Motoring Discussion > A close shave Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 6

A close shave - legacylad
Took my old Mum out for an early lunch today before the heavy snow, forecast for 14:00 arrived. Only three miles up a local unclassified road to Knight Stainforth in the Ribble valley. The snow arrived early but I got her home ok, and just managed to get up the short twisty uphill road where I live. 20” rims and summer high performance 295/40 rear tyres don’t help much in the snow. Then up my sloping double width + drive. I got out of the car to turn the home alarm off and use the remote to open the garage door. Stepped back outside just as the car began sliding backwards at a fair rate of knots, with the electronic brake on and in P. Grabbed open the door, threw myself inside and stood on the brake. Missed the tapering stone wall at the bottom of the drive by inches as it pirouetted past it sideways and onto the road. Fired it up and managed to get it into the garage at an odd angle.
That was a first for me. A gnats chuff away from having to make a claim on the insurance. Phew.
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 22 Jan 19 at 16:14
 A close shave - Zero
wow, dont want to scratch the barbie mobile.

Do you want me to post the video of a proper behaving sports wagon in the snow again?

A close shave - Runfer D'Hills
I had winter tyres put on the Merc last week. Don't normally bother, but I have to drive to Grenoble and then on to Milan in a couple of weeks, and because it needed tyres anyway, I thought I would. Kuhmo Wintercrafts. They look like tractor tyres but they're OK in normal conditions. Anyway, I'm in Belfast at the moment and it's snowing, wouldn't like to say for sure if they're helping, but they seem to be coping well enough I suppose.

Couldn't get all season tyres for the size needed on my back wheels, the fronts were available ( different sizes y'see ) but no one seemed to have the back ones, so I went for full winters all round. The summer tyres I took off ( and kept ) don't have much life left in them, but I guess they might do a month or two later in the year.

I put Michelin Crossclimetes on "her" car back along, again mainly because it needed tyres anyway, and they were more or less the same price as anything else you can pronounce, so we're well set up for any impending "beasts" no matter which point of the compass they call home.

"His" Aygo still has "summer" tyres on, but it's for his own good and that should just be a bit of character building really.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 22 Jan 19 at 19:46
 A close shave - Dog
>>Kuhmo Wintercrafts

Oh dear: www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/WinterCraft-WP71.htm
Oh well, at least they'll not be on for very long eh?
 A close shave - Lygonos
Average cost, so an average tyre.

Will still be a pile better than summer tyres if hitting Alpine snow.

4wd summer vs 2wd winter

youtu.be/atayHQYqA3g
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 22 Jan 19 at 20:09
That's pretty conclusive, blimey! In fairness, I've never really found the Mercs to be as bad in winter conditions as is alleged by some, even on summer rubber. But if these winter tyres make that much of a difference then great.
Latest Forum Posts