Motoring Discussion > Things that irritate a white van man. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 24

Things that irritate a white van man. - R.P.
1. Electric windows: Neither the Sprinters nor the Transits have air conditioning. This means that in between drops the windows have to be open. The Merc driver's side has one touch windows so that's easy - passenger side is one touch down but not to close.When you've done this three times in the morning it's a chore. Neither window works without the ignition on - Transits have one touch windows on both sides, open the driver's door with the window half way up and it stops...grrr..

2. Phone Zombies: Will walk in front of you, behind you when you're reversing (despite all the vans fitted with reversing bleepers)

3. Parking: People parking on verges, yellow lines, across doors at hospital sites on A&E red routes Yesterday some fellow had parked in the delivery bay of a large surgeries...he had a Disabled badge, but all (the multiple) disabled bays were empty....then had the cheek to give me a cheery wave as he squeezed past me.

I'll keep adding.
 Things that irritate a white van man. - Old Navy
At least you are getting paid for it, we just have to put up with white van man's antics! :-)
 Things that irritate a white van man. - Duncan
>> 1. Electric windows:......

>> 2. Phone Zombies:......

>> 3. Parking:.......

>> I'll keep adding.

If I recall correctly, you are a professional in the legal field. No? You don't have to drive a van.

Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 19 Jul 18 at 17:29
It tops up my meagre pension and (generally) keeps me out of mischief for two or three days a week. I wanted a job with no in tray and not necessarily coming into contact with the public. Nurses are very nice though. Part of the "gig" economy now Duncan - come and go as I please. Stick it out until I'm bored and moved on. Been offered hours as an advocate for children - I'd rather stick pins in myself.
 Things that irritate a white van man. - Duncan
Thank you.

I have a nasty feeling that I made a similar point to you some time ago. My apologies if I did.
 Things that irritate a white van man. - bathtub tom
I'd a similar job, post retirement. Bane of my life was employees parking in loading bays. Had a big tiff with one manager who said " how dare I get an employee out of a meeting to move their car?" I hadn't, it was someone else, who pointed out I wasn't making the delivery whilst parked on double yellows.
I didn't deliver in that case and had no further problems at that site.

I recall one instance when stopped in a queue of traffic at lights of feeling the van 'dip' and seeing in the mirrors someone on the rear bumper peering in through the back windows. Presumably they couldn't see anything they thought worth nicking (the back doors were locked). Made me grateful I'd locked the doors - what do you do if someone nicks something and legs it in the opposite you're travelling?
 Things that irritate a white van man. - Bobby
As an occasional van driver I agree with everything you note - we have just taken delivery of a brand new Kangoo van and I had hoped it would have air con but doesnt.

My Transit is a 2007 and has windy up windows but the 2012 Vivaro has leccie ones. All 3 vans resemble mobile saunas when travelling in this good weather - windows down is a must!

Another pet hate is rear door configuration - both the Transit and Vivaro have dents on the back doors where someone has slammed the doors in the wrong order so slammed one door against the other doors solid steel catch! in fact I am going to put big signs on the inside of the doors saying "shut this door first"

Ply lined floors that cover the spare wheel mechanism

Transit brake light bulbs that seem to last half a day at a time

Things that irritate a white van man. - Pat
>>Transit brake light bulbs that seem to last half a day at a time<<

Well done for checking them Bobby, so many never do.

Pat

( ) People who bimble along in lane 1 at 50mph...and there are a lot of them. Means that trucks have to pass them at 56ish and me at 60ish. Likewise bimbling idiots who won't move to lane 2 when trying to join from a slip road. Not much of an issue in the car or on the bike, just engage warp factor 1. Mimsing craphounds.
 Things that irritate a white van man. - CGNorwich

"Likewise bimbling idiots who won't move to lane 2 when trying to join from a slip road."

if they are only doing 50 then probably not a good idea for them to move into lane two.

