Motoring Discussion > Hertz one way rentals Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 13

Hertz one way rentals - Bobby
www.hertz.co.uk/p/hertzone#utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=hertzoneglasgow&utm_content=tvc

Didn’t know this existed. Not quite sure how you could plan around the possible availability but might be useful for someone!
 Hertz one way rentals - Tigger
Interesting idea - and it has the potential to be a win:win.

I did note: "With all journeys we include Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Theft Protection (TP). In the event of an incident, an excess will apply" and "Exactly like a normal rental, you can opt for the excess waiver Super Cover to complement the insurances that are already included. Additional charges apply."
 Hertz one way rentals - Crankcase
Looks good I thought. Their website front page says:

Sorry, there are currently no Hertz One car available. Journeys are added regularly, so please check again soon.

Hmm.

Hertz one way rentals - CGNorwich
Why would one want to hire a car for a one way trip to a random destination on a random date?
 Hertz one way rentals - Zero
Its called adventure and spontaneity.
 Hertz one way rentals - CGNorwich
Ah, Not keen on spontaneity.. Never sure how to plan for it.

Hertz one way rentals - sherlock47
Probably a hangover idea inherited from our American cousins. In the 70s it was easy in the states to get a 'delivery car' for long distance trips - sometimes from a hire car company or an agency moving cars for private individuals or companies. In 1974 I put 4000miles on a car in about 2 weeks delivering from East coast to West Coast. The private owner was delighted to receive it intact. Only cost to me was peanuts for petrol :)

I suspect in the UK there are some journeys that attract one way hires that require companies to reposition stock. Distribution of new vehicles may be a possibilty too. If we watch the link we will find out what are common routes.
 Hertz one way rentals - commerdriver
May also be the hire company trying to keep the balance of car types right in some locations.
Back in the 80s I used to get a lot of upgrades when doing a 1 way car hire from an airport as they wanted to shift higher group cars back to town centre locations.
 Hertz one way rentals - smokie
A year or so back I looked at doing a one way in the States in a RV (motorhome), actually delivering a new one.

They were not ungenerous with the mileage costs and although there was a specified delivery time and date there would have been time for some sightseeing along the way (i.e. a day or two extra on 3 day trip IIRC)

One thing which put me off was the factory where you had to collect was many many miles from anywhere so not sure how I'd have got there!!
 Hertz one way rentals - Bobby
Just checked link again - a whole load of rentals available now. Some vans, some cars
 Hertz one way rentals - rtj70
So you could get a car for 2 days to go from Glasgow to Gatwick. Taxi :-)
 Hertz one way rentals - smokie
Not bad I suppose, if you are going that way.

Talking of which, and allowing for a bit of thread drift, I went onto one of legacylad's recommended Spanish car hire sites yesterday and they had cars for three days hire from today at Faro for €0.43. Prices have shot up since though - three days from tomorrow is now €4.19. www.doyouspain.com/formulario.asp?idioma=EN&ps=none&stl=DyS

Hertz one way rentals - legacylad
Last Sunday I noticed that Jet2 had flights departing LBA > Alicante on both Monday & Tuesday for £25. A friend of mine is staying in that part of the world, so I considered flying out ( I’m good at spontaneity). Car hire, Monday> Saturday, @ Alicante, with Firefly Via DoYouSpain for a Golf/Leon/ Focus, full to full albeit limited mileage, was €2.03.
I’m in the middle of a painting project and off to the Cansries next Tuesday so decided against.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 8 Nov 18 at 07:39
 Hertz one way rentals - Duncan
>> I’m in the middle of a painting project and off to the Cansries next Tuesday
>> so decided against.

Good job it's not a writing project.
Latest Forum Posts