Motoring Discussion > If you were to choose one.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 39

If you were to choose one.... - Bobby
If you were looking for an automatic, SUV type car with a budget of c £16k, which of the following (if any) would you take? Or what other would you suggest?

Must haves:
front and rear sensors
heated seats
max road tax £200

Number 1 BMW X3 2013 50k miles
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811292861432

Number 2 bmW X3 2015 89k miles
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812183331639

Number 3 Nissan Qasqai Tekna 1.6 dci 65 plate 20k miles
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812053004827

Thoughts? Reasons?
 If you were to choose one.... - Avant
I think I'd look for either a Suzuki Vitara 1.4T or a petrol Mazda CX-5 (don't go near a Mazda diesel), or if you need something the size of an X3, look at a Volvo XC60. Any of these has a better reputation for reliability than either the Qashqai or an older BMW.

The Volvo is more likely to have the heated seats and the sensors if these are essential.
The Volvo automatics not the same as Ford, that Powershift thing? Thought that was one of the autos to avoid?
 If you were to choose one.... - legacylad
Apologies Avant. Thread drift. My old 2004 330 which I sold to my nephew a few years ago....he wanted something reliable and it was, has just been replaced by a 2yo CX5 diesel.
I’m still scratching my head as to why on earth he did that, apart from the fact his wife wouldn’t drive it being as it was ‘too fast’ for her. WTF.
 If you were to choose one.... - No FM2R
May I ask why a maximum road tax of £200?

Surely even if the car you wanted was £300 p.a. then £500 over the next 5 years is trivial?
I don’t like paying any taxes that I can avoid.......

Seriously, any more than £200 will probably also put it into lower mpg territory
I'd go for the Nissan I think. I have never had a Qasqai but my wife has a Murano.

I don't like it, but its a very well put together and quality vehicle. Feels solid and reliable, for what that's worth
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 26 Dec 18 at 23:34
 If you were to choose one.... - movilogo
If you have rear camera then sensors are superfluous.
Front sensors dont matter much especially if you can see bonnet
Heated seat pads can be purchased under £20 per seat
Road tax is small part in overall ownership cost

Are you not considering fuel economy, reliability (perceived and actual), type of automatic etc?
My wife's Nissan has a camera and no sensors and it's an pain. The problem with a camera is that you have to stare at it whereas with sensors you can be looking at something else and still listening.

Front sensors matter very much. I cannot see the front foot or so of any of our cars. Again, one can look and listen.

Heated seat pads? Really? Do you buy after market fog lights and stick-on HRWs as well? They are an awful solution. Though in all honestly I am not sure how much I care about actually having heated seats.

The Road Tax I tend to agree with you on, but each to their own.

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 29 Jan 20 at 10:34
 If you were to choose one.... - movilogo
>> with sensors you can be looking at something else and still listening.

Not looking where going sounds dangerous to me.

Main dealers can fit parking sensors (at reasonable cost). Fog lamps can be fitted too as most cars have holders for fog lamps in bumpers and a dummy switch inside (as higher trims always come with fog lamps).

>> Suzuki Vitara 1.4T

+1

or Suzuki SX4 S-cross (boot is bigger than Vitara)
Last edited by: movilogo on Thu 27 Dec 18 at 09:09
 If you were to choose one.... - R.P.
My 2013 V40's (Cross Country)'s auto-box was awful - real Achilles heel of a fine motor - I'm attracted to Volvo and the current range is handsome, but I would need an extended test drive of any auto before I'd consider one. I am an auto convert thanks to the BMW. I know nothing of Nissan's products.
 If you were to choose one.... - BiggerBadderDave
"Main dealers can fit parking sensors (at reasonable cost). Fog lamps can be fitted too as most cars have holders for fog lamps in bumpers and a dummy switch inside (as higher trims always come with fog lamps)."

That along with added-on heated pads makes me cringe. Like trunking in a house. Cheap-fix, poorly-thought out and visually-aborrhent. Nasty. Millions goes into style and visual aesthetics in the motor industry and tasteless numpties with a few quid ruin it. Halfords - they saw you coming.

Funny though. There are few around my way with their endless stick-on crap and awful seat covers. Does make me giggle.
 If you were to choose one.... - henry k
Do not forget the brightly coloured furry steering wheel cover to keep your pinkies warm and for neighbours to admire .
Halfords to not stock heated steering wheels :-(
>Not looking where going sounds dangerous to me.

Exactly, that's why the cameras are of limited use.
 If you were to choose one.... - tyrednemotional
....funnily enough, when I use my reversing camera, I am looking where I'm going (and it is a better view than either door mirrors or through the rear window.) ;-)
I find it a very myopic view and easy to lose context.

