Motoring Discussion > Hitch hiking in 2018 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 20

Hitch hiking in 2018 - legacylad
Thursdays I go walking with my chums from the Aire Valley. They normally head NW to Ribblesdale and I don’t blame them.
Got off the 09:21 train at Giggleswick and onto the 09:30 bus from Settle to Kirkby Lonsdale then hot sticky 12m walk over Gregareth from Cowan Bridge. Then the M6 closed resulting in massive queues on the A65. Bus timetable, one every two hours, gone to pot.
My 5 walking companions were aghast when I suggested hitching back to Settle. I hadn’t hitched for two weeks after an exhausting day out in the Lakes. They hadn’t hitched for 40 years!
We split into two groups of three, got lifts within 20 minutes, and had interesting conversations with our kindly donors.
Long live ‘oldies’ hitching
 Hitch hiking in 2018 - No FM2R
In the late 70s and early 80s I routinely hitch-hiked within the UK and often went for a wander around Europe.

It was quite the thing to the extent that there was often a queue at the more popular junctions.

Is it not like that these days?
 Hitch hiking in 2018 - rtj70
I'd gladly give someone I know a lift and would even go out of my way. But legally I can't pick up a hitch hiker because company car rules exclude it.

A bit of thread drift for my benefit which is a small drift :-)

When camping/walking what do people recommend for sleeping 'mats'? I ask because most Greek accommodation has rock hard beds to planning on taking some form of mat. Thanks
 Hitch hiking in 2018 - sooty123
Can't remember the last time I saw a hitch hiker. Years and years ago.
 Hitch hiking in 2018 - henry k
>> Can't remember the last time I saw a hitch hiker. Years and years ago.
>>
The last hitch hikers I recall had vehicle trade plates on display under their arm.
I guess it was a sort of badge indicating I am no threat to you.
 Hitch hiking in 2018 - sooty123
The last hitch hikers I recall had vehicle trade plates on display under their arm.
>>
>> I guess it was a sort of badge indicating I am no threat to you.
>>

Bet it's been 10 years (at least) since I've seen one of those.
 Hitch hiking in 2018 - Manatee
There are still 'trade plate driver' jobs advertised, maybe they just don't hitch-hike any more? Perhaps because no-one will pick them up?
 Hitch hiking in 2018 - Bromptonaut
IIRC one of our (former?) members PhilW is/was such a driver?
The ones I've dealt with when getting demo cars delivered have headed to train stations to get to their next pickup point. So I've usually driven them there to save a walk.
 Hitch hiking in 2018 - PhilW
Hi Brompt and rtj,
Not contributed for a long time but do go through the messages on a regular basis!
Yes, still many "platers" around. The company I worked for (gave up in March after 10 years since "retirement") employed 100 platers and I know of at least another 5 smaller companies in Leics alone. And that doesn't count BCA who seem to employ thousands. I quite often saw platers hitch-hiking but insurance meant we were only allowed to pick up fellow workers. Very frequently (almost every day) gave/received lifts to/from colleagues because we posted our work the evening before in WhatsApp group and sorted out lifts that evening. Main reason was that we were paid for the job not by the hour and travel costs by bus or train were knocked off job price and then we were paid a percentage of job price so travel costs reduce pay. (Hope that makes sense)
Not so bad for me because of old gits bus pass and rail card hence I got/gave lifts but only hitch-hiked a couple of times when stuck in the wilds or public transport difficult (eg Peterborough to Kettering about 3 hours by PT but just down A45(?) and hitched in about half hour!)
rtj, You are the customer who is much appreciated! Makes life so much easier! Lift to station/bus stop can make the difference between a good day when you get to your last car and missing that car (and the pay!) and also having to pay for train home! Some customers are great like that others just tell you the station/bus stop is only half an hour's walk away!
Worst I had was dropping in a tiny village in Wiltshire on April 1st(!), got to blokes house, handed over nice new MB to big house, he asked where I was going next, "Marlborough" said I, "Just come from there" he said and showed me the door. Had checked bus services, one a week from village on a Wednesday and today was Weds so lucky me! Walked a mile into village, got to bus stop, notice on it said "This bus service will, from March 31st, run on Tuesdays not Weds" Walked about 3 miles before a kind old couple gave me a lift right to Marlborough station.
By the way, many colleagues used to post on WhatsApp when lift not available that "Magic Plates" had come to their rescue when having to hitch.
Sorry for long post, will probs wait another 3 or 4 years before next contribution!
Best wishes to all,
PhilW

Hitch hiking in 2018 - Bromptonaut
Welcome back Phil. Please don't wait - we really appreciate what you say even if we differ on the facts/detail.
 Hitch hiking in 2018 - Old Navy
>> When camping/walking what do people recommend for sleeping 'mats'? I ask because most Greek accommodation
>> has rock hard beds to planning on taking some form of mat. Thanks
>>

This any help? I have not used one.

campfiremag.co.uk/camping-mats/
 Hitch hiking in 2018 - R.P.
Many happy memories of hitch hiking in Europe in the summer of 77. It used to be the way to travel before I passed my test. I used to give lifts regularly. Not seen hitch-hikers in many, many years. When the Beast From the East hit and I waked down to the village to catch a bus that never came, I binned the idea after 10 minutes walked home and got the car. Bit snowflakey maybe ?

