Motoring Discussion > What van/mpv for this lady. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 31

What van/mpv for this lady. - -
One of SWMBO's fellow small business friends is thinking of a new vehicle in the near future.

It must be able to carry stock for her small business, and be able to carry 5 people in reasonable comfort.
The stock includes food as well as other items so a van type vehicle may be a better bet than a MPV with the seats out as there could be the odd spillage.

Now the big headache is she can only drive auto, presumably she passed on an auto, she's a lovely woman too so thinking caps on please.

The only thing i can come up with is a VW Caddy Maxi which is available with the DSG box, not sure if she'd be up for anything as big as Hyundai's van (i800 being the MPV of) though Caddy Maxi is 16ft long anyway.

Whats the suggestions fellow motorists.
 What van/mpv for this lady. - Runfer D'Hills
Leaning towards Berlingo / Partner type things. Any idea of budget GB ?

I know you have specified 5 seats so it rules the following out but I've just been with a pal who has bought himself a new Astra van but with all manner of bells and whistles. Looks like a sports estate. It's an auto too funnily enough. "Sportive" I think its called. Only two seats though.
Agree about the Berlingo/Partner suggestion Hump, probably the ideal vehicle, and not sold in auto form not even with satans gearbox...the automated manual.
I wonder how many thousands of sales Pug and Cit lost through there being no auto option.

I like those Astra sportvans meself, quite fancy the 1.9 in one of those.
 What van/mpv for this lady. - MD
>>Only two seats though.

And your point is Humph?
 What van/mpv for this lady. - Zero
Why the caddy maxi? the ordinary caddy would do?

How about a Touran, its caddy size (it is a caddy basically) comes with dsg gearbox, and all the seats come out.
>> Why the caddy maxi? the ordinary caddy would do?

Caddy Kombi would have been ideal Z, not available in UK according to HJ.

I think she'd like to be able to load a certain amount of her stuff on a rubber matted floor without dropping the seats, that's why a good square van back end would be so useful.

Sorry, budget, she's up for new and would otherwise have to run 2 vehicles, so i'm hazarding an educted guess at £15Kish but she wants new or almost new with long warranty.
 What van/mpv for this lady. - Stuu
Renault Kangoo? Just checked on CBC and its suggesting they do a 1.6 auto.
 What van/mpv for this lady. - Stuu
Peugeot Bipper seems to come with an autobox.
Any automatic estate plus one of these....

www.roofbox.co.uk/car-boot-liners-mats/

:-)
she needs, of course, one of those very fancy and hard to find clip on bike carriers as well.
 What van/mpv for this lady. - R.P.
And a trailer, don't forget the trailer.
Bipper really is a tiny vehicle Stu not much room for 3 strapping kids in the back., but the new Renault Kangoo MPV might be worth a look.
Pity the auto only seems to be with petrol engine, but seeing as there's almost no competition in this market with an auto box no need for them to bother.

Tried to get some info from Renaults own website but it's as much use as the proverbial choc teapot.

EDIT, auto estate and boot form as Hump links to would give lots more options.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 4 Sep 10 at 20:53
 What van/mpv for this lady. - Dog
Nissan NV200, dunno if it comes in automatic though (if not,why not!)
Worth checking with the pain dealer.
 What van/mpv for this lady. - Bellboy
i would leave this one to her
lets see
auto
reefer on the roof
under 15g
must fit on her drive
carry 42 passengers
metallic paint
kudos
nap too much for me
has she considered a transit ?
DON'T under ANY circumstances have any Renault with their 'Quick shi(f)t gearbox. Main dealer friend told me so.
>> Nissan NV200, dunno if it comes in automatic though (if not,why not!)

Don't think it does D.

The Japanese have been making all sorts of these MPV type things with various emphasis between passenger and load space for donkeys years, we often see them here as grey imports, but makers seem so reluctant to offer them here in normal sales.
Martin's mate's comment logged for future knowledge, Cheers Mart.

Got a funny feeling BB might be on the right track here.

Thinking about it and remembering Rattie nearly getting involved in poking under the bonnet of his friends unloved Clio, i think i might take some of me own advice and not get any more involved than these mere suggestions.
Doesn't DSG mean a regular service for the 'box and problems looming in the future?
>> Doesn't DSG mean a regular service for the 'box and problems looming in the future?
>>

Wouldn't be surprised Mart, expensive ones daresay and i wouldn't want one meself, but there's precious few alternatives in this market.

I was down the auctions for a couple of days, the dealers seem to be shunning, or at least knocking down the price on DSG's
 What van/mpv for this lady. - corax
Going by what Humph suggested, maybe a Vauxhall Astra estate auto with bootliner. Probably a petrol as according to HJ plenty of problems with the 1.9 diesel. Its got a nice square back and plenty of space in the boot. I see a lot of tradesmen using the van version. If thats not big enough maybe a Vectra.
Its got a
>> nice square back and plenty of space in the boot. I see a lot of
>> tradesmen using the van version. If thats not big enough maybe a Vectra.

Cheap too now i'd have thought if there are still some around in the compounds, i always liked Vectra estate too being a proper square jobbie not trying to be some sort of lifestyle statement and losing 50% of their practicality in the process.

She Who Must will pass on suggestions and then leave her to it, too easy to get dragged in.
Probably the best course of action GB.

Pleased to see that your personal penny has dropped re estates though ! Wisdom does have a habit of manifesting itself eventually.....

:-)
 What van/mpv for this lady. - Skoda
Skoda Roomster.

Mods, can i change my name to Skoda? :-)
 What van/mpv for this lady. - Skoda
Done?

EDIT: Ohh nice!
Last edited by: Skoda on Sun 5 Sep 10 at 14:06
 What van/mpv for this lady. - R.P.
I thought the Roomie would be a good one as well, they do a DSG versionIIRC
Roomster added to list, thankyou.
 What van/mpv for this lady. - Boxsterboy

>> Caddy Kombi would have been ideal Z, not available in UK according to HJ.
>>

Caddy Kombi not available but there is an 'authorised conversion' where they put a back seat in a Caddy (and bulkhead if wanted). I got the brochure froma VW dealer. The company name begins with a C. Might have been Cotrim?
 What van/mpv for this lady. - FotheringtonTomas
>> Caddy Kombi would have been idea

That's a small van, looks the same as a Berlin go. Doesn't SEAT do an equivalent here?
 What van/mpv for this lady. - FotheringtonTomas
I like my Scudo window van a lot - there are new (faster, better, stronger (even more economical?)) ones, you can buy glazed ones, but I do not know whether you can get autos. The floor is easy to clean. The seats in the "middle" come out very easily - no tools needed. There are three seats in the front. Loads of extras available on the new ones, I've looked. So, at least look at glazed Citroen/Fiat/Pewgot "new" mid-size vans.
 What van/mpv for this lady. - Iffy
A Honda garage I worked for had an Acty van with a rear tip and tumble bench seat.

Occupants couldn't see out sideways, only forwards, but it was OK apart from that.

The installation was neat enough, but I'm not sure if it was a factory option or a workshop special.

They used the van to carry the five-a-side football team. There was room for the kit and few balls behind the rear seat.

Latest Forum Posts