Motoring Discussion > Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 12

Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. - henry k
Car groups condemn grant cuts for electric and hybrid vehicles

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45831150
 Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. - rtj70
But it's not surprising. The Chancellor has to find money to deliver Theresa May's promises. For a fully electric car the subsidy drops only £1000. For others it vanishes completely. But should all of us me subsidising company car drivers getting a cheaper car for example? How many £30k PHEV are bought as company cars vs personal cars? A lot I suspect hence the long lead times on Golf GTEs.

If you get a Nissan Leaf, Jaguar i-Pace, etc. you will still get £3500 off list price.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 12 Oct 18 at 01:01
 Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. - movilogo
Probably too many people were buying those cars hence govt. was losing money.

One point in time diesels were encouraged citing low CO2 emission. Then they were crucified citing high NOx.

In few years time there could be a battery tax :-)
 Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. - No FM2R
They provide grants to encourage a behaviour. The more that behaviour becomes self-maintaining the less necessary or appropriate a grant is.

And make no mistake, the country needs a level of tax revenue and if that drops through receiving less revenue from fuel, then something else will be taxed to replace it.
 Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. - Lygonos
£3,500 is still a decent chunk on a £20-30 grand car.

Not increasing fuel duty shows the government's real vision on 'green issues' though.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 12 Oct 18 at 11:58
 Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. - Bobby
Surely manufacturers know that the grant is there and increase prices accordingly?
 Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. - rtj70
I'm not sure that's the case. Batteries cost a lot. Take a Tesla Model S.... it's got many thousands of battery cells.
 Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. - Lygonos
>> Take a Tesla Model S.... it's got many thousands of battery cells.

Tesla's cost for batteries is relatively low, around $120 per kWh.

They use thousands of cells, each a little bigger than an AA battery, to facilitate excellent temperature regulation with liquid coolant..

Longevity, rate of charging, and power density appear excellent.

Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. - zippy
>> Surely manufacturers know that the grant is there and increase prices accordingly?
>>

That's my suspicion.

Anyway with the premium cost of hybrids the grants seemed to be subsidising manufacturers and wealthier buyers.

It would have been better spent improving roads, other transport options or research in to other alternatives to fossil fuels.
 Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. - No FM2R
>> Surely manufacturers know that the grant is there and increase prices accordingly?
>
>That's my suspicion.

Absolutely. The subsidy is absolutely there to increase Mfr's profits as well.

There is a price that consumers are prepared to buy at, there is a price the Mfr is prepared to sell at. The purpose of the subsidy is to reduce the gap between the two, in whichever way it is used.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 13 Oct 18 at 17:35
 Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. - VxFan
>> In few years time there could be a battery tax :-)

Hefty charge I heard.
 Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. - tyrednemotional
...though I think some current users might revolt.....
 Grants cut for E cars and scrapped for hybrids. - sherlock47
The government might make a Volte-face.
Latest Forum Posts