Motoring Discussion > SsangYong overtakes Kia on warranty Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 23

SsangYong overtakes Kia on warranty - movilogo
All SsangYong models now come with 7 year 150,000 miles warranty.

www.am-online.com/news/manufacturer/2018/10/05/ssangyong-boosts-terms-to-overtake-kia-as-warrant-leader
 SsangYong overtakes Kia on warranty - CGNorwich
Sales must be bad. Not surprising having seen some of the reviews of thier range.
Under Mahindra’s ownership, Ssangyong became profitable after making loss for many years.
 SsangYong overtakes Kia on warranty - rtj70
Which SsangYong model are you thinking of buying Movilogo?
Not right now but Tivoli XLV looks interesting. It is like Kia Soul but with bigger boot.

Ssangyong is popular for caravan towing and off roading. .
 SsangYong overtakes Kia on warranty - Stuu
I have driven the XLV diesel auto, very nice, likeable car and good value. Had the XLV been available in petrol in 2017 I might have bought one.

I also drove the Tivoli petrol auto and it isn't a bad motor, but the diesel suits it better.
 SsangYong overtakes Kia on warranty - Stuu
>>Sales must be bad. Not surprising having seen some of the reviews of thier range.<<

Tivoli gets pretty good reviews and Autocar are running a Rexton on long term test, seem to like it.
 SsangYong overtakes Kia on warranty - Lygonos
Tivoli is an attractive enough looking car and not too pricey.

XLV version is a bit muntered though, but is obviously more practical.

Even the Korando of a few years ago (not the original one...) Looked an ok buggy.
 SsangYong overtakes Kia on warranty - Bromptonaut
We are considering a caravan upgrade which would necessitate a new car as the current one is overweight for Berlingo. SsangYong was one range on my radar though I'm not sure I really need 4*4. Motor mover will get it off pitch.
 SsangYong overtakes Kia on warranty - Old Navy
Carrying a tow strap is a lot cheaper than a 4X4, there is usually someone around with a 4X4 who can't resist showing off its capabilities. The strap can also be used to position your car remote from the caravan for the initial move. Just make sure they don't rip bits off your rig in their enthusiasm.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 7 Oct 18 at 13:50
 SsangYong overtakes Kia on warranty - No FM2R
SsangYong have changed a *LOT* in the last 10 years.

At one time they looked like they'd been built by British Leyland with dodgy doors, shut lines and interior equipment. . These days they're ok IME. Quite a lot of them are butt ugly, but quite reasonable cars I think. A friend of mine has one and it seems just fine.

>> there is usually someone around with a 4X4 who can't resist showing off its capabilities

Quite a cynical point of view, perhaps they're just happy to help?

As it happens I dislike relying on the availability of someone else, even for a jump start never mind a tow. I have never been caravanning so I have no empirical experience of whether or not a 4x4 is necessary.

I think I'd prefer to have one though. Slippery fields, hills and tracks must surely be an issue from time to time?

>> I think I'd prefer to have one though. Slippery fields, hills and tracks must surely
>> be an issue from time to time?

If you use small sites like the Caravan and Motorhome Club's Certificated Locations you might well have issues. In UK, at least up to now, we tend to stay on sites with full facilities, paved roads and most pitches on hardstanding. Have had odd occasion where I've seen other people struggle with wet grass but if in any doubt I'd run it to the car on it's motor mover. We have though said we'd like to spread our wings a bit and CL's can be dirt cheap hence looking at possibility of AWD.

Never had more than a chirrup from front wheels on wet road hill starts.
I realise I drive in more aggressive conditions than you will face, but anyway...

4WD is better than 2WD every time. Second most important is decent tyres - not horrendous mud pluggers which give you a rough, noisy ride, just competent tyres.

It's not that I think you'll necessarily need it, but it is a level of comfort knowing you have it. It's more freedom, the ability to choose your destination without worrying about the conditions as much.

