Motoring Discussion > Review of Road Policing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 10

Review of Road Policing - Bromptonaut
Email from .gov this morning covering this:

www.gov.uk/government/news/roads-policing-review-to-improve-safety

No idea what might come out of it but apparently there will be some public consultation.
 Review of Road Policing - No FM2R
I have selected a few countries from the WHO report using 2016 figures showing the road related death rate per 100,000 inhabitants and ranking out of 188 countries.

Rank..... Country.............Death per 100k
3...........Norway......................2.7
7...........United Kingdom......3.1
24..........France......................5.5
51..........Greece.....................9.2
69..........United States.........12.4
183........Thailand.................32.7

Not sure I think this is one of our bigger current problems that is worthy of priority.

[sorry about the table, this software isn't the easiest for tables]

Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 16 Jul 19 at 17:21
 Review of Road Policing - Netsur
Given how sparsley populated Norway is compared to the UK, I think we do very well. If the police want to clamp down more on the motorist they had better have a very good reason unrelated to current policies of speed control and drink/drug driving.
 Review of Road Policing - R.P.
Vietnam looked pretty grim from the saddle
>> Vietnam looked pretty grim from the saddle

Vietnam
Ranked 74
24.5 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants.
 Review of Road Policing - R.P.
I honestly saw Police drawing a chalk mark around a prostate body of a motorcyclist (not one of ours) on a road...focused the mind somewhat, mind you 14 riders travelling 1500km we had a number of "offs" off road (which don't count) one minor off on road with minor injuries - which I captured on video as we rode into Hanoi. One collision with a bus...we all walked away.....tell you it does hone your biking skills.
 Review of Road Policing - Fullchat
Id put good money on the development of Highways England into something larger and taking over enforcement in one guise or another.
 Review of Road Policing - legacylad
I’m amazed the USA is ranked 69. Lots of new cars full of safety features.
If Bradford MDC was a country in its own right I wonder how that would rank as it has its fair share of Darwinisms ( is that a new word) which my friends working in the emergency services there have to attend.
I would imagine that their disdain for seatbelts doesn't help.
 Review of Road Policing - legacylad
True story. Friend of mine driving a big red machine attended an incident. The deceased had gaffer taped the steering wheel boss back on as the airbag had previously been activated and not replaced. An item, available online, had been inserted into the belt holder to stop the seat belt alarm sounding.
His informed opinion was that it saved a second legging it when decamping in a pursuit. Unfortunately he decamped in an unexpected manner.
 Review of Road Policing - zippy
If they really wanted to reduce accidents and injuries on the roads then spending real money on decent transport would be the way to go.

Decent public transport - busses, trains, metro links on the old lines closed by Beeching.

Proper separated cycle lanes, not half assed painted white lines that puts cyclists in danger too often.

Potholes cleared up to stop cars bouncing around the road.

Decent grip surfaces.

By-pass towns with decent dual carriageways.

Build dual carriageways on snail trail single lane trunk roads to eliminate dangerous overtaking.

Of course all of this would cost billions so it will never happen.
Latest Forum Posts