Motoring Discussion > Triumph - The Motorcycle Show - ITV 3 - Triumph Special Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 12

Triumph - The Motorcycle Show - ITV 3 - Triumph Special - R.P.
www.itv.com/hub/the-motorbike-show-specials/2a5288a0001

Zero's Mini thread reminded me of the this programme broadcast the other night. The feature on Triumph motorcycles is well worth seeing.

There is a glaring boob in the programme...see if you can spot it.
 Triumph - The Motorcycle Show - ITV 3 - Triumph Special - bathtub tom
A colleague would argue the biggest boob was the presenter, but he uses a different word for boob.
 Triumph - The Motorcycle Show - ITV 3 - Triumph Special - Ambo
Very interesting program but I did't see any examples of my own Triumph model, which must have been built in the mid-1950s. Decades on, I still bear traces of the bad leg burn I got from the exhaust when I went off and under the bike on a slippery Malaysian estate road.
I reckon any true, old motorcyclist can show off their scars. My knees and legs are a testimony to this, but I've still got both of them, unlike several of my surviving old mates, that are still with us!
 Triumph - The Motorcycle Show - ITV 3 - Triumph Special - Zero
>> I reckon any true, old motorcyclist can show off their scars.

Often Comes back to bite you in later life.

My recent broken hip was probably caused by a motorcycle accident 40 odd years earlier. At the time it was a bad bruise and stitched up. 40 years later it was a contusion with loss of blood supply and dead bone.

My motorcyle hall of fame (in addition to the above) is broken collar bone, broken nose, shed loads of stitches and various interesting road rash scars.
>> shed loads of stitches and various interesting road rash scars.

The old RAC/ACU training scheme (ask pugugly) saved me from a lot of that, but not all!
Never put your hands or knees down, roll on to your back and take the weight on your shoulders and feet.
 Triumph - The Motorcycle Show - ITV 3 - Triumph Special - Zero
The above assumes you are wearing the correct protective gear. Mine was never more than a parka or a denim jacket.

Oh

And never try to get up until you are positive you have stopped.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 15 Dec 18 at 14:34
>> The above assumes you are wearing the correct protective gear. Mine was never more than
>> a parka or a denim jacket.

What else was available in the '60s on a budget? Mine was an imitation leather jacket (PVC).
Perhaps I was lucky?
As I've got older, I've become less bold. I've been lucky and only had two "serious" offs. Nothing damaged or broken (touch wood) the last accident on the Scooter hurt my left shoulder which was achy for a couple of years. OK now though. Lots of injuries can be avoided with decent kit - I'm rather obsessional..
My last (hopefully in both meanings of the word) I was on my Majesty Scooter - I was wearing proper (Triumph branded boots - wrote one off), Hein Gerick leather pants (gouge marks in the groin area - Matron ! - My BMW Rallye textile jacket, no marks and Triumph branded gloves with armoured knuckles - some gravel rash....I didn't hit my head which was a bonus.
 Triumph - The Motorcycle Show - ITV 3 - Triumph Special - Bromptonaut
>> I reckon any true, old motorcyclist can show off their scars. My knees and legs
>> are a testimony to this, but I've still got both of them, unlike several of
>> my surviving old mates, that are still with us!

Bloke who used to live in this village was a police motorcyclist. Lost one leg below the knee after a collision with a Pheasant. Coped with it incredibly well and after being invalided out re-trained as a teacher.

He was also keen on Amateur Dramatics. Remember him playing a baddy who kids slowed by kicking him in shin; they did without any 'pulling' or visual tricks.
 Triumph - The Motorcycle Show - ITV 3 - Triumph Special - Ambo
I think a remote uncle of mine might have claimed a record in bike-related bone breaks but had not lost his phlegmatic cool when I met him, in retirement. He was a speedway and grass track rider pre-WWII and had broken most of them in one event or another. He was a member of the winning team in some Belgian event where the winners were presented with gold watches. These were placed in the cylinders of their machines and the heads bolted back on before the journey home, for safe keeping. He said.

(I can't think how my previous posting got printed twice.)
 Triumph - The Motorcycle Show - ITV 3 - Triumph Special - VxFan
>> (I can't think how my previous posting got printed twice.)

Duplicate removed now.
Latest Forum Posts