I guess it depends how free range you see "spread our wings" becoming.
 SsangYong overtakes Kia on warranty - sooty123
Its also a matter of how often you would you use that capability and what does it cost?
True. Though I would phrase it as 'how often you would feel more comfortable knowing that you had it' rather than how often you actually used it.
>> Its also a matter of how often you would you use that capability and what
>> does it cost?
>>

Not forgetting the fuel consumption penalty due to the extra weight and frictional losses and more complex maintenance. If you are only using the 4X4 capabilities on rare occasions it would be better to keep a recovery outfit on speed dial in case there isn't a friendly farmer with a tractor or a 4X4 owner keen to demonstrate its capabilities. As No FM2R says a 4X4 on road tyres is not much better than a 2X4.
I most certainly did not say that. Nor did I mean to imply it.
>> I most certainly did not say that. Nor did I mean to imply it.
>>

My apologies, tyre type is secondary, which makes it pretty important.
>> My apologies, tyre type is secondary, which makes it pretty important.

I agree. I guess my point is that if 2WD and 4WD have identical tyres, then the 4WD will have far greater capability than the 2WD.

Crap. good, more or less appropriate tyres on one can change it's advantage compared to the other.

Mind you, driver incompetence can outweigh either. A twit in a 4WD will get stuck faster than a smart person in a 2WD.

Finally, and many seem not to understand this, all vehicles brake with all wheels.. a 4WD car stops no faster than a 2WD.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Sep 19 at 10:18
>> Finally, and many seem not to understand this, all vehicles brake with all wheels.. a
>> 4WD car stops no faster than a 2WD.

Spot on. Same applies to laws of physics. Push>shove Newton's in the driving seat irrespective of which axles are powered.
>> Mind you, driver incompetence can outweigh either. A twit in a 4WD will get stuck
>> faster than a smart person in a 2WD.
>>

I was chatting with an AA patrol in a Scottish ski area, he was in a AA LWB Land Rover. He said most of his work in that area during the winter was pulling 4 X4s out of ditches, often driven by driver who normally only experienced city driving conditions and overestimated its capabilities.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Sep 19 at 10:18
>> Not forgetting the fuel consumption penalty due to the extra weight and frictional losses and
>> more complex maintenance. If you are only using the 4X4 capabilities on rare occasions it
>> would be better to keep a recovery outfit on speed dial in case there isn't
>> a friendly farmer with a tractor or a 4X4 owner keen to demonstrate its capabilities.

All the stuff in first sentence plus additional first cost/depreciation. I don't think I'd need recovery or a "4*4 owner keen to demonstrate its capabilities" still less straps and stuff. If 2WD cars were struggling on a suddenly deluged club site then it's almost certain clubmates with a 4*4 would quite willingly hitch up and tow stranded 'vans to road.

Only time we nearly got stuck was on wet long grass in France on a site with additional 'feature' of overgrown hedges round plots with narrow entrances. Three of us (thankfully The Lad was there too) couldn't move it either way but fortunately we could rotate it so hitch was near enough paved road to drag it out.

Mrs B and I were initially confident we could move a 'small' van with just two of us. Motormover fitted as soon as we got home.....
 SsangYong overtakes Kia on warranty - sherlock47
>>>at least up to now, we tend to stay on sites with full facilities, paved roads and most pitches on hardstanding. <<<

sounds like a motorway service station, or maybe a traveller site? :)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 8 Oct 18 at 02:07
If I own a 4x4 I am unlikely to take it off road - except may be some muddy grass fields - because I'd be wary of damaging the car.

But those muddy grass fields can also be traversed by most normal 2WD cars (which I've done few times during car boot sales, community event parking etc.)

Bit of tangent, why most AWD cars transfer the power to rear wheels rather than offering a front diff lock? Is it too complex/costly to engieer or any other reason?

The advantage I see as less weight and less friction and still potentially same benefit(?).

Or why not simply electronically lock spinning front wheel and delivere the power to other front wheel? Think Land Rover uses it but if it is pure electronics how difficult to implement in standard FWD cars?

Latest Forum Posts