Motoring Discussion > WOW! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 28

WOW! - Roger.
Seen at the Wetherby Services on the A1 on Saturday ........cooking lead free @ £1.50.9 per l.
 WOW! - PeterS
I *think* I paid £1.529 a litre at Cherwell services for unleaded in the MINI a few weeks back. Was certainly a lot, but I was down to 12 miles range and not sure I’d make it to the shell station at the A34!. But filled the BMW up with V Power this evening and it was *only* 1.449...
Last edited by: PeterS on Mon 22 Oct 18 at 20:21
 WOW! - sooty123
I paid 130p/litre on Saturday last, bargain!
 WOW! - No FM2R
I paid $790 (89p) yesterday but that was for the Shell go-faster stuff.
 WOW! - rtj70
I assume that was not for a litre :-)
 WOW! - PeterS
>> I paid $790 (89p) yesterday but that was for the Shell go-faster stuff.
>>

Shell reminds me, they’re running an ‘extra points’ promo that kicks in if you can complete your fill in a multiple of £10. £70 means 75 bonus avios. But it’s a gamble; I also like to fill up completely...squeezing that extra £8 worth if I’ve misjudged it can be a challenge! But, it’s doable, even if it takes a while ;)
 WOW! - rtj70
I filled up on Saturday and it was 125.9p/litre. But then went into the Tesco and could have got 10p off per litre if I spent over £60. Too late as the tank is now full and the voucher would be valid for 2 weeks.
 WOW! - Old Navy
Road fuel is worth every penny if it contributes to unlimited health care free at the point of use.
 WOW! - R.P.
127 for petrol and around 1.33 for diesel seems to be the cheapest around here (Sainsbury in Rhyl) although 1.41 for diesel on the A55 seems to be rather a lot.
 WOW! - PeterS
>> Road fuel is worth every penny if it contributes to unlimited health care free at
>> the point of use.
>>

Way off topic, but unlimited and free at the point of use always reminds me of a buffet. It provides a solution, but it’s usually of poor quality, leads to a lot of waste and generally dissatisfied customers. Not only that, but there’s a risk you’ll go home and be sicker than you were to start with ;)
 WOW! - Bromptonaut
>> Way off topic, but unlimited and free at the point of use always reminds me
>> of a buffet. It provides a solution, but it’s usually of poor quality, leads to
>> a lot of waste and generally dissatisfied customers. Not only that, but there’s a risk
>> you’ll go home and be sicker than you were to start with ;)

But in that analogy the 'free' buffet is policed by doormen who ensure you only take a couple of stale fish paste sarnies unless you can show the papers for coronation chicken.

Rare beef if is only available if you're over 75 and accompanied by a parent......
 WOW! - CGNorwich
I wonder why we haven’t adopted the “free at point of use” system for al other essentials like food, water, fuel and energy etc. After all it’s not as though it would be wasteful, lead to an unlimited demand and not be valued by its recipients
 WOW! - R.P.
You have a point CG
 WOW! - Lygonos
I get 'free at point of use' water and road fuel.

Just off for my 7th bath of the day, and then for a pointless drive around the deserted streets of central Scotland.
 WOW! - CGNorwich
You really think that if we all received “free” fuel and petrol paid for out of taxation then their consumption would not soar? I’m sure you are a fine doctor but I fear your understanding of human nature and economics is a little lacking.
 WOW! - Lygonos
>>I fear your understanding of human nature and economics is a little lacking.

Capitalism has solved the issues of greed and envy...

We waste/overconsume the stuff we pay for directly just as much as the 'free at receipt' stuff.

Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 22 Oct 18 at 22:23
 WOW! - CGNorwich

Just not true. We surely over consume but personal cost is a huge brake on our consumption. No perceived cost = ever increasing demand.
 WOW! - Lygonos
>>No perceived cost = ever increasing demand.

Like my water consumption?

Or miles driven in my car?

Or my/my family's use of the health services?

