Motoring Discussion > Pedalling in search of cheaper insurance? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 7

Pedalling in search of cheaper insurance? - hawkeye
www.regit.cars/car-news/bold-road-safety-action-plan-for-drivers-cyclists-pedestrians_71653

Will it work? Do cyclists make safer drivers? I cycle with my son sometimes and he has become a lot more savvy since becoming a cycling commuter in June (2018).

As an ex-cycling instructor, I passed Bikeability level 3 as part of instructor training but I can't find my certificate.
 Pedalling in search of cheaper insurance? - Fullchat
Some of the traits of cyclists I would not like to see transferred to 4 wheels :))

However being a two wheeled road user powered/unpowered makes you much more aware of your vulnerability and heights your awareness of other road users and road conditions. The idea has some merit. Wish I'd undertaken Cycling Proficiency when I was at school.

However riding a motorcycle also gives you extra skills/awareness so perhaps they should also consider this.
 Pedalling in search of cheaper insurance? - VxFan
>> However riding a motorcycle also gives you extra skills/awareness so perhaps they should also consider this.

Within a few mins of my first ever driving lesson, my instructor asked if I rode a motorbike because he noticed I was paying more attention at junctions, etc. Even if I had the right of way, I still looked left and right and read the road ahead.
He said that most of his pupils that rode motorbikes had a sixth sense about them and made better drivers. Self preservation skills, I think he made reference to.
 Pedalling in search of cheaper insurance? - Runfer D'Hills
I've been riding a bike for as long as I can remember. I grew up in Edinburgh, even then a busy, traffic infested city. From the age of 9, I cycled to and from school, 5 miles each way into and out of the city centre, and during my teenage years went everywhere night and day on my bike. I still cycle a lot, but mostly off road these days.

Passed my driving test at 17 which is 43 years ago now and so far, ( touch wood, rabbits feet etc ) I've never had an accident on the road on my bike or in the car.

I can't make the same claim about my off road mountain biking record I'm afraid! My backside has hit a hillside often enough to develop callouses!

;-)
 Pedalling in search of cheaper insurance? - No FM2R
I'm not sure how much difference my cycling or erstwhile motorcycling makes to my car driving, but I know how much nervousness and wariness my car driving experience causes when I am cycling.

In terms of road safety impact, I guess I'd much rather two-wheel drivers have experience of 4-wheels rather than vice versa. Accepting that in fact to have experience of both is best.
 Pedalling in search of cheaper insurance? - CGNorwich

>> In terms of road safety impact, I guess I'd much rather two-wheel drivers have experience
>> of 4-wheels rather than vice versa.

Perhaps those cyclists who chose not to have any lights at night might then understand how virtually invisible they are to drivers an unlit road, especially when a vehicle is coming towards you with its headlight on. Passed one on a country road an hour ago.
 Pedalling in search of cheaper insurance? - sooty123
Perhaps those cyclists who chose not to have any lights at night might then understand
>> how virtually invisible they are to drivers an unlit road, especially when a vehicle is
>> coming towards you with its headlight on. Passed one on a country road an hour
>> ago.
>>

When I lived out in the sticks in Lincolnshire, i used to often commute in the small hours. I saw similar regularly, I can't think they were all non drivers.
Some people just have a different attitude to risk regardless that the rest of us think them nutters.
 Pedalling in search of cheaper insurance? - Fenlander
>>>cyclists who chose not to have any lights at night might then understand how virtually invisible they are to drivers

Yes like the situation we experience frequently driving away from a gig in Cambridge around 11pm to run the gauntlet of unlit cyclists flying out all ways from the shadows. If you only apply an average level of concentration then at least one would be fair game each trip.

And on the flipside those with the stupid helmet mounted near motorcycle brightness LED units which by the nature of their head movement flashes into your eyes taking out your night vision for anything else around them.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 7 Dec 18 at 10:31
Latest Forum Posts