat but keep the cold air through the face level vents to remain alert. Most cars only go cold or hot through all the vents. BMW and Mercedes and some Audis have this feature, I'm not sure many other makes have. It used to be more common, but seems to have died out on many cars.

>> No aches and pains from the seats

This is a very personal thing. It just depends what body shape you are, although I admit that some seats are very badly designed for support. I have sports seats, which are good, although it's best if you're not wearing a bulky coat.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - Skoda
>> Has the Skoda got independent temp for footwells and face level vents?

Kind of, but not as simple as the BMW, although you can mimic it for the skoda driver.

If you select Dual (which splits the temperature controls passenger / driver) then dial in warm to feet on drivers side, close the drivers vent closest to the door (which would be warm air). Dial in cold on the passenger side and point the passenger side centre vent at yourself.

You'll get cold in the face and hot in the feet. Any passenger would be an icicle within 20 miles unfortunately.

It's also missing the winter function of the MAX aircon button, in BMW above 16 degrees ambient this is max aircon, below 4 degrees this allows you to scavenge heat from a switched off engine (i.e. fans will run with the engine off).

EDIT: the biggest use of which is to hit the button before you step out the car, prevents it getting cold for ~20 mins then shuts off. Great for nipping into the shops when it's cold out.
Last edited by: Skoda on Thu 9 Sep 10 at 20:09
>>You'll get cold in the face and hot in the feet.

Thats a good tip Skoda, I'll remember that when I buy a car with a less flexible system and I've got no passengers!
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - Avant
"I presume you're talking about the diesel, which dishes up too much torque on snowy roads. With the petrol model you just need to be light footed."

Possibly although the four cars before the current vRS have been diesels and have been very sure-footed in the snow. I'd put more blame on the low-profile tyres on the vRS: I suspect other Octavias have less of a problem.
Our Golf diesel was fantastic last winter, despite its 310NM of torque which is delivered with all the progression of a wrecking ball. I put it down to the following:

Narrowish, flexible (195/65) tyres

A dirty great lump of pig iron sitting over the driven wheels. That nose heavy balance which annoys me on twisty roads actually worked in its favour.

An engine tractable enough, and a clutch progressive enough to allow perfectly happy "tickover pullaways" without any gas at all.

By contrast, my old Volvo S60, an excellent car in most respects, and hailing from a part of the world which freezes solid for many months of the year, got completely stuck and had to be freed by pushing on two separate occasions.

Both were running on the same (Pirelli P6000) rubber, but the Volvo's was wider and lower profile (205/55). I also suspect the Volvo's all aluminium alloy engine was significantly lighter than the cast iron VW PD.
>> By contrast, my old Volvo S60, an excellent car in most respects, and hailing from
>> a part of the world which freezes solid for many months of the year
>>
Belgium doesn't usually spring immediately to mind when thinking of cold countries :)
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - Boxsterboy
>> Belgium doesn't usually spring immediately to mind when thinking of cold countries :)
>>

Au contraire, mon ami. I spent New Year in Brussels a few years ago and it was perishing. Below freezing all day long and about 10 below at night.
I come from the NE.
I might think about a long sleeved shirt at those temps if I think I'm coming down with something :)

Currently live in Germany where it's known to get a bit parky. -29C is the coldest I've seen. Thankfully Volvo have the good sense to offer a winter pack that will set your bum on fire.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - madf
>> Our Golf diesel was fantastic last winter, despite its 310NM of torque which is delivered
>> with all the progression of a wrecking ball. I put it down to the following:
>>
>> Narrowish, flexible (195/65) tyres
>>
>>

Hmm My Yaris D4D has 175/65 tyres and I managed to keep going without too much difficulty. The tyres were rubbish tho.. cheap rubbish on fronts and nasty Goodyears rear (all replaced now). If I tried I could spin the wheels in every gear..

I put it down to tyre width and driver ability to feather the acceleraor and engine weight on driven wheels...(Yaris has an aluminium engine block iirc). In that order..

BMW drivers have none of those :-)

Last edited by: madf on Fri 10 Sep 10 at 14:55
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - MD
In snow. Suzuki Jimny.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - 330dfanboy
My thoughts, I hope thy're of interest:

I run a 2003 E46 6 speed manual 330d Sport Saloon which I've owned from new and put all of the 181,000 miles on it. I had it chipped at 10k miles and have found that with over 250bhp and a shedload of torque it is much more economical (at least 47mpg long-term figure). I have never kept a car for more than three years before so frankly the seven years that I have run this speak for themselves.

