Motoring Discussion > This can only go well... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 23

This can only go well... - Crankcase
Seems a bit odd to link to another forum, but I'm sure there's going to be some entertainment ahead.

Chap who has just bought a VW Phaeton for 2k...

www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1776463
 This can only go well... - Bobby
I would love to have the balls and spare cash to do something like that.

Not quite bangernomics but I am more inclined to possibly follow a friend who buys relatively new beemers with 100k on the clock, at hugely reduced prices and runs them for two years and claims not to lose too much money at all on them.
 This can only go well... - Zero
>> I would love to have the balls and spare cash to do something like that.

And a fully equipped garage with car lift.
In my own case it would be my local indie......
He comes with a thing called labour charges
Very low though.......
 This can only go well... - Old Navy
About half London prices.
>> Very low though.......

Its hourly, a lot of the jobs on the Pharton are long and complicated* 10 x very low is a lot.

*which is why they are silly cheap outside warranty.
 This can only go well... - No FM2R
I cannot remember the figures exactly now, but to replace a £14 pipe on the power steering there was a £1,400 labour charge. Though just about everything was under the superb warranty.

I loved my Phaeton very much, Outstanding car. Though of course these days it's not so far ahead of the pack as it was.

However, I sold it when the warranty was close to expiring. Not because there was anything at all wrong with it, there wasn't. But the thought of anything going wrong out of warrant was terrifying.

Much as I love banger motoring, especially older high-mileage, high end execs, you have to make sure that if you're buying a Phaeton out of warranty then you're doing it for money that you can afford to throw away if it goes badly wrong.

Had a chat with my indie whilst he was working on my daughter's car - he said with my budget and desire to have an SUV type with aito, that I should go BMW or Merc and dont be afraid of high mileages.

Says the X3 is an understated car and even at high mileages, the running costs are very reasonable.....

Now to waste a few hours on autotrader (purely for curiosity sake).....
 This can only go well... - R.P.
X3 is a fine motor. Don't see that many these days in lieu of X1s and X5s.
RP, when I have looked a bit closer, the old X1 (in my eyes) looks quite awful and had that empty hatch at the top of its dashboard. That model and shape seemed to continue through till the new and current shape X1 came out which is still holding its price.

The X3 seems to be more pleasant on the eye from around 2011 and there are a few around in the sub 15k market. Interestingly it would appear that some earlier models didn’t have Bluetooth!

But most I have seen on AT have front and rear sensors, heated seats, sat nav (though will be yonks out of date) I drive etc.

The X5 is just too big for my needs!
 This can only go well... - Runfer D'Hills
X3?

Girl's car innit?

;-)
 This can only go well... - Bill Payer
>> The X3 seems to be more pleasant on the eye from around 2011 and there
>> are a few around in the sub 15k market. Interestingly it would appear that some
>> earlier models didn’t have Bluetooth!
>>
Bear in mind if you get the wrong combination of suspenion and wheels / tyres the ride on X3 & X5 can be horrendous. Fine if that's what you want but you hear of people selling them as they just can't live with it.
 This can only go well... - Boxsterboy
>> Bear in mind if you get the wrong combination of suspenion and wheels / tyres
>> the ride on X3 & X5 can be horrendous. Fine if that's what you want
>> but you hear of people selling them as they just can't live with it.
>>

Indeed. Friends had an X5 M-Sport that they got rid off sharpish because of the harsh suspension after their previous XC90.

>> Indeed. Friends had an X5 M-Sport that they got rid off sharpish because of the
>> harsh suspension after their previous XC90.

What an earth is the point of a "more sporty SUV" it can only end up as bad.
Rubber band tyres are quite common on these beasts..
>> Rubber band tyres are quite common on these beasts..

Yup, we end up with a vehicle that is not sports (because its suspension travel is too much and the centre of gravity is too high) and not a utility because it cant go everywhere you want to go and get traction, and is too hard riding to be comfortable.

Charley Boorman wanted a reliable 4x4 for his Paris Dakar support team. They eschewed the usual choices and plumped for X5s to cross the deserts. They obviously changed the tyres though ! :-)
>> RP, when I have looked a bit closer, the old X1 (in my eyes) looks
>> quite awful and had that empty hatch at the top of its dashboard. That model
>> and shape seemed to continue through till the new and current shape X1 came out
>> which is still holding its price.
>>
>> The X3 seems to be more pleasant on the eye from around 2011 and there
>> are a few around in the sub 15k market. Interestingly it would appear that some
>> earlier models didn’t have Bluetooth!

Now you see, this is where you need to know your BMW model numbers.

X3 E83 2003-2010
X3 F25 2011-2017

X1 E84 2009-2015
X1 F48 2016 - present
F25 it is then!!!!
 This can only go well... - Bill Payer
>> In my own case it would be my local indie......
>>
I think you'd have to be the local indie to buy a car like this.

Having said that, the ones I know of generally run fairly ordinary models.
 This can only go well... - PeterS
I’ll be following with interest... My time, albeit only 6 or 7 moths, with an 18year old Audi A4.2 Quattro was remarkably uneventful!
I'm always wondering about my next car.....it's now floating between an X3, an XC40 (which I have to say I'm very drawn to) or another 3 Series. I looked at prices for nearly new X3s and they are very firm.

I bought my 2009 (ex demo) X1 almost on impulse, it was a fine car - but that particular version of the 2.0litre diesel was as rough as anything, I never really bonded with it...If it was a choice between an X5 (far too big and a little bit...er....you know) it would be the X3. The 335 has the same engine/drivetrain as an X5 but its suit is a little sharper. Volvo's current range is beautiful looking...
Latest Forum Posts