Motoring Discussion > Police to test drivers eyesight. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 10

Police to test drivers eyesight. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45387965

"Drivers who fail to read a number plate from 20m (65ft) away when stopped by police will have their licences revoked immediately in a new crackdown.
"( Officers can request an urgent revocation of a licence )"

The forces taking part are Thames Valley, Hampshire and West Midlands."

A great idea but lots of opportunities for the legal boys.
e.g will there be a mass issue of 100 foot tapes or will approved 65 foot ones be ordered?
 Police to test drivers eyesight. - R.P.
And a good thing too - hopefully metrication will survive Brexit.
 Police to test drivers eyesight. - Lygonos
About time.

The only thing HGV drivers fail on the medicals I do (and it's rare) is eyesight.

I always do that bit first so they can go and get their eyes checked at an optician and glasses provided rather than waste their time on a whole medical they can't possibly pass.

And before Pat asks, of course I only charge them once!
 Police to test drivers eyesight. - Pat
Bet it costs more than mine though from Drivers Medicals/Cotswold Medicals and many others too:)

Pat
 Police to test drivers eyesight. - R.P.
What's so hard about getting eyes tested before a medical ?
>> Bet it costs more than mine though

I hope so. £50 for a half hour medical? No thanks.
 Police to test drivers eyesight. - PeterS
I didn’t see that coming!

:)
 Police to test drivers eyesight. - Stuartli
Eye tests are free if you are 60 or older or in certain other circumstances:

www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/free-nhs-eye-tests-and-optical-vouchers/

You can also have an eye test for £10 at some opticians.
For the past couple of years the D4 form used to obtain/renew an HGV/PSV licence has the eyesight test on the first page and it can be completed and signed by an optician.

iirc once you have an HGV licence you don't need a medical til 45 (after getting your provisional), then every 5 years to 65, then annually thereafter.

Police to test drivers eyesight. - rtj70
What happens when you're as old as Pat? I assume her licence is renewed more often. Not even thinking more than cars. But she is in her 70s as we all know on here.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 4 Sep 18 at 02:54
Annually as mentioned above.

For car licences, everyone needs to renew at 70, then every 1-3 years thereafter depending upon medical info you tell the DVLA.

There's usually no doctor involvement unless the DVLA wish more info, eg if you have Parkinson's or dementia etc
Latest Forum Posts