Motoring Discussion > Renault - The Megane Experiment Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 25

Renault - The Megane Experiment - Dog
Has anyone watched this video, quite good IMO, and there are some fine models to be cee'n,
and some nice cars as well ~

www.themeganeexperiment.com/?wt.mc_id=EM10-ME-066#/two-towns
 Renault - The Megane Experiment - Chris S
I take it the 'big bottom' approach to car selling didn't work?
 Renault - The Megane Experiment - WillDeBeest
More that the cars didn't work, wasn't it?
 Renault - The Megane Experiment - R.P.
Exactly what I was thinking.
 Renault - The Megane Experiment - Redviper
Is it true that Renaults market share (for the UK) has dropped to record lows?

Is it true that Renaults Quality has improved? if so the quality control department was closed the day our pool car Laguna came of the production line,

Is the 'experiment' advertising going to be enough to tempt back buyers of the product?
Last edited by: Redviper on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 15:02
 Renault - The Megane Experiment - Armel Coussine
If that's the 'shake that gnash' ad then I liked it, liked that model of Megane and like Renaults in general.

It made certain elements in the HJ forum apoplectic with xenophobia and sexual repression something that made me giggle. There are a lot of those Meganes gliding about in France. They are very quiet, comfortable by all accounts, probably frugal and undoubtedly safe.
I really do like the styling of the Megane's Even the Laguna

Ive always liked Renaults Styling and the way they drive - (comfort etc) though something i think they do well.
Last edited by: Redviper on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 15:50
I think the latest Megane is grrrrrrrrreat, I could easily be tempted by a 1.9D auto.
 Renault - The Megane Experiment - madf
Whilst I have no hangup with car badging, A Renault is surely the choice of those who are ignorant of the history of Renault's engineering incompetence and as such says a lot about the owner's savoir faire or lack of it..

(to choose an appropriate phrase):-)
Last edited by: madf on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 16:19
>>the choice of those who are ignorant of the history of Renault's engineering incompetence and as such says a lot about the owner

Since you mention history, madf, have you ever seen a Renault 45, a mighty 9-litre tourer from the early twenties capable of cruising at 90mph?

madf by name and madf by nature if you ask me...

:o}
"Since you mention history, madf, have you ever seen a Renault 45, a mighty 9-litre tourer from the early twenties capable of cruising at 90mph? "

Who cares? It's ancient history...

If that's your best counter , judging by the other comments on the thread, you are outvoted.

Reanualt : the designer of the self destructing diesel turbo... the self opening bonnet (at speed) and the auto hearbox that none of its dealers can fault find...

>> Who cares? It's ancient history...

Heh heh ... Are you hinting that Renault now isn't quite the same thing as Renault when it made cars better in important ways than contemporary Rolls-Royces?

Can't argue with that. But anyone who buys a small auto even today is a pretty poor excuse for a motorist in my book. And there were always rubbish variants of most big-volume models. Why should Renault be any different?

I've only owned one modernish Renault and it was a really nice car. Not perfect but excellent. Driven others and found them fine. You're just a bigot, for good-seeming reasons no doubt.
 Renault - The Megane Experiment - Zero
>> Reanualt : the designer of the self destructing diesel turbo...
check the various clips on youtube of self destructing runaway Engine BMWs and VWs.

the self opening bonnet (at
>> speed)

was a problem caused by the owners lack of maintenance, and has happened to other cars. You watch too much watchdog.

and the auto hearbox that none of its dealers can fault find...

when was the last time anyone actually FIXED a dsg gearbox on an audi. No-one.
 Renault - The Megane Experiment - WillDeBeest
They do look good, RV, I agree. At least, some do - the Laguna coupé is certainly a head turner, even if the parent car is more of an ugly friend.

But it counts for nothing if the car will leave you stranded in the rain, or won't start when you have a plane to catch. Modern cars are amazingly reliable, but Renaults - from the evidence of everyone I know who's owned one. and my own eyes on all the hard shoulders I pass - still keep finding ways to break down, and that's why I don't want one. It's a reputation that may take decades to lose, and Renault may not have that long - look what happened to Lancia in the UK because of a single model that wasn't fit for purpose.

Curiously perhaps, I'm in the process now of buying a hefty piece of French engineering, but that's a cooker - and it doesn't contain a single circuit board, even for a timer.
Totally agree with you WillDeBeest

Twice bitten with Renault, I will say they look good but (for the foreseeable future) I will never own one again.
Last edited by: Redviper on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 16:43
 Renault - The Megane Experiment - borasport
I tried viewing this this a.m. and when it was about halfway through it seemed to get stuck in a loop and re-start - had to kill the browser eventually.
Tried again this afternoon and it gets as far as the bloke sat in front of the pub and hangs

I can only presume it was put together by the same blokes who designed the electrics/electronics for the Megane I used to own :-)
 Renault - The Megane Experiment - DP
Some of the best looking, most comfortable and most thoughtfully designed mass produced cars around IMHO. But when they go wrong out of warranty, the costs wouldn't be out of place on a piece of exotica.
Id have another, but not with my own money.
 Renault - The Megane Experiment - corax
>> I can only presume it was put together by the same blokes who designed the
>> electrics/electronics for the Megane I used to own :-)

Seems to be working alright for me borasport, must be that french computer you're using :-)

Driver Power Survey in Autoexpress rated the new megane as 5 out of top 100. 'Owners say it is a revelation'. It's only a year old for gods sake.
Yeah, well ... if I was considering buying a new Renault, I'd certainly do some research (and some!)
I've worked on loads of French cars in the not-too distant past and I always found the engines to be robust,
Wifey had a 16v 1.4 Clio a few years ago, and it broke down (electrics)
As nice as they indeed are, if I found they are *STILL* a problem car, I'd give them a wide berth.
 Renault - The Megane Experiment - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
That's the squashed hatchback that appears as practical as the new Scirroco?
'"Owners say it is a revelation'. It's only a year old for gods sake."

Wait 5 years before claiming it's reliable..
Sod it, I might buy a SRi 2.0 CDTi 16v 5dr Auto Astra just out of spite!
Don't get me wrong, I really like the look of them, especially the coupe. If it turns out to be reliable I would seriously be tempted, as it's one of the better looking hatches out there. Even if it had a few niggly faults that would be fine, as long as they're cheap to fix, but Renault like to charge for parts. We had an early Clio, and that was a nice friendly car with a good ride/handling mix, but it had a few expensive repairs, and we were put off. I like their image though, as I do Citroens. Anyone who decides to waft aroung in a Citroen C6 should be applauded, if only to allow me to gawp at the things. A real looker in a sea of blandness.
There's an extremely quick Megane, a 2 litre turbo available in a cheap stark version with a trick differential and low profile tyres, and a civilised more expensive one with sensible tyres and without the differential... that one would do me fine. Neither variant is at all dear for that level of performance. HJ gave it nine out of ten or thereabouts as a driver's car... notchy gearchange, otherwise tiptop.

The only problem with the coupe is the extreme French slinkiness of its appearance. But I could live with that if I couldn't afford a Bristol or nice shabby Maserati coupe... naturally I am speaking hypothetically being stony broke, eternally in the cor what'll she do mister class...
>>naturally I am speaking hypothetically being stony broke, eternally in the cor what'll she do mister class...

Well, if I win the lottery I might sling a few quid your way in return for the entertaining literary ramblings I've enjoyed on here and HJ in the past :-)
 Renault - The Megane Experiment - Bellboy
the advert on my local radio station is quite amusing for this
Latest Forum Posts