Motoring Discussion > Vietnam adventure. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 3

Vietnam adventure. - R.P.
Well, I'm back. My return flight was diverted due to Indian/Pakistan tensions but to get from Hanoi to Rhyl railway station in less than 19 hours is quite efficient really. I arrived home to a summery 17 degrees was a bit of a shock to the system though.

Air Vietnam's chosen aircraft was a 787 Dreamliner. Not that impressed really and was quite happy to get off. They lost my suitcase on the outward leg which contained my motorcycling trousers - so that cast a bit of a shadow on the first week, but it didn't stop me participating in the riding.

We had a couple of days to acclimatise in Hanoi, before setting off on our 1500km ride up to the Chinese border and back. Traffic was horrendous in Hanoi, forty years motoring and motor-cycling nouse had to be suspended. Out of Hanoi, the roads varied from smooth Euro type roads to rutted muddy tracks that served villages. Most of the route was on-road, but significant portions were off road - a real challenge to me as I'd never done anything like that before. I perceived and got spat off four times at various times - minor injuries (had I had my pants I wouldn't have sustained any) Once I had my gear it was fine, others on the trip were not so lucky sustaining some painful falls.

Riding into Hanoi on the last day of riding was one hell of an experience. Fifty Km of full on traffic, obeying no recognisable rules of the road and a memorable ride over the Red River on the railway bridge was epic.

Left 'Nam with a minor scar on my knee and more memories to mull over in the care home - backed up by stack of Go Pro vids and photos.

My advice visit Vietnam as soon as you can - it is truly a special place with very special and friendly people, some stunning scenery, some peerless riding conditions. VN is changing very quickly.

Stunning holiday forget the Top Gear rubbish though.
 Vietnam adventure. - smokie
Vietnam was on that Marigold show last night, where they send old has-been luvvies out to see what these places are like for old people. I'm not sure I'd have coped with driving in Hanoi, and I'm reasonably confident! They went north somewhere and the scenery looked spectacular especially around a 4 km (or mile) cable car they went on.

SWMBO won't do long flights though (medical condition) so it won't be on my agenda...

Glad you survived Rhyl... :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 28 Feb 19 at 19:05
 Vietnam adventure. - No FM2R
Interesting but I'd love to know more detail about the tour.

Would you do it again? Was the day's riding just riding or were you doing anything else as well? What sort of accommodation did you use and how was it? Was it like riding in a group, or a bunch of individuals who only met up when you stopped somewhere?

I am really interested, so if you don't mind the typing...…...
 Vietnam adventure. - R.P.
Yes, I would do it again - there were several moments on the trip that were truly life affirming and life changing (and possibly life threatening :-) ) - there were three days in Hanoi and a 24 hour cruise in Halon Bay - in a post tour review we asked for a rest-day at the mid-point. The bikes ( Asia market Honda XR150s) were perfect for the job. Powerful enough for the on-road use and light enough for off-road activities, anything larger would have been difficult to handle. We had a superb local guide who was an off road whizz and was able to take us to places well off the beaten track to see stuff - we went for days on end without seeing a Western face. We rode in a group, split on off road routes as we had an option to follow the support truck or go on lengthy off road sessions. We stayed in decentish hotels and three "home-stays" basically rural hostels.

Smokie, I have to admit I was crapping myself at the prospect of riding into Hanoi as well ( Rhyl was a doddle)
Latest Forum Posts