It is excellent for close quarters manoeuvring, but mostly I'd rather rely on the door mirrors and sensors.
To be fair, I think it depends greatly on the particular installation.

The one on the X1 is, IMO, excellent. I use it in preference to other methods when reversing. (I bought the vehicle from stock, wouldn't have specified the camera, but it was one of the freebies I got, along with a healthy discount, when I asked them to best match my requirements). I was impressed with its usefulness from scratch.

The one on the motor home is (of necessity) mounted high, has a clear picture, but is useful largely to ensure you do not reverse fully into something, rather than to aid the whole reversing manoeuvre.
 If you were to choose one.... - Zero
>> To be fair, I think it depends greatly on the particular installation.
>>
>> The one on the X1 is, IMO, excellent. I use it in preference to other
>> methods when reversing. (I bought the vehicle from stock, wouldn't have specified the camera, but
>> it was one of the freebies I got, along with a healthy discount, when I
>> asked them to best match my requirements). I was impressed with its usefulness from scratch.

The G30 I had as a test had it. It was not good in the dark and the rain, a reverse was hit and miss. The standard parking sensors are superb, accurate with good spread front and rear and a superb graphical radar display. They are however a little slow, fast reversing is not to be recommended.
....I have the sensors (F/R) in addition to the camera...... ;-)
But you cant have the radar display and the camera picture
...certainly not simultaneously.....though it is but a single press of the iDrive button to toggle between them.

(reverse manoeuvre using the camera, then switch to the sensor view for the final few inches if you wish - though generally, the camera is sufficient for me).
 If you were to choose one.... - Manatee
>> I find it a very myopic view and easy to lose context.
>>
>> It is excellent for close quarters manoeuvring, but mostly I'd rather rely on the door
>> mirrors and sensors.

Same opinion here. Good for getting an inch away from a wall, and those small posts you can't see, otherwise not helpful.

Had one on my first Outlander. I was staring intently at not very much on the screen when I scraped the side of the bumper on a pillar that I would have been well aware of had I been looking out of the windows. Own stupidity but wouldn't have happened without the camera!

Only used it for the last foot after that, which is probably what it's meant for. For the most part I can manage with bleepers, which are the more useful if it's one or the other.
 If you were to choose one.... - VxFan
>> Main dealers can fit parking sensors (at reasonable cost). Fog lamps can be fitted too
>> as most cars have holders for fog lamps in bumpers and a dummy switch inside
>> (as higher trims always come with fog lamps).

Not in the modern world of canbus systems. Most things like that now need programming to the car instead of just plug and play, and it all depends what you consider is "reasonable cost".
 If you were to choose one.... - Dog
>>depends what you consider is "reasonable cost".

£390 on a Sub: www.subaru.co.uk/product/10377/subaru-outback-rear-parking-sensors
>> If you have rear camera then sensors are superfluous.

Good designed sensors are streets ahead of a camera, specially in the dark and the rain.

>>Heated seat pads can be purchased under £20 per seat

And you have silly cables plugged into power sockets dangling everywhere, and they are pathetic compared to heated seats.

If you were to choose one.... - Boxsterboy
No. 1. Is that the first X3 that was universally panned at launch for being uncomfortable, small inside, and generally not very good? If so, then I wouldn't buy it.

No. 2. I would not spend £16,000 on any mainstream car that has done 90,000 miles.

No. 3. Quashqais have poor reliability record, so I wouldn't buy one of them either.
Seriously? the Vitara mentioned is a good call. I know its a manual, but look at this baby for value

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811232698008

or this auto

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812213423489

Ok no heated seats, but heated seats are only needed if you have leather. For leather seats they are essential.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 27 Dec 18 at 10:03
Totally agree with Zero. I’ve cameras front and rear, but rely on my eyesight and sensors first and foremost.
The only thing I didn’t like about my previous BMW was the lack of heating in the leather seats. I bought it on a warm day and in 6 years of ownership that was the only thing that could have improved it. Ruddy awful for the first few miles on a cold winters day.
I find wearing trousers helps.
 If you were to choose one.... - zippy
My brother's BMW X3 was very expensive and at 7 years old was effectively scrapped as the repair bills were outrageous even at an independent.

At 38 months, even with a full main dealer service history BMW didn't want to help re a total failure of the 4 wheel drive system.
 If you were to choose one.... - Lygonos
Save 12 grand (or more if you wait until winter is passed)

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810311990009

or

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810312004002

Our old one is well over 200k miles.

The extra Road Tax is massively dwarfed by the extra VAT you'd pay for a 16 grand motor.

Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 27 Dec 18 at 18:04
 If you were to choose one.... - Runfer D'Hills
I wouldn't immediately choose any of them Bobby, but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd not rush to buy any SUV when far better cars that aren't hatchbacks on stilts are available.

My wife would though, she's far more interested in how a car "looks" than how it drives. Beauty of course, being firmly in the eye of the beholder and she is from Cheshire, so she can't really help it.

I suppose it's the same reason why so many people currently have the inside of their houses painted grey and have laminate floors.

Your budget? I'd be after a mildly used C class estate or a 3 series touring.

Not that any of the above helps I'm afraid, erm, sorry and all that...

;-)

I couldn’t agree more. Once I pluck up the courage to have my hip replaced, and they can guarantee I’ll be able to continue skiing and backpacking, I’ll dump my SUV like a hot piece of coal. Replaced with a more traditional ‘lower down’ means of transport.
Overseas with lower humidity, when I can get in and out of a vehicle with relative ease, I much prefer the dynamics and space efficiency of a normal estate/hatch.
Interesting replies guys. Some thoughts:

Height - I had 3 Scenics, Alea xl, Hyundai ix35. i loved the higher seating postion with legs at right angles rather than lying on floor. i also drive vans at work and just seem to prefer the upper position. Maybe the Civic is lower than some cars (though not lower than 3 series estate) but I definitely prefer climbing into a car rather than down into one.

I am not an "enthusiastic driver" as such that is going to be cutting about on A and B roads pushing the dynamics to the edge so the perceived poorer handling of higher cars is fine with me.

C Class Estate - love them, love the shape, but wouldn't consider a RWD car. Dont want to be one of those at the hill at end of my street that is sitting holding everyone else up (I dont have your years of RWD experience Humph)
3 series estate - I would consider this in x drive format, in fact I was considering it when I then thought about the X3
Suzuki - never been on my radar and I dont know, just dont like them. Couldnt tell you without googling where my nearest dealer was. Werent they supposed to be pulling out of UK while back?
Volvo - any of the big Volvos would be well out my price range. Colleague had an XC90 and had nothing but hassle with it between turbos and automatic gearbox issues.

In reality the Qashqai ticks all my boxes, its just that there are very mixed reviews re the auto gearbox. When I speak to my local indie and mentions autos, he advises to go BMW or Merc (and he is a dyed in the wool VAG man).

Interesting in responses re the X3 and higher mileages - there seem to be plenty available and not all necessarily back street dealers. I know a work contact who buys 3 series at 80k and takes to 150k in 2 years and swears its the cheapest motoring possible.

Re Sensors, we have 3 cars parked on the driveway,bumper to bumper. thats why i would like sensors front and rear. The camera is also handy for that last few inches but other than that, its eyes on the mirrors, and ears listening to the beepers!

Completely off the top of my head, and I’ve no idea on what is available within your budget, what about a Honda CRV? Equally I’ve no idea about their auto boxes
Currently have a Civic and since I got it 3 years ago the bluetooth has not worked properly. It has been in for numerous updates but they have never been able to fix it.
Would put me off the marque.

I like the CRV, some seem to have CVT gearboxes and some an 8 speed gearbox.
In my price range it would give me the exact same radio unit as I have just now and I just wouldn't take that risk which is annoying as I use a fabulous family dealer in Peebles who give fantastic service but can pnly work with the tools that Honda give them!
 If you were to choose one.... - CGNorwich
No they wishing to put a damper on things but a replacement hip won’t really stand up to impact sports like skiing. I think you wil also find that a getting into a more uprighty car will be a hell of a lot easier. Replacement hip joint are good and remove pain and give you back mobility but they are not as good as the real thing!
Thanks CGN but I’ve already got a girly uprighty car. When I spend extended periods in Spain and the USA the lower humidity greatly improves my getting in and out of ‘normal’ cars.
I’m putting off the hip replacement as long as possible. Several painkillers, just simple paracetamol, helps a lot when I’m out walking. Daft as it sounds I’m currently Chair of a regional LDWA Group....gone are the days of back to back 30 milers, but I can still just about do 15/17 low level miles in my own time when the humidity is low.
In the Alps it isn’t much of a problem...15 day’s hut to hut with a single rest day doesn’t seem much of a problem. It’s this Y Dales horrible, wet, misty weather that really stuffs me.
And I ain’t giving up skiing (yet)
 If you were to choose one.... - CGNorwich
Well good luck for the future but ageing is an inexorable process. It catches up with us all. “Girly” cars are the future for us all most likely.
Do not go gentle into that good night
Old age should burn and rave at close of day,
Rage rage against the dying of the light

I’m doing my best...

LL Thomas
Latest Forum Posts