Motoring Discussion > Additional tyre marks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 8

Additional tyre marks - bathtub tom
I was having a look for a rattle tonight and noticed a couple of my tyres have got markings I've never seen before.

In the tread is a number '8' that looks like it's been applied by a series of needles and adjacent is a series of blocks that goes halfway across each sipe with a 2mm depth and an 'X' on it. The block is a little way away from the regular 1.6mm tread wear indicators. The sidewall has a little raindrop and an 'X'.

I'm guessing the 8 indicates initial tread depth and the additional tread wear indicators are the recommended minimum tread depth for wet weather?

i353.photobucket.com/albums/r370/bathtubtom/Tyre%20x/S6300729.jpg

I'll have to read the instructions for macro!
 Additional tyre marks - rtj70
Well the wear blocks are standard. All tyres have these for 2mm. You can feel/see the depth limit. That's common knowledge surely?

Edit: I see these are in addition to the legal wear blocks.... so what make is this?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 31 Aug 10 at 23:54
 Additional tyre marks - smokie
Could the start depth when new be 8mm?
 Additional tyre marks - henry k
>> Could the start depth when new be 8mm?
>>
For the " rich " markets and more tread for other markets?
I've RTFB and found the macro function. These photo's have been added:

i353.photobucket.com/albums/r370/bathtubtom/Tyre%20x/S6300740.jpg

i353.photobucket.com/albums/r370/bathtubtom/Tyre%20x/S6300738.jpg

I hope they make it clearer!

rtj70. They're Matador 'ditch finders' made in the Slovak republic. I know! I wanted Michelin, but I'm a poor pensioner - alms anyone? ;>)

henry k. What's the tread depth of the new tyres you buy?
 Additional tyre marks - -
Nokian tyres (quality stuff if a little unkown here) have numbers in a row in the tread from 2 right up to 8, as the tread wears down the higher numbers obviously gradually disappear.
Good system and should be mandatory for all makes imo.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 21:51
Thanks gb.

I can see how that 8 is morphing to a 6 and even a 5. I'm curious as to how lower numbers appear. Perhaps more vigorous use of the handbrake on corners will show me. ;>)
 Additional tyre marks - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
An interesting idea. The individual parts of the number are moulded at different depths to give the countdown. But you knew that already.
 Additional tyre marks - -
>> An interesting idea. The individual parts of the number are moulded at different depths to
>> give the countdown.

The Nokians had a row of numbers that are obviously stamped progressively deeper, simple accurate and no disputing, clever idea though one changing number as the tyre wears.
Latest Forum Posts