It was very much a fashion in the 70s and I loved every minute of it, year on year progressed from hitching to Inter-Rail and then to a motorbike. Happy days.
Replying to rtj70
I have an extensive collection of sleeping mats for all conditions...
The simplest is the indestructible ThermARest Z Lite closed cell pad, which fold up concertina like and is always attached to the outside of my pack. I always use it as a base layer on the tent floor then a ‘proper’ mat on top. Too bulky to take on an aircraft in your baggage.
I’d look no further than the ThermARest and Exped range of mats. A huge choice there. I’ve 4 ThermARest in all shapes, sizes and weights! A few years ago I purchased an Exped SynMat UL ( ultralight) 7 size Medium, with pump. Cost me £81, inc Exped Mini Pump from www.outdoorgb.com, whose website I highly recommend.
That UL7 is way OTT for your requirements, but I’m sure you’ll find something

Incidentally I’ve just ordered a sleeping bag from phdesigns.co.uk ( a company I use for lightweight jackets etc). Handmade in Stalybridge, Minim K series with 1000 fillpower down, extra options specced include Ultrashell water-resistant fabric and short zip. Total weight 398g. Cost is £1 per gram!!!
Worth it to an old bloke to lighten his backpacking load and I’ll certainly get my moneys worth out of it in the next few months and years. Health permitting.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 27 Jul 18 at 09:02
Any experience of these 'self inflating' things?
I have 4, possibly 5, ThermARest self inflating mats. All are different profiles, lengths, one is a very short cocoon shape, the others rectangular. Lots of choice. Too much almost.
Never had a problem with any of them, no leaks or punctures despite nights running into the 100s under canvas. The first I used was in summer 1997 camping on stony ground on a distant continent.
Before then it was the horrible antiquated yellow roll up Karrimor mats which I see the D of E youngsters still use around Settle
If you are ever in the area I’m happy to lend you some....
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 27 Jul 18 at 11:28
 Hitch hiking in 2018 - CGNorwich

>>
>> Is it not like that these days?
>>

No not at all. Like in so many ways we have become a more suspicious, fearful and less social nation.
Until yesterday my previous hitched lift was two weeks ago. Camping at Patterdale, we’d enjoyed an exhausting epic day out, walking S>N over Helvellyn and the Dodds, dropping east off Clough Head down to the old coach road track and along to Dockray and Aira Force. About 23 miles in very hot conditions.
To avoid the final 4 miles road walking we began hitching @ 7:30 pm. An elderly couple in their 80’s, from Holmfirth, drove past, turned around and came back for us. Dropped us outside the White Lion where we rehydrated before walking to our tents at Side Farm ( fabulous campsite overlooking Ullswater) and enjoying a lovely dehydrated meal made by Summit2Eat.
And yesterday’s lift was donated by another elderly person in his RAV4.
 Hitch hiking in 2018 - tyrednemotional
I've had a good few happy sessions at Side Farm over the years, or in winter in the George Starkey hut at the far entrance.

One memorable occasion included an epic journey over Kirkstone Pass on a Friday night. A convoy of three cars, in deep snow and a blizzard - we decided to go for it rather than retreat to the M6 and approach Patterdale from the North. It was a real battle with the elements, and when we dropped down the other side, the road had been barred near Brotherswater!

We were pretty well equipped with supplies, warm clothes and sleeping bags, but it was touch and go whether we made it.

The weekend was most enjoyable: I remember the snow being more than waist-deep on St Sunday Crag, but the thing that demonstrated the conditions most was that we had to dig the (Side Farm) tractor out on the farm approach road, as the driver found it impassable and couldn't move it.

By Sunday, everything had been ploughed, and we were able to exit via Kirkstone with few problems.
Time to return then
You’d be surprised how improved the new toilet and shower facilities are. As are those at Waterside, a short walk from Pooley Bridge at the NE head of Ullswater
My next toy is going to be an inflatable kayak (IK) which I’ll use both in the Lakes and take to Spain with me...not to be used during an offshore breeze otherwise I’d end up in Ibiza!
 Hitch hiking in 2018 - VxFan
Watched "There's something about Mary" the other night on Sky. The hitch hiking scene still makes me giggle, as does the rest of the film.
Latest Forum Posts