Motoring Discussion > Insurance - how much? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 12

Insurance - how much? - Zero
As you know, Nicole is changing car. Moving from an al in lease scheme back to her own, so needed to pay insurance again.

Aviva have quoted £247 fully comp, (snatched their arms off) for a 1.4 Polo. Even includes me as a named driver. Now I have now doubt they will try and fleece her come renewal, but thats competitive.

That price was obtained on the phone, the aviva website was much dearer, and compare the Suricata suricatta, a small mammal, member of the mongoose family.com was a long way off.

I'll let you know in November if they try the "screw you on renewal" trick in November, as mine is due then.
 Insurance - how much? - Fenlander
Do you mean that's cheap because she is going back to zero/minimal no claims?

Obviously know nothing of your age/record/circumstances but my new C5 was only £269 fully comp 4mths ago with one named driver (who had 6 points at renewal)..... mind you the engine's only a whisker bigger than the Polo :-)
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 14:21
That was with NO no claims bonus.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 14:25
 Insurance - how much? - rtj70
Should have got a letter from the employer or lease company stating she had no accidents in x number of years. You then get a discount on motor insurance that is the equivalent of a no claims bonus.

Think it's called a Letter of Credence by the way.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 14:32
>> Should have got a letter from the employer or lease company stating she had no
>> accidents in x number of years.

she did.

Have claims that is.
 Insurance - how much? - Fenlander
Ah well that was good then. Having said that we found when I came off lease a few years back they gave about 40% into discount. Seems as long as you have a sound driving history they don't make folks start at the bottom any more.
 Insurance - how much? - rtj70
Seems a very good price without any no claims or equivalent. I bet they hope to stitch you up on renewal but we know you won't be fooled.
 Insurance - how much? - R.P.
I was screwed on renewal last year by a company affiliated to my professional body - I did some punting around and on a whim phoned Carole Nash where my motorcycle fleet is insured - they offered me 20% off for being current customer and rolled in recovery and key insurance - came in at £150 quid cheaper than my then current insurers - so I switched. Come renewal I fully expected to be screwed again but it was the same premium this year. Now binned my RAC cover which also saves me 120 quid a year so it's real bargain time. One thing since finishing work I now have plenty of time to compare the market (not lack of capitals !)
 Insurance - how much? - Bill Payer
>> That price was obtained on the phone, the aviva website was much dearer, and compare
>> the Suricata suricatta, a small mammal, member of the mongoose family.com was a long >> way off.

Hmmm - that strikes me as very unusual. Check the paperwork carefully when it arrives.
>> Hmmm - that strikes me as very unusual. Check the paperwork carefully when it arrives.

It has and I have. Its not suprising, Direct lines telephone quote is different from the web site one, as was my insurance with aviva.
 Insurance - how much? - Londoner
My insurance is due in a couple of weeks, and my current insurers have hiked the premium by over 10%. They want just over 500 pounds now!

I am not happy with this, and as my details were already registered with three different comparison websites, I gave them all a go. The cheapest quote is just over £700?

What gives? My details are the same as last year, except the car is worth less. Why a jump of over £200 in the best quote?
 Insurance - how much? - -
Very good price Z, don't blame you snapping that up.

Ref L's post, as we've discussed before with scamsRus, uninsured drivers and ordinary punters feeling the need to get compensation for trivial things and premium courtesy cars it's no surprise that insurances are spiralling.
 Insurance - how much? - Bill Payer
>> Its not suprising,

It is to me - I must have done scores, possibly even hundreds of insurance enquiries over the years. For the last 5 years I've been doing the insurance for 4 cars.

I can't remember a phone quote being cheaper than an online one except when there's been toing and froing to match a competitor price.

What you do get with Aviva is widely different prices depending on the route into them. Earlier this year I found RAC the cheapest, Aviva direct middling and Mercedes highest. When I called Aviva to see if maybe I could beat the RAC/Aviva price they coudn't even get close to their own web quote.

I had this with Liverpool Victoria too a couple of years ago when their online system murdered the renewal quote. When I called there was apparently nothing they could or would do and they cheerfully accepted the cancellation and I took out a new policy on line.
Latest Forum Posts