Motoring Discussion > Steering wheel balls Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 29

Steering wheel balls - L'escargot
I'm looking at methods of reducing the effort needed to steer my car. I've been told that fitting a steering wheel ball is classed as a modification, and as such would need to be reported to both the DVLA and my insurer. Can anyone clarify this aspect?
 Steering wheel balls - Robin O'Reliant
Sounds like something a guy in a pub would come up with, probably getting mixed up with the fact that a disability has to be reported. I can't see how merely fitting a device like that needs notifying.
 Steering wheel balls - -
Have you ever tried a steering wheel ball Le's, there was a fashion some years ago for truck drivers to fit them, just like fork lifts where they should have been left.

Dreadful things, i always removed them before taking the vehicle out, driving normally the knob clouts hell out of you as you turn and in an emergency could be dangerous.

I never found them as easy or light as steering properly with a decent grip two handed on the wheel.

If steering is becoming heavier maybe another type of car with lighter steering, Fiats for example with their City button are very light no doubt some others are superlight too.

By the way years of graft have taken their toll on my arms too, i wake often in the night with shoulder/arm aches.
 Steering wheel balls - Zero
New tyres, pumped to the maximum allowed (ie the high speed or loaded level if the book specifies one) will feel easier than the old rubber.
 Steering wheel balls - bathtub tom
I've used one in off-road competition (I broke it!). With it fitted I had a problem finding the straight ahead position.

I didn't realise I was letting go of the steering wheel to let it find its centre position. We may all do it sub-consciously.

With the knob, if you let go, you have to keep your hands some distance back from the wheel to stop the knob giving you a good clout. If you don't let go of the knob you have to count turns of the wheel to make sure it's centred.

Without the knob you can just lightly release your grip (and find out how round the wheel is).

I've recently driven a Motability car with one fitted. I found it really annoying!

It might be worth you having a chat with the Motability people L'es, if you haven't already. Even if you don't want to join their scheme, they may have some good advice. I'm sure you're not the first person in your position.
Last edited by: bathtub tom {p} on Mon 30 Aug 10 at 12:31
 Steering wheel balls - Dave_
>> It might be worth you having a chat with the Motability people L'es, if you haven't already.
>> Even if you don't want to join their scheme, they may have some good advice.
>> I'm sure you're not the first person in your position.

A previous customer of mine had a Toyota Yaris through Motability fitted with various adaptations to enable her to drive it. One of the modifications done was to fit a different power steering pump which reduced the effort required to turn the steering wheel by something like 80%. Obviously it changed the way the car drove but adapting to much lighter steering should be no more difficult than adapting to a new car. I'm sure a company like Brotherwood would be happy to advise you if/where your car could be similarly modified.

www.brotherwood.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=contact.ouraddress

Hth,

Dave TD
 Steering wheel balls - Bellboy
i would be interested to know how they got an adaption like that approved for road use Dave_TD {P} as it sounds highly dangerous to me
dont know what car you own but a new set of tyres can make one hell of a difference for steering lightness
also some new balljoints can transform a car to wow factor 4 in the lightness stakes
wouldnt have one of those aids on the wheel for all the tea in shropshire because having had broken ribs i can confirm it damm well hurts so why try and get them?
 Steering wheel balls - corax
Steering wheel balls - excellent for cutting the rough on the golf course on the John Deere, they make light work of steering around umpteen trees. Not so sure about using one on the road.
 Steering wheel balls - Pat
Right then L'es, we have to get you talking proper here.
They are called knobs, steering wheel knobs.

Ignore GB and listen to me now:)

They are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them and I love them.
I have used one for at least 10 years in a lorry and wouldn't be without it.
I first used one because of the arthritis in my hands and they are so useful when it comes to manoeuvring in tight spots.

I have certainly never caught my thumb or hand on one when allowing the wheel to spin back to it's parked position. To me, the idea is to be in control of the steering wheel, as opposed to allowing it to do it's own thing, at all times so maybe that is why.

