Motoring Discussion > Roads to Cornwall Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Skip Replies: 6

Roads to Cornwall - Skip
We are off to Cornwall next Saturday on holiday, i normally use the M4/M5 (live in North Kent) as although it is a longer route i have always found the A303 to be a PITA. Has this road been improved in the last few years, or is it still the alternate single/dual carriageway carp ?

Andy
 Roads to Cornwall - Zero
>> We are off to Cornwall next Saturday on holiday, i normally use the M4/M5 (live
>> in North Kent) as although it is a longer route i have always found the
>> A303 to be a PITA. Has this road been improved in the last few years,
>> or is it still the alternate single/dual carriageway carp ?

the A303 route is fine except the bit round stonehenge.

The winks are back at school so it should be an easy journey.
 Roads to Cornwall - MD
M4/M5 always. A303 Ok when OK, but don't moan when congested. Life's a gamble.

M
 Roads to Cornwall - Westpig
I prefer the M3/A303 it's more scenic (and less mileage, so your lower avarage speed doesn't matter as much). The Stonehenge bit, as mentioned slows you down, as does the bit approaching and inc Devon until you get to Honiton.

We always check the latest travel reports on the mobile before decision time from the M25 (if that isn't already clogged). It has saved our bacon a few times.

Speaking of which, a bacon sarnie in the layby on the A303 just before the junction with the A30...wonderful...and cheap. Puts the Little Thief prices to shame (even though it's a wonky caravan and the toilet is..er...primitive to say the least).
 Roads to Cornwall - Dog
When we lived in S.E. London, I'd always do the M4/M5,
but when we moved to Hastings I'd do the A303/A30
I had 9 visitors here last week, you know - the one week of constant sunshine :)
They left Lewisham at mid day last Sunday for their trip to Cornwall, and they left Looe at 1-00pm on Friday for their return journey = no trouble whatsoever, crazy really because I'd never consider travelling to Cornwall at those times.
Hope you have some nice weather Paul.
 Roads to Cornwall - FotheringtonTomas
I'd use the motorways. I have been on both of those recently, and they are the way to go.

Try the AA's "route planner", plug in "via" or "avoid motorways" to tailor your route, and see how much mileage/time difference there is.
 Roads to Cornwall - Marc
My experience is always a Friday or Saturday during the 6 week hols but I reckon :

M4 then M5 on the way out - with an early start to beat folk from the north and midlands.

A303 home as it's less busy than the clogged M5 northbound by midday.
Latest Forum Posts