At the end of the day it is your job to adust your speed to the traffic on the motorway not the other way round irritating as it may be to you. Surprising the number of people who cannot smoothly join a motorway

Lane 2 was deserted....this is Wales.
Pat mentioned shutting rear doors in the wrong order. Predictably I managed to do this once...bloomin' Merc Badge came off ! Now glued back on..
 Things that irritate a white van man. - Old Navy
>> if they are only doing 50 then probably not a good idea for them to
>> move into lane two.
>>

It amazes me how many people will not use their cars capabilities and accelerate at a snails pace. Are they terrified of speed, afraid of using fuel, worried about wearing out their car, or just b***** minded?
 Things that irritate a white van man. - CGNorwich

>> It amazes me how many people will not use their cars capabilities and accelerate at
>> a snails pace. Are they terrified of speed, afraid of using fuel, worried about wearing
>> out their car, or just b***** minded?
>>

Possibly all of that but nevertheless if you are joining a motorway with the traffic moving at 50 mph it’s not difficult to adhjust your speed accordingly and overtake when safe to do so. Better than getting annoyed.

Some years ago I had the misfortune to have a puncture and use one of those emergency spare wheels. My journey necessitated driving forty or so miles on the M11 at sub 50mph speeds. The aggressive tailgating and cutting in I encountered was unbelievable and downright dangerous. It pays to realise that there may be a reason for what you call mimsing.
Slip roads a FDGLF* for me. Not much use in a Transit though

(Foot Down Go Like er..Fury)
Holidays have started Mimising Craphounds abound now until the end of August.
 Things that irritate a white van man. - No FM2R
I was puzzling over that until I re-read it as "mimsing" rather than "minimising".
Long day Mark. Usually this run starts at 8.30ish and finishes at 1.30. Due to an incorrectly addressed (urgent) package I had to double back and didn't get back to the depot until gone 3.30...I needed a lie down...!
 Things that irritate a white van man. - Tigger
>> Holidays have started Mimising Craphounds abound now until the end of August.
>>
But many fewer people on the road for my commute to/from work (6-7am and 4:30-6pm)
>>Slip roads a FDGLF* for me. <<

Rest assured RP lorry drivers much prefer your approach to the 'shall I, Shan't I dithering' we so often see.

You know just what you're going to do and you do it, so easing off a tad is a pleasure then.

Pat
 Things that irritate a white van man. - John Boy
I was a white van man for 4 years, post retirement. I delivered car tyres to garages around South London and the M25.

I learnt to ignore the stupid things other drivers did, otherwise my working life would have been misery. By Thursday evening, however, I could feel myself becoming aggressive and going faster. I had to take a real grip on myself to get through Friday. The hours were 10.30am to 3.30pm, to avoid commuting traffic, but it rarely worked out that way. Getting paid the same, however long it took to do the deliveries, isn't conducive to careful driving.

By and large, though, I enjoyed the job. It was good to be outdoors after working indoors for most of my life. A particular pleasure was being able to watch great swathes of countryside changing with the seasons. If I ever finished early, I would joyride rather than go back to the depot. It was a job share - 1 week on, 1 week off. I think I may have hated it if it was full-time.
What John says !

I'm quite cool, nothing much annoys me. I had, what some may describe, as a run in with a patient at a surgery today. My drop/collect takes around two minutes (occasionally longer if, like today I was delivering ten boxes of prescriptions) so I block people in (some use disabled bays - I won't)..I'd blocked this woman in and she started on me..all I said was "the world is a stage and we are merely players upon it" - this instantly calmed her down...! ( Just heard Elvis sing it on the radio)..otherwise it's mostly Zen for me.

Oddities of the day were two dogs, miles apart, running across the path of my van..what was that all about ?

Back early into the depot and spent a happy hour replacing out of date kit from Mass Casualty Bags...sorts of sets you up for leaving that !
>>( Just heard Elvis sing it on the radio)..otherwise it's mostly Zen for me.<<

There's a Radio 2 man, I heard that too, and sang along:)

Pat
Radio 2 after 9.30 - when that dreadful Chris Evans goes home, then on until, midday - If Jeremy Vine is too shouty I go over to Radio 4 and stay there for the Archers. I've developed the knack of getting the whole 12 minutes of it in between drops.
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 25 Jul 18 at 21:08
 Things that irritate a white van man. - bathtub tom
Last job I had driving a van, had a cassette player. Brilliant, meant I could record radio 4 plays and stuff and listen to them on working time.
I've dozens of Hancock and Navy Lark on my PVR that I doubt I'll ever get round to listening to.
Latest Forum Posts