Motoring Discussion > Renault Scenic - Daft Q !
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 34

Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - Roger.
Despite the almighty Google, I cannot find out what sort of automatic (or semi- auto) gearbox is fitted in the 1.6VVT petrol version of 2008 (08 reg).
Anybody know?
 Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - The Melting Snowman
I think in this age of Renault it's their standard four speed torque converter 'box.
 Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - Dog
>>I think in this age of Renault it's their standard four speed torque converter 'box

I'm with ^this geyser ...

www.parkers.co.uk/renault/scenic/estate-2003/16-vvt-dynamique-5d-auto/specs/
 Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - Duncan
Where does it say that it's a TC box?
It doesn't but I have a feeling they were TC 'boxes in those days.
 Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - Zero
Matters not, being a renault scenic it will be broken
'specially a ten year-old Reno seen nick

>> I'm with ^this geyser ...
>>

Should that not have ben "geezer"?
Which is worse, an 08 Renault Scenic petrol auto, or an 08 Citroen Picasso C4 diesel auto?
I would not want that Scenic because it works so much better with one of the diesels. The 1.6 petrol will never feel very lively. I would look for the 1.5dci.
 Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - sooty123
Isn't that like choosing between diarrhoea and vomiting?
 Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - Lygonos
Weren't the Citroen diesel autos the 'EGS' variety which were automated clutch boxes?

frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58887

Later ones appear to be ok.

Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 23 Oct 18 at 21:19
N.E one who takes on a 10 year-old French jamjar with an automatic gearbox needs to have their bumps felt.

Probably voted for Brexit too, knowlmean.

:o}
OK. Laugh at me, but I need an auto with a high driving position/seat. I don't have much money so a used mpv is the only option I can live with.
I could do with something a bit bigger than the Jazz, so what should I consider? A class Mercedes cvt, or are they money pits?
 Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - CGNorwich
Anything of that age is going to be a big gamble. If the Jazz runs OK I would be inclined to stick with it.

How much do you have to spend?
I'd say a 10 year old french car is a risky bet, especially so as you are on a budget. Then can easily become money pits.
How about another jazz or a toyota yaris varsio (sp?)
How much Wonga you got to spend guv?
£2k + the Jazz
 Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - VxFan
£2050 then ;)
I think for that amount you are likely to be buying trouble.
 Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - Zero
>> I think for that amount you are likely to be buying trouble, specially id its French.
>>

I would keep the Jazz and hang onto your money, when the no deal Brexit strikes you are gonna need it.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 24 Oct 18 at 10:56
Just so we know a bit of background, what's wrong with the jazz and why do you need something larger and how often do you need the space?
My last 5 cars have all bin Jap = Primera, Almera, Lancer, Forester, and now CRV, all automatics with no problems at all at all. Mind you, thems have all been one-owner low mileage examples.

If I were yew, I'd be a'looking on AT etc. for Nissan Note, Kia Venga, medium sized Suzukis, and as sooty sed, Yaris Verso etc, etc. etc.

I know for sure for sure I can get an alf-decent, well looked after jalopy for £1-2k in Cornwall if I wanted one.
Have a looksee in the local ads too and, like a good Brexit deal, I'm sure something will come up :)
Last edited by: non-emmet on Wed 24 Oct 18 at 11:13
 Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - Runfer D'Hills
I think I’d be looking at doing up the Jazz if it needs it. Treat it to a proper inspection and get any work done that it needs to put it it in good shape for another couple of years. Consider a roof box or trailer for the occasions you need more load space. You’re not going to get a much better car with the budget you’re allocating and might end up with a worse one.
I agree. Unless there is anything wrong that is hugely expensive to fix hang on to the Jazz. At the moment you have £2000 available to cover contingencies. Buy a £2,000 car and find it needs a grand's worth of work and you are stuffed.
Actually WBAC have made a boob insofar as they have "guaranteed" a valuation which is daft!

webuyanycar.com
Book your appointment

++52+++

GO »
Your valuation of £1,500 is guaranteed for 4 more days.

I am not going to book an appointment as I KNOW the real value is rather (a lot) less!
I reckon I'm looking at about £3k as top whack including a bit more of our readies as required.
There's quite a lot of choice for that sort of money - it's about what we paid, or a little less, for the Jazz about four years ago.
The Jazz is running fine, so that leap in the dark has turned out well.
Basically I fancy a change and more space would be useful when we pick up our grandchildren for the airport run at half and end of, term. There's at least two more years of that before home base will be somewhere on the UK mainland and even then we'll be a taxi service I guess.
Deidre is not keen to change as she does not like change for change's sake and if I press on and buy a lemon, my life will be untenable!
Extra readies to the extent I've mentioned will not break us, but will leave the rainy day fund a bit light.
" I fancy a change". I wonder how much those words have benefitted car dealers over the years. :-)
 Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - Avant
With a limited budget, condition matters much more than make or mileage: but generally you've got a better chance of getting a good one if it's Japanese and petrol-powered.

Maybe look for a Toyota Verso or a Suzuki Vitara.
 Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - Bobby
Roger, my dad got an auto Nissan Note for the same reasons as you quote. It has the higher upright seating position though not really a high car.

Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - Shiny
The gearbox will be DP0 / AL4. An acient ZF design that was rehatched as a French car gearbox, it was redesigned, simplified and electronic control and solenoids added. Two of the solenoids are a common fault but should be cheap to replace. The problem with them is they are bathed in the transmission fluid and of an open casing design, consequently all the wear particals are attracted and stay inside them.
@Shiny
Is that the torque converter box fitted to the early Notes that you are mentioning?
I've been looking at the Note on the motor sale sites, and if I can persuade Deidre, we may well go and look at one.
I'm not sure you'll be impressed with size inside of a note, I don't think it's even as big as a jazz. When I had one as hire car i thought it was more like a tall clio size wise.
Well, I drove a 49000 recorded mile, 07 plate, Scenic "auto" yesterday. Nasty car which just didn't feel "honest" to me.
There was a ginormous clunk as it shifted from first to second while in auto mode and the shift to manual mode was as stiff as heck. The electronic handbrake was unsettling, too.
Turned it down politely.
Then went to see the VERY clean 48000 mile, 08 plate, Citroen C4 Picasso auto, I'd looked at briefly Thursday last week, to find it had been had sold on Saturday.
The gods are talking it seems!
We have decided to keep our old reliable Jazz (we've had it 5 years I realised to my surprise ) for a while yet and to celebrate I had it fitted with fore and aft in-car cameras (Nextbase linked front and aft jobs) trading in my existing Nextbase for a 20% discount, at Halford's ,who fitted both new units very tidily.

The BIG daft Q now is, "dare I get a car sticker saying - smile, you're on camera?"
 Renault Scenic - Daft Q ! - Bobby
No
Latest Forum Posts