Health service use is going up due to a population who live far longer in poor health than they ever did before. The US is a fine example of doctors taking ever-increasing amounts of money from their patients.
 WOW! - CGNorwich
Your personal use may not have increased but do you honestly believe that “free” petrol would not increase demand at the pumps

Now I can see that a case can be made for “free” healthcare and why we might choose to ignore the negative aspects of such a system in this case but to argue that such a system applied to other goods and services would not increase demand is just silly.
 WOW! - Lygonos
>>Your personal use may not have increased but do you honestly believe that "free" petrol would not increase demand at the pumps

Presuming everyone had 'free' access and smuggling* to 'non-free' areas could be prevented then it wouldn't make much difference - there's only so much storage room in your fuel tank for petrol.

What would be more likely is a change to car ownership of course, with people who aren't currently driving having a bigger impetus to get themselves a car.

Preferably a big-block V8.

* www.independent.co.uk/news/venezuela-petrol-prices-increase-fuel-smuggling-nicolas-maduro-a8490926.html
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 22 Oct 18 at 23:04
 WOW! - R.P.
Health service use is going up due to a population who live far longer in poor health than they ever did before.

What shocks me in the 10 or so General and local hospitals I routinely visit is the amount of fat...no obese middle aged people waddling around the entrances or sitting in waiting rooms. Same in surgeries. They stuff their fat faces with all kinds of crap, smoke and drink themselves to complex health problems and then sit around moaning about queues and waiting lists for this that and the other..grrrr.
 WOW! - Old Navy
>> I wonder why we haven’t adopted the “free at point of use” system for al
>> other essentials like food, water, fuel and energy etc. After all it’s not as though
>> it would be wasteful, lead to an unlimited demand and not be valued by its
>> recipients
>>

Like food banks?
 WOW! - CGNorwich
Last time I checked food banks weren’t open to everyone so no, not like food banks ON. Should Tesco decide to stop charging for your groceries that would be a better analogy. Nobody would surely take what they don’t need would they?

WOW! - Lygonos
>>Nobody would surely take what they don't need would they?

I think you'll find TESCO et al have been guilty of 'giving' people stuff they don't need with BOGOFs and other offers for decades.

The nation's bins are full of crap they didn't need.
 WOW! - CGNorwich
Indeed they are and I’m sure you don’t really believe there wouldn’t be more if there were no checkouts and we could take as much as we could carry. My wine cupboard would certainly be better stocked and I wouldn’t be taking anything from the “Essentials” range either.

WOW! - Lygonos
>>if there were no checkouts and we could take as much as we could carry.

Can you get all the drugs and surgery you want from the NHS?

"free at the point of use" isn't the same as "take what you want with no limits"
 WOW! - CGNorwich
No indeed it isn’t unless you have an unlimited supply. If you were to hand out stuff free at a checkout you would be limited by availability of stock. There would be a finite supply of food and when it ran out you would gave to turn people away. Having to pay for goods at the check out very effectively limits demand.

The health service on the other hand limits the almost unlimited demand for health care in the population by rationing of its services. The near impossibility of seeing a GP , long delays in seeing a consultant, having to wait for over a year for non essential surgery etc.

Now you can argue that that system is better than one regulated by up front cost but you cannot argue that there is not a need to regulate demand and that somehow people do not abuse “free” services or at least do not value them as they should. My personal opinion that an element of charging at point of use for part of medical services would benefit both providers and patients.

Patients would appreciate the cost of providing services and would also benefit from a better level of service from providers who had,to degree, a financial relationship with those they serve.
 WOW! - Cliff Pope
>> Road fuel is worth every penny if it contributes to unlimited health care free at
>> the point of use.
>>

Doesn't it also contribute to the need for health care?
 WOW! - Roger.
>> Doesn't it also contribute to the need for health care?

Only if you are injured in an RTC !
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 24 Oct 18 at 02:09
Latest Forum Posts