Motoring Discussion > spotted on Google maps Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 16

spotted on Google maps - PeterS
Not sure if this is strictly motoring, but google maps was referenced in an earlier thread in motoring, so why not:

www.google.com/maps?q=50.857200,-0.651443&hl=en-GB&gl=uk&shorturl

I mean, it must be a reasonably frequent occurrence, but I’ve never encounter it!

And if you wondered why I was looking there, despite confidently remembering road numbers it suddenly occurred to me that I didn’t know where the A29 went where it crosses the A27. It’s a bit odd in that for a short stretch between two roundabouts the A29 is the A27, so there’s a 500m or so gap in the A29 . I assumed that there was an old road alongside it somewhere, but I can’t see it. I wonder why it’s not the A27 that has the gap...?
 spotted on Google maps - zippy
I know that bit well and was on it on Monday and Tuesday.

I guess the A29 was what is now the A27 between the two roundabouts and the old A27 would have been the Arundel Road bit that cuts the corner and which was bypassed by the new road.
 spotted on Google maps - R.P.
Arundel Road was presumably the old A27 ?
That makes perfect sense zippy, so I wonder why it’s not the A27 that has the little gap in it? Though I guess it diverts from its original route well before the village of Fontwell and would have created two A27s for a short distance - one bypassing it and one going though it ;)
 spotted on Google maps - helicopter
Because the A29 is very much the minor road in terms of traffic load.

The A27 is mainly dual carrigeway, A29 is single carriageway from where it leaves the A24 at Ockley all the way to the coast.

I know that stretch very well as I frequently travel to Chichester from home in Horsham.
Last edited by: helicopter on Thu 1 Nov 18 at 21:52
Of course the actual reason for posting was the (Virgin Atlantic?) 747 caught in the shot :)
 spotted on Google maps - Manatee
Well I stayed in the Fontwell Park Travelodge in April and that plane wasn't there then! (neither, I admit, did I notice the road anomaly)
 spotted on Google maps - Duncan
>> Of course the actual reason for posting was the (Virgin Atlantic?) 747 caught in the
>> shot :)

Where?
Ah, is it not visible? I tried to link to a satellite view of the area, which has caught the plane flying by!
 spotted on Google maps - Zero
Duncan, you have to click on the google earth image, bottom left of the map.

There is one nearer to you tho, just south of Shere

Stick this into google earth

51°12'50.00" N 0°27'43.05" W
Of course, all the conspiracy theorists will now claim its empirical evidence that MH370 will be found in the jungles of the South Downs as part of "Project Fear"
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 2 Nov 18 at 09:32
 spotted on Google maps - VxFan
>> Where?

goo.gl/maps/mx33iUoNjgS2
 spotted on Google maps - Bill Payer
Same thing happens with the A49 / A51 at Tarporley: www.google.com/maps/@53.1594701,-2.6551001,13z?hl=en-GB

The bypass doesn't make any difference - before it "both" roads ran through the middle of the village.

Perhaps the numbering convention is simply that the lowest road number prevails?
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Fri 2 Nov 18 at 11:06
 spotted on Google maps - Cliff Pope
If we were starting again now from scratch with no road numbers it's hard to see that the existing system would be first choice. It's as odd as it is because it's grown up piecemeal, with an obvious reluctance to change long-established numbers.

The most obvious deficiency is that there is no mechanism for handling merged roads, or as illustrated, roads that overlap for a short distance. The result is that irritating feature when trying to follow a particular route/number is that the number can suddenly vanish, leaving one going round a roundabout searching for a road that has disappeared.

Satnav helps of course, but even there, there is inconsistency over what counts as an exit. "Take the 3rd exit" may or may not include the dummy exit for an unbuilt road, or a maintenance depot access.
 spotted on Google maps - Shiny
I wonder why the plane looks like that? Like several overlapping rainbows?
It's RGB, it has yellow cyan and magenta too where the RGB overlaps and mixes..
Last edited by: Shiny on Fri 2 Nov 18 at 12:50
I assume an anomaly caused by a combo of focus, water vapour?

The cameras used are fascinating

www.popphoto.com/how-to/2008/12/google-earth-how-they-do-it
Fascinating link; thanks :)
Latest Forum Posts