Motoring Discussion > French drivers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 5

French drivers - PeterS
An observation more than anything, but the speed limit in France changed in July for secondary roads from 90km/h to 80km/h and, having spent New Year in France, I was surprised just how religious the French were at adhering to it!. I know over the last 5 years they’ve been driving slower and slower on the autoroutes, succumbing presumably to every more rigorous enforcement. But I didn’t expect them to have given in so easily on the rural roads! Its odd sitting at a (cruise controlled) 82mph on the autoroute and being one of the fastest drivers; it’s not that long age I’d have been one of the slowest! Though, at 82mph the 137 miles between peages on an almost deserted A26 was a bit tedious. Broke my personal record for longest uninterrupted period of unaltered cruise control mind you!!
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 3 Jan 19 at 01:30
 French drivers - Manatee
We crossed France in September. Mostly A & N roads, but on the way home we did about 130km on the D road to the south of the A5 between Langres and Troyes on the way back, before joining the A26 for Calais. The fantastic rural roads of France as I remember them. Hardly any traffic, excellent surfaces and no enforcement of the 80 limit that I could see (I was punctilious in observing the limit in the villages of course).

It was two hours of bliss for anyone who takes pleasure in motoring. In the MX-5 of course.

The new limit was in as far as I know, but they hadn't got around to changing all the 90 signs.
 French drivers - PeterS
No, I didn’t see any enforcement at all but despite that the locals were all religiously adhering to the 80kmh limit. Might of course have been because it was the holiday period and they were all over the limit ;)
 French drivers - hawkeye
Just come back from New Year with Mrs H's family near Chaource (30 mins South of Troyes). Exactly the opposite experience on local roads. We tootle to the along to the shops at 80kph and the locals blast past at an alarming rate.
 French drivers - PeterS
Then I can only assume the residents of the champagne Ardenne had consumed so much of the local produce as to be circumspect with regards to their speed! Ironically, probably drawing more attention to themselves in the process...
 French drivers Radar Types - sherlock47
Just when you thought that you had worked out which radars in France do what - I found this site.

Well worth a look for regular travellers.

www.radars-auto.com/
Latest Forum Posts