Motoring Discussion > MoT - Matching tyres on each axle Legal Questions
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 23

MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - Dulwich Estate
For obvious reasons I like the idea of a pair of tread pattern and depth matching tyres on each "axle". This is the case with all our family cars but I spotted in a pre-MoT that the one which needs an MoT this week has a big gouge out of a sidewall - an obvious failure. I can't get it replaced until a day or so after the MoT and in the interim, just for the MoT, I plan to put on the spare wheel which has a different brand and tread pattern tyre.

Presumably this is OK.
 MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - FotheringtonTomas
"I agree", or "yes", depending upon whether this is a statement or a question.
From Gerald Erichsen,

Tag Question - Definition: A brief question that follows a statement in which the person asking it seeking confirmation or denial of the statement. In both English and Spanish, it is common to use tag questions when the person making the statement expects the listener to be in agreement. In both English and Spanish, a tag question following a negative statement is usually in the affirmative, while a tag question following a positive statement is usually in the negative.

So, yes thanks.
No "?"? Could also be a rhetorical question, of course.
 MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - RattleandSmoke
My dads had a cheap Nexen on his rear with a V thread for the past three years. Its a different pattern to the others its never caused a problem with the MOT. I think the only legal requirement is you're not allowed to mix cross ply and a radial on one tyre.

One course if it were my car I would make sure they match.
>> I think the only legal requirement is you're not allowed to mix
>> cross ply and a radial on one tyre.

Hm, gives new meaning to the words "tyre compound".

>> One course if it were my car I would make sure they match.

Pffft.
 MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - madf
If it's 4wd, you need to check the manual: some require tyres to be replaced in sets of 2 or 4 (!).
 MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - Bellboy
and of course if you live in the country it might be preferable to have a mudnsnow tyre for kerb side duties and a normal type tyre for the tarmac side
 MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - FocalPoint
I believe minibuses need matching tyre patterns/makes on each axle - I seem to remember falling foul of this when I damaged and replaced a rear tyre on a school minibus many moons ago.
 MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - Zero
My car passed its test with two different tyres with two different tread patterns on the same axle.
 MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - MD
>> One course if it were my car I would make sure they match.
>>
Both cross plys then!!
 MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - L'escargot
>> In .......... Spanish, a tag question following a negative
>> statement is usually in the affirmative, while a tag question following a positive statement is
>> usually in the negative.

Sí, por cierto, claro que sí.
 MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - teabelly
Try E-tyres. They can usually fit the next day and come out to you wherever you are so you don't have to go into a fitters.

MOT guy will probably pass it though anyway :-)
 MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - corax
I've got 3 brands of tyre on my car. Usually I buy new tyres, but I bought a set of 16in alloys last year off Ebay to replace my 15in set, and didn't want to shell out for 4 new tyres, so bought a set of part worns. They can't always supply you with a full set of the same brand, but they were all well known makes and plenty of tread on them - and they passed the MOT.
Last edited by: corax on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 21:55
OK - thanks all -now I know.

"Try E-tyres. They can usually fit the next day and come out to you wherever you are so you don't have to go into a fitters." - I have been tasked with getting the cheapest price so have done my regular thing: got prices from internet suppliers and asked my two-man band fitters if they can beat it. This time they did it by 10p. (E-Tyres was +£5).

The day the car goes in for its service and MoT I'll be heading in the opposite direction to the fitters with the offending wheel in my boot.
 MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - L'escargot
This is what the MOT Testers Manual says.
www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm
 MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
So if my car is fitted with the full size 16" spare ,with taller profile tyre, - it is an MOT failure as rest are 17" with low profile? Hmm. What will my insurance companies attitude be to a claim with the MOT failing configuration fitted?
Last edited by: Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P} on Tue 7 Sep 10 at 11:57
 MoT - Matching tyres on each axle - Kithmo
They have to be the same diameter and profile (not sure about the same speed rating) tread pattern doesn't matter.
>> So if my car is fitted with the full size 16" spare ,with taller profile
>> tyre, - it is an MOT failure as rest are 17" with low profile?

I doubt it, as it is not fitted to the car at the time of testing - however, were it fitted, it should fail.

>> What will my insurance companies attitude be to a claim with the MOT failing configuration
>> fitted?

No different from normal.
Not sure what 'normal' means in this instance. Are you saying that an insurance company could accept or reject a claim as the car was not able to pass an MOT when the spare was fitted?
They'd pay it. If it didn't even *have* an MOT they'd pay it, possibly unless it was unroadworthy (your claim only) - you'd have to read your policy to see.
Makes me a bit nervous though. Driving a potential MOT failure which may or may not be roadworthy. A grey area I'm sure.
A car may be an MOT failure and still be roadworthy. It may pass an MOT and be unroadworthy later that day!
UPDATE:

"just for the MoT, I plan to put on the spare wheel which has a different brand and tread pattern tyre.

Presumably this is OK."

PASSED today.
Latest Forum Posts