Motoring Discussion > Displaying absolute value of fuel remaining Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 13

Displaying absolute value of fuel remaining - movilogo
Why the cars can't show exact amount of fuel left in the tank rather than a range between E and F?

Usually the needle moves slowly from F to middle and then moves rapidly towards E.

Displaying exact value will help to refill correctly when returning rental cars.

It is odd that we don't have any technology to show exact amount of a liquid in a container.

Displaying absolute value of fuel remaining - sooty123
They could but it wouldn't be of as much use as mileage til empty for most people anyway.

Most hire car places are full to full aren't they?
 Displaying absolute value of fuel remaining - Zero

>> It is odd that we don't have any technology to show exact amount of a
>> liquid in a container.

We do, only in my vehicle its displayed as miles till empty, which at the end of the day is of much more use.
 Displaying absolute value of fuel remaining - PeterS
In theory there’s no reason they can’t...but... When MINI gave me a courtesy car to use they read the fuel level (in litres) in the car at the service desk from its key. Did the same when I took it back. Only thing was, I did 23 miles and used no fuel :)

Both the BMW and MINI apps show fuel level in the car in litres; using the same email address for both accounts doesn’t half confuse the BMW ‘connected’ server though ;)
 Displaying absolute value of fuel remaining - Zero
>> In theory there’s no reason they can’t...but... When MINI gave me a courtesy car to
>> use they read the fuel level (in litres) in the car at the service desk
>> from its key. Did the same when I took it back. Only thing was, I
>> did 23 miles and used no fuel :)

You'd see 23 miles worth of use on my fuel gauge!
Yup, it was a diesel. A Cooper S diesel mind you, so I did expect it to use a few litres. But they didn’t register :)
 Displaying absolute value of fuel remaining - Old Navy
My Ceed could be set up to auto reset the trip milage on refuling but at least six litres had to be added. No doubt irregular shaped fuel tanks and allowing for the filler pipe can't help with accurate measurement either. It is long on the Jazz as the tank is under floor beneath the front seat.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 30 Oct 18 at 20:41
 Displaying absolute value of fuel remaining - R.P.
My BMW does via the app...currently has 52 litres on board, is locked, is parked on the drive and has an usable range of 470 miles.
The problem I have with the apps is as follows... the BMW has 36 litres of fuel, a range of 231 miles and is locked and on the drive. The MINI has 14 litres of fuel, a range of 124 miles and is locked and parked at London City airport. Both cars show the last activity as a journey from home to London City...
I've found it updates quite well when the car and the phone are in 4G areas
Oh it does, and the actual data about each car is aloway spot on. It seems that when the MINI and BMW connected accounts use the same email address it gets a tad confused. No matter what car I’m driving, all the ‘last journey’ summaries are flashed up by the MINI app.
Another useful feature is being able to prepare routes for the Sat Nav via the app from the comfort of your chair !
 Displaying absolute value of fuel remaining - Old Navy
You don't need Megabucks cars and phones for that, I set my TomTom up in my armchair, take it out to the car and it is ready for use. :-)
 Displaying absolute value of fuel remaining - Lygonos
Mine shows % in battery and it drops perfectly linearly.

No reserve below 0% apparently and I'm in no hurry to find out.
Latest Forum Posts