Motoring Discussion > About time! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 35

About time! - Old Navy
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6421283/Breathtaking-footage-shows-Met-polices-new-anti-robber-squad-targeting-moped-muggers.html

This one is a bit naive.

One incredulous rider raises his hands in indignation after he is sent clattering to the ground, and another told police: 'I took my helmet off so I thought you'd stop chasing me.'
 About time! - Duncan
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6421283/Breathtaking-footage-shows-Met-polices-new-anti-robber-squad-targeting-moped-muggers.html

Could you please tell that awful newspaper that the plural of "moped" does not require an apostrophe?
 About time! - Old Navy
>> Could you please tell that awful newspaper that the plural of "moped" does not require
>> an apostrophe?
>>

If it is so important to you, do it yourself.

I don't care.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 23 Nov 18 at 14:54
 About time! - Pat
Duncan has servants, didn't you know ON?

Pat
 About time! - Old Navy
He must have if he has time to get excited about an ink dot.
 About time! - Stroudie
Just saw some videos of these "dismountings", and thoroughly approve.
However, to follow the off thread comment, the misuse of the "Grocer's apostrophe" does get to me.
I would never take my car to an MoT station advertising "MOT's"
 About time! - Fullchat
This tactic is getting full approval in retired Traffic circles. There is however some concern as to the level of support when one of the toe rags gets hurt.
 About time! - Old Navy
My thoughts too, after the poo hits the fan it is subject to gravity and ends up on the guy holding the steering wheel.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Sep 19 at 10:44
 About time! - Bromptonaut
>> This tactic is getting full approval in retired Traffic circles. There is however some concern
>> as to the level of support when one of the toe rags gets hurt.

As predicted:

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/04/met-police-driver-faces-criminal-investigation-after-ramming-moped

About time! - zippy
And here...
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46440172

Madness. I recall a few years ago firearms officers threatened to stop doing firearms duty when an officer was threatened with prosecution for shooting someone. www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3367467/Incensed-gun-cops-ll-lay-weapons-step-duty-protest-officer-shot-gangster-charged.html

Oversight is required but leeway needs to be given otherwise police officers will fear arresting anyone as they will fear prosecution for GBH when handcuffs bruise the suspect's wrists.
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 4 Dec 18 at 14:17
 About time! - Cliff Pope
>> the misuse of the "Grocer's apostrophe" does get
>> to me.
>>

If it's just the one grocer who misuses it, you could avoid him.
 About time! - bathtub tom
>>Could you please tell that awful newspaper that the plural of "moped" does not require an apostrophe?
I believe 'moped' is an abbreviation of 'MOtorised PEDal cycle' and as such the apostrophe could be argued as correct.

>>I would never take my car to an MoT station advertising "MOT's"
Similarly Ministry Of Transport.

Pedant mode off.
 About time! - Haywain
"Pedant mode off."

Shouldn't that be 'Mopedant mode off'?
 About time! - Haywain
There would be less likelihood of damage to the police car if it were fitted with a rotating gun-turret.
 About time! - Manatee
>> There would be less likelihood of damage to the police car if it were fitted
>> with a rotating gun-turret.

I was just musing about a lasso style accessory for the police car, to yank the riders off the mopeds. That led me to the idea of turret-mounted taser.

Wasn't there an idea a few years ago to zap fleeing vehicles with electromagnetic radiation and disrupt the ECUs etc? Do mopeds use microprocessors?
 About time! - Old Navy
Aussie style Roo bars or US Highway Patrol car push bars would cut down body damage. To police vehicles. :-)

Electronic ECU jammers could cause some chaos in an urban environment.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 24 Nov 18 at 07:42
 About time! - henry k
>> Aussie style Roo bars or US Highway Patrol car push bars would cut down body
>> damage. To police vehicles. :-)
>>
Yes but....
It rather gives the game away on a Q car.:-)
There is already concern about covering the " hidden" blue lights so scroats do not recognise such cars.i
 About time! - zippy
>> There is already concern about covering the " hidden" blue lights so scroats do not
>> recognise such cars.i
>>

Yes, because they may be difficult to see when in use, by innocent drivers and therefore cause accidents.
 About time! - Ambo
Way to go! The clip is like an extract from a movie - "Mad Met II" maybe. I hope they extend the technique to attackers on foot and runaway cars.

But, seriously, (If I must) how odd that there have not been instantaneous screams of protest from people claiming police brutality, disregard of human rights etc.
 About time! - bathtub tom
>>But, seriously, (If I must) how odd that there have not been instantaneous screams of protest from people claiming police brutality, disregard of human rights etc.