Yes the M-sport suspension is too hard for UK B roads but what do you do, I like the extra spec and toys that you get with the M.

In snow it was downright dangerous on the 18" wheels and all the tyres I've ever run on it; so in the bad snow we have had this year I fitted 17" alloys with Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tyres and quite simply they are a revelation and give far more grip and security than my previous 4wd Imprezas on normal rubber, I wish I'd done it years ago. Mercs and Beemers should be banned from the road in bad snow, they are a complete liability.

Servicing I love, my interval has never been less than 20k miles and the highest 27k miles, you really can't argue with that.

Reliability, well the turbo at 120k miles is the only major failure, and that's a grand....... ! But clutch, battery and exhaust are all still the originals and seem to be fine. Otherwise it's the usual rear bush on the lower wishbone (three times each), and recently for the first time, anti-rollbar bushes, and a couple of dampers.

Ok, so it's the best car I've ever had by a country mile and I love it, but the question is this:
I don't like the styling of the E91 as much, and the lairy alli interior is pretty naff, and I can't afford another new one BUT: can I expect an E91 manual 330d Sport Saloon or SE to be as wonderful a car as my wonderful old warhorse please?

PS. And yes I would sell the old car to my very best mate, frankly it is *that* good........
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - 330d, 245PS - final comments - Runfer D'Hills
Welcome 330d ! - Sounds like you might / should consider keeping it more or less forever. If you have had it from new and know it very well it could be ready to give you another couple of turns around the clock.
If you've not tried an E90/E91 330d then I recommend you should. They are amazing cars, the diesel engine has been further refined compared to the E46 and the handling even more precise with the benefit of longer lasting suspension arms and bushes. Agree about the interior though. I prefer the dashboard on the E46 I used to have to the E90s I sometimes drive, though the seats on the E90 are better.

I would avoid the Sport version in the UK though. The normal suspension is firm enough, especially with the runflats. The Sport version is something for billiard table smooth autobahns, not pothole infested UK suburbia.
As per my original post, my 245PS 330d was the best car I've ever driven for a whole number of reasons, it wasn't all that bad in the Jan 2010 snow either on sensible 17" wheels and SE suspension. If I hadn't had the opportunity to live and work abroad for a few years I'd have bought it from the leasing company in March and kept it until it died.

I sincerely hope that I can still afford to run one when I get back to Blighty in a few years time although reading the UK press from 'afar' implies that the combination of oil and tax rises might put paid to such ambitions.
>> I sincerely hope that I can still afford to run one when I get back
>> to Blighty in a few years time although reading the UK press from 'afar' implies
>> that the combination of oil and tax rises might put paid to such ambitions.
>>
Actually, I_C, because of their relatively low running costs, you may be FORCED to consider a BMW when you next grace our shores.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your E91, E_C. ....Really and truly. It keeps the cosmic order in balance. It offsets the intense (and already well documented) dislike that I have of mine.
>> I'm glad that you enjoyed your E91, E_C. ....Really and truly. It keeps the cosmic
>> order in balance. It offsets the intense (and already well documented) dislike that I have
>> of mine.

I understand how you feel Londoner, I previously had an A4 B7 Avant which I grew to loath, the root cause was the engine (the 170PD) but in the end it coloured my view of the entire car. I really liked my 330d (as you can probably tell) - mostly because of the superb (imho) engine, I was possibly more prepared to forgive its weaknesses like the small boot and low(ish) rent interior.

I Googled the reg last night, not sure what possessed me to do this, but I found it (marked as sold) at an indy London dealer, nice pictures, accurate mileage etc. Priced well below a BMW franchised dealer, probably hurt by being a (great imho) manual with cloth seats (I declined the free leather offer). No mention of the electric tow-bar - either they didn't know or they were scared it would put punters off. I know it only ever carried bikes or towed a lightweight Brenderup for camping but I guess a buyer might have suspected a horse-box or such like.... the engine could certainly tow without any trouble.

Interestingly, if I deduct the sticker price (let alone the likely auction price) from the list price, the depreciation wasn't covered by my lease payments..... However, I suspect that BMW offered a 15% or higher discount to the leasing company in late 2008 when I ordered it. Even then I reckon the profit on the whole lease was very slim - maybe as little as a few hundred pounds on a capital cost of £33K over 18 months. Not great business imho.

For the record, I'd have happily bought this car, it was perfect for my needs and the new owner has a bargain....
Latest Forum Posts