Try one, they cost about £6 and are available in most Motorway service garage shops so you haven't got too much to lose and you may just end up loving it too.

Pat
 Steering wheel balls - Ted

I'm with Pat.
I've used my knob to steer at least 2 of my recovery vehicles.

Makes reversing round obstacles and into narrow entrances, with the trailer on ,a doddle.
Never had a problem with it getting in the way or causing pain. Always fitted it at about 1 o'clock on the wheel. Just turned round in the seat to my left, arm over the backrest and off we go....easy.
I have one here in my odds and ends drawer....thought of fitting it to the Vitara........might now !

Ted
 Steering wheel balls - Zero
but the question is, with failing strength, does it make it easier on the arms and wrists to turn the steering wheel?

Plus it makes you look like a complete, well, knob actually.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 30 Aug 10 at 18:52
 Steering wheel balls - Iffy
What about the steering wheel airbag?

Wouldn't want the stupid knob to pierce it at a critical moment.
those in favour have them in their trucks
the angle of the wheel is usually slightly different in a car
(im assuming L'escargot does drive a car and not an old atki)
 Steering wheel balls - Bill Payer
I know VAG cars with electric power steering can have it adjusted by the dealer and some FIAT models have a "city" button which does the same thing - maybe all cars with electric power steering can have it lightened?
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Mon 30 Aug 10 at 19:12
if you do a google you will see you can buy a kit to dial in the amount of power on say an electric corsa power rack,obviously for track use only
cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORSA-RALLY-ELECTRIC-POWER-STEERING-CONTROL-CONTROLLER-/170525030802?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM
 Steering wheel balls - -
Ignore that Pat she's a mere stripling regarding trucks and wheel knobs..;)

You wouldn't have used a knob on a proper truck, back in the day when trucks needed a truck driver at the helm not a steering wheel attendent, the days of no power steering and about 6 turns from lock to lock you'd not have made the first tight bend with a flippin great ball bolted to the wheel.

Tight turns and reverses required the driver to brace themselves and pull the wheel hand over hand like pulling in an anchor, and you'd better be pretty good at it too as it needed some strength to make a couple of shunts.

Strewth i thought my days of having to teach these kids was over, mamby pamby spoiled brats with their power this and electric that, back in the day we were glad to have a windscreen...tha knows.

Steering wheel balls, Pah i say.
 Steering wheel balls - Old Navy
I'm with you on that one GB, I was really surprised at how light the controls of a loaded 40 odd ton truck were (and it was a manual box) compared to my memory of driving lots of years ago. OK I was only trundling around a yard and manoeuvring, but surprising.

Sorry Pat, I know why you use one. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 30 Aug 10 at 20:14
ive just seen GB...........
www.youtube.com/user/nickahong#p/f/30/CDtjscPwrKY
 Steering wheel balls - -
>> ive just seen GB

Thanks BB we enjoyed that a lot, Rootes group like most car makers using their own product as transporters, don't see that any more.

Steering wheel balls - Iffy
...ive just seen GB...

A few things about the film struck me:

1. Lots of lorries - the idea that before motorways all freight used to go by rail is clearly rubbish.

2. Some of the loads were beautifully roped and sheeted - looked like they were shrink wrapped.

3. Ninety per cent, if not more, of the vehicles shown were made in this country.

Steering wheel balls - Runfer D'Hills

>> Sorry Pat, I know why you use one. :-)

To leave the other hand free for heating spaghetti ?

:-)
GB I think you've been in a time warp, it's 2010 now and we've made progress:)

I'm going to get one for the CRV now, maybe I can get into Tesco's car park then!

Pat
 Steering wheel balls - -
>> GB I think you've been in a time warp, it's 2010 now and we've made
>> progress:)

OK i'm pulling your leg it's fair cop guv..;)

Serious thread hijack sorry Le's, but the following is something to consider.