I'm sure there has, but not in the areas you and I read.
>> But, seriously, (If I must) how odd that there have not been instantaneous screams of
>> protest from people claiming police brutality, disregard of human rights etc.

I've contemplated that point. Provided it's done only by officers with relevant training in an approved technique including rules as to relative speeds, hazards etc then I don't think there's an issue.

About time! - Fullchat
Likewise have contemplated the point. In the first instance it sounded like the answer to all the problems and there was an enthusiastic reception in retired Police circles.

However as some practical thinking has replaced the initial euphoria there is some trepidation.
No amount of training can reduce the impact of the body on the road surface/furniture. Minimise the consequences but not completely eliminate them.

So when the first scrote cracks his head on the kerb edge or lampost the knives will be out. The little darlings will have have their very supportive families with a media platform and the IOPC will be rubbing their hands in glee. A storm of trouble for an Officer just trying to do their job.
 About time! - Old Navy
As I said above, blame is subject to gravity. The police driver ends up explaining himself to a judge with his bosses desperately trying to distance themselves from any fallout.
 About time! - Haywain
"So when the first scrote cracks his head on the kerb edge or lampost the knives will be out."

Whilst I am delighted to hear that the scrotes are being dealt some medicine, I fear for plod if something goes wrong. After all, it could be said that scrotes were 'running away'; Tony Martin was put inside for firing at career burglars who were 'running away'.

It reminds me of an incident some years ago when my student son was cycling furiously down a London street to college wearing a hoodie and carrying his laptop in a rucksack on his back. Suddenly, a black Audi pulled in front of him forcing him onto the pavement and knocking him off his bicycle; four officers jumped out of the car and pinned him to the wall. He was shaken, but undamaged. It turned out that someone answering his description had been stealing laptops from houses and using a bicycle for his getaway.
 About time! - sooty123
> I was just musing about a lasso style accessory for the police car, to yank
>> the riders off the mopeds. That led me to the idea of turret-mounted taser.
>>
>

Here's a lasso style system not sure if it's actually in use though.

youtu.be/edmmg9Zf51E
 About time! - Ambo
That looks very promising, surely a good way to go.
 About time! - DP
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46440172

Ridiculous!
 About time! - sooty123
That copper at 12 sec wasn't messing about!
 About time! - Haywain
"Ridiculous!"

..... and then I re-read 'could face criminal charges' ..... 'could' being the operative word. Hopefully those officers will be fully exonerated and given squad cars with knives on their wheels like Boadicea.

Grrrr - 'moped' is another one of those words that has changed its meaning since I was a kid; those vehicles stolen/used by the crims don't look much like my old Philips Gadabout.
>> ..... and then I re-read 'could face criminal charges' ..... 'could' being the operative word.

Yup. Seems to be a case where rules may have been broken and IOPC etc are looking into it.

If the youth knocked off really had serious head injuries (in my book brain damage) I doubt he'd have been discharged or be fit to plead.
 About time! - Zero

>> Grrrr - 'moped' is another one of those words that has changed its meaning since
>> I was a kid; those vehicles stolen/used by the crims don't look much like my
>> old Philips Gadabout.

You are an old fogey. The term "moped" became a derisory term when the FS1E arrived about 45 years ago.
 About time! - Haywain
"You are an old fogey."

So are you.

"The term "moped" became a derisory term when the FS1E arrived about 45 years ago."

The Fizzy had pedals (albeit vestigial) - it was, by definition, a moped. From what I can see, the things used by the crims are scooters ......... unless the definition of scooter has changed as well 3:-(
 About time! - No FM2R
Did you know it was actually an FS1? The model in England had -E, France had -F, Portugal -P etc. etc.

Moped originally came from Motor/Pedal.

The definition of a moped now has nothing to do with pedals anymore, it is <50cc and <28mph I think.

I tried pedalling a Fizzy once, I think I got about 5ft. You had to pedal an awful lot to get anywhere, and I couldn't go fast enough to keep balance.
 About time! - Dutchie
I don't think they were sold in the U.K but the Solex was a proper moped.It had a little engine at the front on top of the front wheel.

You could cycle the thing without the engine ,it worked but very heavy.A moped had to have pedals on the continent for it to be able to ride it as a bicycle.

About time! - No FM2R
The whole article is a fantasy.

~No statements have been made, no declarations have been made. They have taken what little they do know and put a whole bunch of not much to create a newsworthy page.

Typical BBC.
 About time! - Fullchat
Nothing new there.
Latest Forum Posts