Motoring Discussion > Road Rage -incident Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 17

Road Rage -incident - BobbyG
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8549199.stm

Further evidence why police sometimes close the roads after a fatal accident.
Coincidentally, I was just driving past this spot today in my Transit when I heard this verdict on the news.
 Road Rage -incident - Bellboy
It specifically says in my new inurance schedule i received today that i am not insured if i ram someone in a road rage tit for tat
 Road Rage -incident - Robin O'Reliant
A good reason for not using the horn or giving the finger to somebody because of their actions on the road. Anyone with a serious criminal past would just as likely use there vehicle as a weapon against someone as they would use their fists or a glass over a perceived slight in a pub.

You just don't know who you might be dealing with.
 Road Rage -incident - Iffy
...a member of a notorious crime family...whose father runs a Glasgow garage...

Good to see the motor trade preserving its dodgy reputation north of the border.

Road Rage -incident - Londoner
The advice given on this thread is all good stuff, and yet part of me thinks that we are just letting the bullies and the badly behaved win.

I remember as a nipper, an adult would have no fear of telling children off for misbehaving. And the kids would just say "Sorry, Mister" and slink off. (Well, at least I did).

Nowadays, you'd be frightened to say anything in case the kids retaliated violently. It's the same on the roads. You daren't even sound your horn at someone who nearly causes an accident in case its a nutter.
 Road Rage -incident - L'escargot
I can't help but think that anyone who is the victim of road rage must have done something to annoy the other driver.
Snaily, from the article

"Advocate depute Iain McSporran said Mr Fleeman had initially gestured at Lyons because of his erratic driving.

He said: "It appears that the accused's response to this gesture is what led to Mr Fleeman's death."

If the guy was high on drink and drugs, I guess his driving would be erratic. Who knows what the gesture was, it could have been a simple flash of the lights, a "get off the road" wave, who knows.

Didn't deserve death though as a result.
terrible way to die at the hands of a bully in a transit type van
of course vans are neved used to bully on our congested roads are they?
think about your last journey
im keeping schtum as being a road user i know nowt............
And at what point was I bullying in my journey?
One example will do
>> And at what point was I bullying in my journey?
>> One example will do
>>
>>> i wasnt trying to suggest you were, honest, i really do apologise if it came across to you as that , all i was saying is that transit type vans are used as wedges on a daily basis by men who think they are the most important beings on the road,they are usually on the phone too
>> Snaily from the article
>>
>> "Advocate depute Iain McSporran said Mr Fleeman had initially gestured at Lyons ..........

It was intended as a a general comment on being the victim of road rage. I said anyone not just, or specifically, Mr Freeman.
 Road Rage -incident - FotheringtonTomas
>> I can't help but think that anyone who is the victim of road rage must
>> have done something to annoy the other driver.

That doesn't justify "road rage", though.
>> >> I can't help but think that anyone who is the victim of road rage
>> must
>> >> have done something to annoy the other driver.
>>
>> That doesn't justify "road rage" though.
>>

I'm not saying that annoying another driver justifies road rage. I meant that if you don't annoy another driver you probably won't be the victim of road rage. I go out of my way to not annoy other drivers, and I've never been the victim of road rage. Simples.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 5 Mar 10 at 10:36
 Road Rage -incident - henry k
>>...if you don't annoy another driver you probably won't be the victim of road rage.
>>
Long may your luck hold
>>
I go out of my way to not annoy other drivers, and I've never been the victim of road rage.
Simples.
>>
I have experienced road rage but avoided any physical damage apart from a bikers boot aimed at my passenger dooor.
I have experienced abuse from drivers who have been totally in the wrong but thought they were right.
IMO there are a lot of very strange "personalities" on the road and I am now better prepared to take what I consider suitable ( defensive of course) action to ensure my survival.
Even in my area there are pockets of dwellings that I am very wary of !
 Road Rage -incident - SteelSpark
>> I meant that if you
>> don't annoy another driver you probably won't be the victim of road rage. I go
>> out of my way to not annoy other drivers and I've never been the victim
>> of road rage. Simples.

I think it is very difficult to drive safely and never annoy other, more impatient, drivers.

However, I think that the issue is more to do with not making it personal, which is what use of the horn and gestures can do.

If somebody was in your way in the pub, you might politely ask them to move, you certainly wouldn't start shouting at them and expect to not run into trouble quite quickly.

Well, it is impossible to have a quiet word with another driver, so the horn and exaggerated gesturing is what people fall back on. That is the equivalent of shouting at somebody to move in a pub. Nine times out of ten you would probably shout at a guy who just wants a quiet life, but the tenth time you get the guy who takes exception AND wants to make something of it.

The situation is made worse by the fact that people wrongly feel safer in their cars and so more likely to rebuke others. As this case shows, if the other guy has a vehicle too, you are not as safe as you think.
 Road Rage -incident - ....
I'm not sure whether to stick this in here or the observations thread.

What I have observed myself is road rage increases with the introduction of limits (I'm talking specifically about motorways here). I frequently drive in Germany and generally (not always) speaking if someone sees another car catching up they will move over when appropriate.
As soon as I cross the border in the Netherlands it is like they go out of their way to obstruct in a similar manner to "the speed limit is 70 and I'm doing 70, nothing is coming past me in the outside lane today" attitude common in the UK.

If someone wants to go faster than the law dictates why do individuals take it upon themselves to act as officers of the law and obstruct the other ?
They are placing themself in danger for what ?
 Road Rage -incident - FotheringtonTomas
>> obstruct(ion) in a similar manner to "the speed limit is 70 and I'm doing 70
>> nothing is coming past me in the outside lane today"

That's easy, just boot it and overtake on the inside.
 Road Rage -incident - Falkirk Bairn
Paul Lyons is off to jail, his father's garage was the scene of a murder & 2 x shootings a few years back. A few months back ANother gangster was shot dead in Asda carpark in Nth Glasgow - it is said he had connections to the previous murder @ garage.

Altogether an unsavoury mix of people and jail is the best place for him.
Latest Forum Posts