I'll give you an example of one of the unusual circumstances when that damned lump on the wheel could have had disastrous consequences.

Friday last week one of my mates was driving down M1 in contraflow keeping up with the traffic roughly 45 to 48mph, he was in a Volvo cabbed modern design empty car transporter which is basically a 2 axle tractor unit with 4 car body and attached to 7/8 car trailer twice as long and heavy but towing eye behind tractor not in front of drive axle for stability.
This combination is not the most stable in the world at the best of times and you can easily have the tail wagging the dog.

Without warning tractor OSF brake chamber blows and OSF (steering axle) brake locks solid.

Despite the desperate attempt of the truck to take him to the right and fighting the wheel he managed to keep it under control and forced it onto the coned off hard shoulder scattering cones everywhere.
Trucks stopped dead just behind and beside him, he dived out and kicked cones onto hard shoulder and everyone carried on without mishap.

If he had been holding a fork truck knob one handed would the outcome have been the same, that we don't know but the possibilty of the wheel being wrenched and the knob belting his wrist is a real one.

By the way i've told him how proud i am of him and given him a pat on the back, but in hs normal modest way he isn't having a bar of it, but we all know without a bit of competent quick reactions and damned good driving this could have been carnage, he thought he'd had OSF blow out thats how it felt, but the reality was far worse.

Luckily he wasn't loaded as it would probably have spun and gone over, and if it had been the Thursday constant lashing rain then likely others would have concertina crashed behind him anyway.

He's late 30's by the way and one of the youngest old school drivers i know.

Please accept my apolgies for nicking your thread Le's but it is something to consider.

Steering wheel balls - Armel Coussine
Those steering wheel crank handles are an American gimmick. Before power steering big, heavy US cars had very low-geared steering, often four or five whole turns of the wheel from lock to lock. It was so that small women could drive the behemoths. The thing was that when, some time before Europe, all cars started to get power steering the Americans kept the very low gearing. Perhaps it was thought that with quick steering a lot of motorists might crash, being used to a leisurely helm.

The crank handles were used by some people to help in tight manoeuvring, winding the wheel back and forth. Never saw the advantage myself. Just a gimmick.
 Steering wheel balls - RichardW
My colleague, who's well known for being a little eccentric (think 16 year old rusty Golf estate running on veg oil - through choice not neccessity....) fell off a ladder a few years ago and broke his arm. Back at work a few days later sporting a cast, was asked how he was managing to drive, replied that he had fabricated a handle on the steering wheel with the side handle from a dill and insulation tape. A few days later he appeared wearing a neck brace. When asked why, his reply, "Well, remember that handle I had taped on the steering wheel? It came off when I was going round a roundabout and I hit the kerb"..... :-) I know I shouldn't laugh, but I can't tell that story without tears running down my face.

Hope you get a proper one L'Esc if you go down this route!
 Steering wheel balls - Harleyman
>> GB I think you've been in a time warp, it's 2010 now and we've made
>> progress:)
>>

I'm sorry Pat but I too agree with GB on this one. Horrible things and do more damage than good; if I want to steer one-handed then palm pressure is sufficient on modern trucks. Apart from anything else they wreck the steering wheel rim which, as one of our drivers found to his cost, can be expensive.

Didn't need 'em on the old 'uns either, even when gear-changing was a two-handed business........... (warning clip contains expletive)

tinyurl.com/3565o38

Like I said, they're like Marmite, but a lot who hate them have never tried them.

I love Marmite too!

Pat
 Steering wheel balls - BobbyG
>>I'm with Pat.
>>I've used my knob to steer at least 2 of my recovery vehicles.

Ted, respect. Major major respect!! :-)
 Steering wheel balls - rtj70
It sounds like a modification to me if needed to steer. Can you clarify the actual problem if possible? At some point we need to all stop (temporarily?) driving.
Latest Forum Posts