Motoring Discussion > Lorries and 50 MPH limit Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 28

Lorries and 50 MPH limit - movilogo
When there is 50 MPH limit on motorways, I have observed that even when I am travelling at 50 MPH (indicated ~53 MPH) lorries either tailgate me or overtake me.

In fact, frequently it becomes a scene where all cars are doing 50 MPH on lane 1 and lorries overtaking cars on lane 2.

Not all lorries drive in same way though I'd say over 50% do overtaking at 50 MPH limit motorways.

Do the lorries aim to cruise at 56 MPH irrespective of speed limits?

Lorries and 50 MPH limit - commerdriver
I guess the assumption is that 10% +2 will be applied and they will not be prosecuted.
 Lorries and 50 MPH limit - Fullchat
>>
Last edited by: Fullchat on Thu 20 Dec 18 at 11:22
 Lorries and 50 MPH limit - smokie
Are you one of those who cruises at 50ish in the middle lane when the inside one is empty on the basis that you are "assisting" others to not speed? That could be why you are tailgated.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 20 Dec 18 at 11:36
Nope :-) I always stick with lane 1 as this seems to be most fuel economic in rush hours.

But, when traffic is flowing normally (in 70 MPH limit), then it becomes

lane 1 = lorries
lane 2 = cars
lane 3 = maniacs

Lorries and 50 MPH limit - bathtub tom
Lorries have very accurate speedos, something to do with their tachographs I believe - Pat's no longer here to confirm this.
In these limits, I position myself behind one of these lorries, on the basis of they know what their doing and the cameras can't see me.
 Lorries and 50 MPH limit - VxFan
Some lorries will sit happily at 50mph all day. Some will sit happily at 56mph all day.

But some run like a dog anywhere in-between.

Time is also money. It can take some lorries an absolute age to get back up to 56mph if they've been slowed down by other drivers using their speedo thinking they're travelling at 50 mph, where in reality it's probably only 45 to 47 mph.

In short, unless there are speed cameras, keep with the flow of traffic rather than religiously to the speed limit.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 20 Dec 18 at 13:10
I think whenever there is 50 MPH limit, it is enforced with average speed cameras.

Lorries and 50 MPH limit - Bromptonaut
>> I think whenever there is 50 MPH limit, it is enforced with average speed cameras.
>>

Certainly case in works of any length, for example where smart motorway/all lane running is being installed.
 Lorries and 50 MPH limit - Zero
>> I think whenever there is 50 MPH limit, it is enforced with average speed cameras.

By no means universal or consistent. Even some of the ones with camera gantries tend not to be working, specially those in roadworks where the carriageway keeps being moved around.
 Lorries and 50 MPH limit - MD
>> Lorries have very accurate speedos, something to do with their tachographs I believe - Pat's
>> no longer here to confirm this.
>> In these limits, I position myself behind one of these lorries, on the basis of
>> they know what their doing and the cameras can't see me.
>>
Has Pat gorn then?
 Lorries and 50 MPH limit - sooty123
Has Pat gorn then?
>>

Yes, after an argument with the mods. Her account is suspended.
 Lorries and 50 MPH limit - R.P.
You're wrong, Lane 3 - BMW, Mercs and Audis.
 Lorries and 50 MPH limit - Runfer D'Hills
>> You're wrong, Lane 3 - BMW, Mercs and Audis.

Darned tooting right there RP!

Don't hate me, but I still get a little fizzy feeling from what I like to call the "salesman's gambit" which involves getting from an on ramp to lane three in one move under hard acceleration...

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 20 Dec 18 at 16:44
 Lorries and 50 MPH limit - tyrednemotional
>> Don't hate me, but I still get a little fizzy feeling from what I like
>> to call the "salesman's gambit" which involves getting from an on ramp to lane three
>> in one move under hard acceleration...
>>
.....without hitting the kerb.....
Ah shadupyouface !
;-)
>> Don't hate me, but I still get a little fizzy feeling from what I like
>> to call the "salesman's gambit" which involves getting from an on ramp to lane three
>> in one move under hard acceleration...

Being a BMW driver with superior horsepower, and already occupying the maniacs lane*, I get little fizzy feelings from seeing the lesser German machinery accelerating down the on ramp (its never UP the ramp they are a cylinder or two short of that feat) and then moving easily into place to block the final move of their "salesman's gambit"

The best part is that ones superior handling and horsepower can make the block look like a complete accident, even pretend to ignore them as tho they were never there.

* doing it in the middle lane and trapping them in the lorry lane is the icing on the cake however.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 21 Dec 18 at 08:23
On the contrary, up ramps are far better, from lane 3, the smuggos can't see you coming, the look of astonishment, disappointment and confusion on their faces is hilarious, as they ponder how it can be, having spent far too much money on a Stone Age engine, a funny paint job, and indeed melted their credit cards at the fuel pumps, there is suddenly a car in front of them that seems to have appeared mystically...

That's fizzy!

;-)
Listening to that slow witted dump truck rumble all day, I suppose one would drift off into fantasy land, but really time to wake up now Humph
>> You're wrong, Lane 3 - BMW, Mercs and Audis.

No, he was quite right when he described them as maniacs ;)
I am currently in a state of motoring shock. The trip computer displayed 40.1 mpg and 71 mph average just now after 50 odd miles on the motorway. I don't think it's broken, I have had to stop for a full english, purely for medicinal reasons you understand

The range on the fuel gage went from " you wanted to get how far?" To " Wow that's a long way!"

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 21 Dec 18 at 10:47
Wherever you are, I'd get back as soon as you can. I reckon this afternoon might be a bit of a mare on the motorways. I'm not moving today, just ringing customers to wish them a happy Christmas and reminding them that they do occasionally have to settle their bills...
I am in the sun with the White cliffs of Dover on one side of me,band the sea on the other

The Queue to get onto the Channel Tunnel is a bout a mile along the hard shoulder of the M20
 Lorries and 50 MPH limit - CGNorwich
Got the ferry from Dunkirk to Dover arrived at around 14.00 m20 m25 and m11 clear with no hold ups . Dartford crossing no queues. Was nice and sunny mid Channel but sea a bit rough!
 Lorries and 50 MPH limit - smokie
I just came down the M40 from Birmingham to High Wycombe and it was fine, despite the predictions, except where someone had stuffed their Tonka toy (may have been a Discovery) into the armco. The M4 westbound at J9 seemed good too, for 4:45 on a Friday!
Like CGN, I have just come up from the channel port, shot up the M20 and round the M25 traffic was fine, didn't get held up once.
 Lorries and 50 MPH limit - Ateca chris
Being a hgv driver myself I can say that when our Speedos reads 50mph we are going 50 .
Hgv's get there Speedos calibrated every 2 years unlike a car which never gets done.
Being high up I can see into cars,and those with a digital display say 50mph when I'm on cruise control at 50 overtaking.
>> Being a hgv driver myself I can say that when our Speedos reads 50mph we are going 50 .

But surely you still get the same speedo inaccuracy as cars, depending on whether you've got new tyres fitted, or worn ones?
 Lorries and 50 MPH limit - Dave_
>> surely you still get the same speedo inaccuracy as cars, depending on whether you've got new tyres fitted, or worn ones?

You do, yes, but when you're in an environment of other lorries all doing around 56mph you get to figure out how much of a discrepancy there is between vehicles.

Me, I stick my cruise on 83kph in 50mph roadworks. That puts me in the the fastest 20% of commercial vehicles (i.e. for every four HGVs I overtake, one other HGV will overtake me).
Latest Forum Posts