Motoring Discussion > Bridge Collapse Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Driver Replies: 28

Bridge Collapse - Driver
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/14/casualties-feared-huge-section-motorway-bridge-collapses-italy/

Blimey! I hope if they find anyone responsible for this catastrophe, the prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.

Noticed people driving a little more carefully and leaving decent distances on the QEII bridge this evening.

One of the bridges on the way home is on a 70MPH dual carriageway. There are temporary 50 MPH speed limit signs that have been there for about 18 months with the warning "Weak Bridge". No work has been done on the bridge. I wonder if they will look at it now?
 Bridge Collapse - VxFan
>> Blimey! I hope if they find anyone responsible for this catastrophe, the prosecute them to
>> the fullest extent of the law.

According the to the 10 o'clock news, it was an old bridge, and was already having repairs done on it because of weaknesses in the structure.
 Bridge Collapse - PR
Its tragic indeed. I have been over that bridge many times on my travels. Its a weird looking structure (or was!).

Repairs on structures like that are almost continual.

I thought the BBC reporter shouting at the Italian PM about what caused it then repeating "so you dont know what caused it" in an almost accusatory manner was appalling.
 Bridge Collapse - Old Navy
There are idiots in all walks of life, journalists show it in a very public arena. It makes you realise why they rapidly shut the Forth Road Bridge when a problem was found, regardless of the chaos it caused. I have driven across the Italian bridge that collapsed, and wondered why there were unusual traffic flows early on the morning the FRB was shut as I was driving to Glasgow airport using a bridge further along the river. The FRB is now a public transport corridor and after its repair a plan "B" bridge as the roads are still in place with temporary barriers to divert all traffic onto it if required.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 15 Aug 18 at 07:57
 Bridge Collapse - henry k
>> According the to the 10 o'clock news, it was an old bridge, and was already
>> having repairs done on it because of weaknesses in the structure.
>>

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/15/genoa-bridge-collapse-tragedy-waiting-happen-amid-concern-thousands/

www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-15/what-caused-genoas-bridge-to-collapse/10121848
including an image of what collapsed.
 Bridge Collapse - Zero
. The motorway operator said work to shore up the bridge's foundation was being carried out at the time.

Hmmmm?
 Bridge Collapse - rtj70
If the foundations needed work doing surely the bridge should have been closed. At the very least limit off traffic load by reducing lanes and speed limit.

I remember when they were sorting the new crossing over the Mersey on the M6 and repairing the old one, it caused lots of holdups for many including me.

This bridge that collapsed looks like the relatively thin supports were a bit too small. Probably engineering wise they were okay but overtime maybe they weren't up to it. But the foundation work sounds a bit iffy.

Although it collapsed in heavy rain and was hit by lightning - maybe it wasn't the foundations... Time will tell us what happened.
 Bridge Collapse - Zero

>> Although it collapsed in heavy rain and was hit by lightning - maybe it wasn't
>> the foundations... Time will tell us what happened.

If you are digging away at the foundations, lightning and heavy rain is exactly what you dont want. Pound to a penny the lightening conductor was disconnected from earth and the diggings were flooded.
 Bridge Collapse - PeterS
>>
>> If you are digging away at the foundations, lightning and heavy rain is exactly what
>> you dont want. Pound to a penny the lightening conductor was disconnected from earth and
>> the diggings were flooded.
>>

Those were my thoughts too when I read about the heavy rain and the work on the foundations!
 Bridge Collapse - Driver
I wouldn't want to be in a building if there were major foundation problems. As others have stated, it seems the bridge should have been closed.

Amazing that they found some survivors and seeing the size of the stretch that collapsed that is amazing.
 Bridge Collapse - Old Navy
I was staying in the foothills just to the west of Genoa a few years ago, during heavy rain while I was there cars were washed down the valleys towards the sea and it was dangerous to move around. The storms only lasted a day or so but the clear up took a while. At least the rain was warm! There are numerous valleys along that coast with dozens of tunnels, bridges, and viaducts along that motorway, they have far more than one bridge to sort out.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Aug 18 at 08:47
 Bridge Collapse - CGNorwich
William McGonagall summed up the solution in the conclusion of his greatest poem " The Tay Bridge Disaster"

By telling the world fearlessly without the least dismay,
That your central girders would not have given way,
At least many sensible men do say,
Had they been supported on each side with buttresses,
At least many sensible men confesses,
For the stronger we our houses do build,
The less chance we have of being killed.
 Bridge Collapse - Driver
>>For the stronger we our houses do build,
>>The less chance we have of being killed.

Whilst natural disasters are horrendous and incredibly sad - think the tsunami in 2004, it seems worse when human fault is the blame: it seems so avoidable.
 Bridge Collapse - Mapmaker
>>it seems worse when human fault is the blame: it seems so avoidable.

Fault? Who knows. It's a matter of evaluating the risk.

By accepting ridiculously low levels of risk you will increase your costs way beyond the benefit.

>>For the stronger we our houses do build,
>>The less chance we have of being killed.
 Bridge Collapse - Fenlander
If you "drive" that bridge and the roads below adj the tower bases on Google streetview it is clear to see the concrete is failing.
The new bridge is expected to be completed in 12 months, officials said.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46611314
A representation of solidarity between Genoa and Sampdoria fans was widely shared on social media
See www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46336093

Genoa's two Serie A football teams - Genoa and Sampdoria - met for the first time since the disaster on an emotional evening at the Luigi Ferraris stadium, a ground the rival clubs have shared since 1946.

Bridge Collapse - PR
They have finally demolished the main remaining section of the bridge..

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-48797883/morandi-bridge-towers-demolished-in-genoa

The new bridge is a lot easier on the eye.
www.google.com/search?q=new+genoa+bridge&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwicufT-u4zjAhVGeMAKHWB8BkYQ7AkoAXoECAwQDQ&biw=1536&bih=750
 Bridge Collapse - Zero
>> The new bridge is a lot easier on the eye.

It seems a lot thiner and less substantial........
 Bridge Collapse - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>> It seems a lot thiner and less substantial........
>>

You know what they say, "Any fool can build a bridge that will stand up, it takes an engineer to build a bridge that will only just stand up".

Mind you, the original engineer got his sums wrong...
 Bridge Collapse - Netsur
I think the original engineer assumed that the bridge would benefit from regular maintenance which it did not.
 Bridge Collapse - tyrednemotional
I suspect the original engineer didn't allow for human-reinforced concrete.....

;-)
 Bridge Collapse - Netsur
Just covered my keyboard in porrige!
 Bridge Collapse - Zero
Alway rely on you to get to the bones of the matter, of corpse you are right.
 Bridge Collapse - Netsur
I wonder if the authorities there are on the lookout for bridge parts not of concrete or steel? Might find some DNA of a long missing person.....
 Bridge Collapse - Robin O'Reliant
If bodies in concrete causes it to fail the M11 would have collapsed years ago, if the tales one heard round the East End were anything to go by when it was being built.
 Bridge Collapse - Zero
The elevated section of the M4 was the favourite location apparently, and that is falling to bits.
 Bridge Collapse - PR
The new bridge opens this week.

Just in time for my trip (if it happens!) in early sept!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53628580

Latest Forum Posts